This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is this platform specific RAM bulls***?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What is this platform specific RAM bulls***?

User Info: Ciera

Ciera
6 months ago#21
Viper187666 posted...
For f*** sake. Is the ridiculous divide in video cards with Gsync and Freesync and all this bulls*** not bad enough? Now we have to worry about which RAM works with AMD vs Intel

This is hardly a new thing. Platform/chipset specific RAM compatibility (and even motherboard specific compatibility within the same chipset) has ALWAYS been a thing. Stop being f***ing lazy and do your due diligence when putting your build together. It's your own time you're wasting either way.
I'll... shave that cat.

User Info: Rexdragon125

Rexdragon125
6 months ago#22
Just look at your motherboard's RAM QVL and search partnumbers for brands you like on Newegg. Boom everything works. RAM isn't as simple as it looks.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
6 months ago#23
gideond posted...
Kokuei05 posted...
LazyyAmerican posted...
Thought it was already proven that RAM speeds are mostly irrelevant in terms of performance?

Proven for DDR3. Proven otherwise with DDR4.

Plus, Ryzen's performance is centered around fast DDR4.

Even modern Intel platforms don't benefit a huge deal from faster RAM, but Ryzen definitely does. Their memory controller design is finicky, but it certainly has some advantages as well.

Yeah, every RAM benchmark I've ever seen has basically shown a few percentage points at best performance difference between different RAM sticks of various speeds/latencies. In the grand scheme of things the performance impact is likely minimal at best. I've always thought the people obsessed with RAM speeds/latencies etc. just want the better numbers to put in their profiles etc. - like the people who buy high-end CPUs, overclock and watercool them and then only play a handful of games.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: Judgmenl

Judgmenl
6 months ago#24
JKatarn posted...
like the people who buy high-end CPUs, overclock and watercool them and then only play a handful of games.

*Raises hand*
Judge, Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
You're a regular Jack Kerouac

User Info: gideond

gideond
6 months ago#25
Judgmenl posted...
JKatarn posted...
like the people who buy high-end CPUs, overclock and watercool them and then only play a handful of games.

*Raises hand*

Yeah let's be honest here. This is a completely different scenario. My OCed 7700k definitely loads email faster that it did before OCing the thing. Just like the Ryzen build we did at work. The user actually asked me why I put so many lights in the case. I had to explain to the poor soul that computers run slower in the dark and brighter lights speed up the processor. Common knowledge and such. ....He'll never fall asleep in the office again..heh..heh.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
6 months ago#26
JKatarn posted...
gideond posted...
Kokuei05 posted...
LazyyAmerican posted...
Thought it was already proven that RAM speeds are mostly irrelevant in terms of performance?

Proven for DDR3. Proven otherwise with DDR4.

Plus, Ryzen's performance is centered around fast DDR4.

Even modern Intel platforms don't benefit a huge deal from faster RAM, but Ryzen definitely does. Their memory controller design is finicky, but it certainly has some advantages as well.

Yeah, every RAM benchmark I've ever seen has basically shown a few percentage points at best performance difference between different RAM sticks of various speeds/latencies. In the grand scheme of things the performance impact is likely minimal at best. I've always thought the people obsessed with RAM speeds/latencies etc. just want the better numbers to put in their profiles etc. - like the people who buy high-end CPUs, overclock and watercool them and then only play a handful of games.

It's just that modern platforms are so fast that current games don't get bottlenecked enough to show the differences.

Seven years ago, gaming tests showed RAM speeds barely mattered for Sandy Bridge. But look at it in modern games.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-is-it-finally-time-to-upgrade-your-core-i5-2500k

And here's one for the i7 8700k. Going from 2133 Mhz to 2666 Mhz at stock speed, yields a better performance increase than OC to 5 Ghz with 2133 Mhz.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-intel-coffee-lake-core-i7-8700k-review_1
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What is this platform specific RAM bulls***?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived