This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A review of Pool of Radiance for Ms-Dos

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. A review of Pool of Radiance for Ms-Dos

User Info: st1ka

st1ka
7 months ago#1
Hi everyone, I have a small YouTube channel dedicated to retro games and this week I decided to review Pool of Radiance for Ms-Dos computers.

I had heard the game was good, but no one told me you could save the world with a party entirely comprised of transgendered Sean Conneries. So huh.. yeah, good game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr2bap33vjs

User Info: Cruzader619

Cruzader619
7 months ago#2
shameless plug is shameless
"If you commit suicide on this forest, bears will poop on your corpse."

User Info: LazyyAmerican

LazyyAmerican
7 months ago#3
Oh man you got me at transgendered Sean Conneries...I totes clicked and subscribed!
You've got ten minutes. There's policies even your section have to follow
I'll be sure to forward your message to the president.

User Info: spike_spiegel

spike_spiegel
7 months ago#4
LazyyAmerican posted...
Oh man you got me at transgendered Sean Conneries...I totes clicked and subscribed!

I haven't even watched it yet and that got a laugh out of me

User Info: Hi C

Hi C
7 months ago#5
My favorite gold box campaign but it's also the only game I will ever use the term "archaic" as a pejorative for. The controls are absolutely soul crushing along with it's first sequel Curse of the Azure Bonds.

Having to use arrow keys, home row, and numpad as directional selection depending on what screen you're on is the most bats*** insane design I have ever seen in game.

Later gold box games fixed the controls soon after but PoR was never redone with them.

Also late 80's Denuvo
http://www.c64sets.com/pool_radiance/por_whe01.jpg
I5-4590 | ASUS H97i-PLUS & VS239hp | 8GB Ballistix Sport | 1TB+2TB WD Blue | Cooler Master N200 | ASUS GTX 960 Strix 2GB

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
7 months ago#6
Hi C posted...
Having to use arrow keys, home row, and numpad as directional selection depending on what screen you're on is the most bats*** insane design I have ever seen in game.

Later gold box games fixed the controls soon after but PoR was never redone with them.

The ability to use regular-ass arrow keys to select characters and stuff on the main menus instead of having to use Home/End and crap in the sequels was a gift, but the real improvement was the addition of the "Fix" command.

Having to spam Cure Light Wounds and rest over and over to heal? Gross. Actually, in PoR did it even automatically re-select the same spells you had memorized last time or did you have to re-select them yourself? You know what, I'd rather not think about it.

Anyway, my favorite Gold Box game by far was Death Knights of Krynn and then Pools of Darkness was a distant second, and DKK only has one game to beat before you start its campaign whereas PoD has 3, which is way too much effort to get started, so I'll probably be OK never playing PoR again. Or maybe one more time but that's it!!

TC: Did not watch your thing. Congratulations on playing an old game, though.

User Info: st1ka

st1ka
7 months ago#7
Cruzader619 posted...
shameless plug is shameless

Shameless? Yes, but you can save the world with a team of transgendered Sean Conneries, so it can't be all bad ^^

User Info: Nazanir

Nazanir
7 months ago#8
As much as I liked the game, I got hit by a nasty bug once: there is an uninstall bug in this game (or atleast used to be) and it could take out the windows partition with it. Which happened to me.
XboX GT/Steam/Wii-U - Nazanir

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
7 months ago#9
Nazanir posted...
As much as I liked the game, I got hit by a nasty bug once: there is an uninstall bug in this game (or atleast used to be) and it could take out the windows partition with it. Which happened to me.

This is an MS-DOS game. Are you sure you aren't thinking of the reboot that came out a couple decades later?

User Info: Nazanir

Nazanir
7 months ago#10
ElDudorino posted...
Nazanir posted...

This is an MS-DOS game. Are you sure you aren't thinking of the reboot that came out a couple decades later?

You are right, I got my games confused.
XboX GT/Steam/Wii-U - Nazanir
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. A review of Pool of Radiance for Ms-Dos

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived