This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Curved screen worth it?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Curved screen worth it?

User Info: jedinat

jedinat
1 month ago#11
It seems really pointless. No media is designed for a curved display. Seems like it would just screw up perception for no reason.

User Info: Born Lucky

Born Lucky
1 month ago#12
Orestes417 posted...
Born Lucky posted...
The last CES - 200 different television sets - not one curved screen.

Televisions are not monitors. Completely different viewing distance. Up close the curvature can be nice, especially if you're doing multimonitor.

Curved screens of all types are dying out, so what's the point of getting used to something that's not even going to be around 10 years from now?
Corsair 550D/ Gigabyte Z170X Gaming3 / Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 / i-5 6600k / MSI Twin Frozr VI GTX 1060 / Thermaltake NiC C5

User Info: KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade
1 month ago#13
I want all Curved Monitors to stop being manufactured and go back to flat monitors that are as Thin / Light Weight as possible.

If LG can make a super flat / thin TV; there is no reason why my monitor can't be < 5 mm thin with < 4mm bezels on all sides.
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'

User Info: reincarnator07

reincarnator07
1 month ago#14
I have a 48" curved TV and while it looks fantastic, I'm pretty sure the benefit is negligible. I sit quite close to my TV and am the only one viewing it, so I should be the best use case for it too. I may be singing a different tune if I had a really wide screen or multi monitor setup.

It certainly doesn't look any worse than a flat TV though. You don't need content designed specifically for a curved screen either. I'd have no objections to buying another one, but I wouldn't pay a price premium and I wouldn't replace existing hardware unless there was no cost. If you've already got a nice display, I wouldn't bother switching it out. It's a sidegrade at best.
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#15
KamenRiderBlade posted...
I want all Curved Monitors to stop being manufactured and go back to flat monitors that are as Thin / Light Weight as possible.

If LG can make a super flat / thin TV; there is no reason why my monitor can't be < 5 mm thin with < 4mm bezels on all sides.

They could even make them paper thin.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
1 month ago#16
captsplatter_1 posted...

That might be a bit extreme. Maybe more like cardboard?
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade
1 month ago#17
vlado_e posted...
captsplatter_1 posted...

That might be a bit extreme. Maybe more like cardboard?
Have you seen the Super Thin TV that Linus from LTT put up on his wall? We should all have access to monitors that thin.
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
1 month ago#18
Outside of very specific circumstances, curved screens really are a temporary gimmick, and I'm sure it will die out if it's not already dead. Curved TVs were worthless, and curved monitors only really mattered if you have an exceptionally wide screen - wider than 16:9, like 21:9 - and only if they're large enough. The curve forces a much more specific viewing point, and depending on how significant the curve is, can cause distortion since games are not designed to account for that really. They may not be *100%* pointless, but they're pretty close.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
1 month ago#19
Born Lucky posted...
so what's the point of getting used to something that's not even going to be around 10 years from now?

Plenty of dog owners would disagree with your assessment.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
1 month ago#20
Dragon Nexus posted...
Born Lucky posted...
so what's the point of getting used to something that's not even going to be around 10 years from now?

Plenty of dog owners would disagree with your assessment.

Not a dog owner, but I'd agree that's not a very good basis for making a decision, unless it's something meant to be a long-term investment, and you know it will not last its projected lifespan.

In terms of a curved screen, the fact they probably won't be making them any more in 10 years is totally not a legit reason to not get one. If you think there might be something that causes an issue with them later, that would be a valid reason. If they required a specific sort of content/format that would likely not be supported down the road, it would also be a valid concern. Curved screens use the exact same format as flat ones though, so honestly, "they won't be making them 10 years from now" is totally irrelevant.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Curved screen worth it?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived