This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Curved screen worth it?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Curved screen worth it?

User Info: Critcal50

Critcal50
3 months ago#1
To any curved monitor owners, is it worth it? - Results (101 votes)
Yes
16.83% (17 votes)
No
83.17% (84 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Right now I have a flat 1440p, but the curved monitors arent as expensive as I thought they were.
So to any curved monitor owners, would you say its worth upgrading?
EVGA GTX 970 SC | i5-6600k | Corsair 8 x 2 DDR4 | ASUS Z170A | NZXT Phantom 410

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
3 months ago#2
It gives you a better natural feel for the game it curves to your natural eye. Just do not expect to see it from the side lol.
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: Superemppu

Superemppu
3 months ago#3
100% preference thing.
If brute force doesn't fix the problem, you're not using enough of it.

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
3 months ago#4
I wouldn't want to use a 21:9 monitor without a curve. My Predator has a bit of visible shimmering on the last 10 pixels or so on each side when I'm looking at it dead center that disappears when I turn my head. Definitely worth it in that situation, and I wish it was slightly more curved actually, it's less curved than the previous 21:9 that I tried which didn't seem to have that issue.

For 16:9 I haven't personally ever seen the need for it, I'm sure some people like it, some people don't, and most won't care. If you've ever noticed distortion on the edges of your monitor give it a shot. The only situation I'd avoid it would be If you frequently watch videos with other people on your monitor or if you tend to lean to one side or the other while sitting at your computer.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: Born Lucky

Born Lucky
3 months ago#5
The last CES - 200 different television sets - not one curved screen.
That should answer the question.
They're not even making them anymore - just selling off the surplus.
Corsair 550D/ Gigabyte Z170X Gaming3 / Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 / i-5 6600k / MSI Twin Frozr VI GTX 1060 / Thermaltake NiC C5

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 months ago#6
Born Lucky posted...
The last CES - 200 different television sets - not one curved screen.

Televisions are not monitors. Completely different viewing distance. Up close the curvature can be nice, especially if you're doing multimonitor.
Even I'm not crazy enough to believe that distortion of reality

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
3 months ago#7
Orestes417 posted...
Televisions are not monitors. Completely different viewing distance. Up close the curvature can be nice, especially if you're doing multimonitor.

That was my impression as well. I saw a curved TV at a hardware place and it didn't seem useful as you generally sit far away from it. I've yet to actually use a curved screen but it seemed like it's a better fit, since you are up close, where the curve is going to be more relevant.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: thelocalhentai

thelocalhentai
3 months ago#8
If it wasn't a premium, I'd leave it up to preference but since they seem to be higher cost than other comparable flat monitors, then no.

Although, it's probably one of those things that feels weird without after using it for so long.

User Info: Amuseum

Amuseum
3 months ago#9
Curved only makes sense if original media source (film, game ) was designed for curved output.

Say a group of people are lined up in a straight row. They come out straight in a straight screen as expected, but would look like surrounding you on a curved screen.

Same with 3 d games. Their calculations assume a flat screen. Otherwise some objects would appear farther or closer than actual locations.
Ergonomic keyboard layouts for Android https://goo.gl/KR1vK6
5-suited Draw Poker for Android http://goo.gl/KhmXi

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
3 months ago#10
I imagine it works better with higher FOV, but the price premuim for it is not worth it.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Curved screen worth it?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived