This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else playing/recently played Secret of Mana in prep for the remake?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Anyone else playing/recently played Secret of Mana in prep for the remake?

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
6 months ago#11
Nah, you're still wrong. And "Speed" can mean many things in relation to the game, hence the need to detail instead of being lazy. You "break" SoM with spellspam. They both have their own exploits.
My current setup: https://i.imgur.com/c8xbRW0.png
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/q7RXULk.png

User Info: voldothegr8

voldothegr8
6 months ago#12
Rosencroitz posted...
nominturddaddy posted...
Meh. I prefer Evermore. The games are pretty similar, I think it mostly comes down to which atmosphere you prefer.

I love Evermore, but it isn't even close. The stamina recharge is far too slow, and the game is far too easy to break.

SoM is pretty easy to break as well.
Oda break tracker 2018- 0 (1) | THE Ohio State: 11-2 | Oakland Raiders: 6-10
Super Mario Maker Profile: 1237-0000-0073-02FE

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
6 months ago#13
Secret of Evermore also never did this to you, because you have temporary invulnerability after getting hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB8kOW248qM

SoM is actually quite s***. I always forget exactly how bad it was until I try replaying it again. Will be interesting to see if the remake tidied up all the issues, or left them in for "legacy reasons" to not piss off the stubborn dips***s that dislike improvement, just like Mega Man Legacy Collection 1.

SoE is definitely dated, but at least it isn't dogs***. It's mostly just boring now, though it's hard to say if that's due to what it is in 2018, or if it's because I've completed it multiple times. The Pyramid was definitely a chore though.
My current setup: https://i.imgur.com/c8xbRW0.png
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/q7RXULk.png

User Info: Ivany2008

Ivany2008
6 months ago#14
tbh the remake looks pretty awful. I hate skinny noodle arm figures with no definition.

As for the best Secret style game, I go with Terranigma. Damn shame we never got it stateside.

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
6 months ago#15
Rosencroitz posted...
red_robin posted...
Naw but I might play secret of evermore since it's so similar but actually good.

What a god-awful opinion.
OK so your saying it tried to use a blocked port, got blocked, and switched to an unblocked port while waiting for the user to respond? - Why I love Gfaqs.

User Info: kbe2k2

kbe2k2
6 months ago#16
I have the game complete in box and play through it almost every year, no interest in this remake though.

Ivany2008 posted...
tbh the remake looks pretty awful. I hate skinny noodle arm figures with no definition.

As for the best Secret style game, I go with Terranigma. Damn shame we never got it stateside.

Yea it's a shame, many ways to play it though these days or the reproductions for NTSC are fairly priced.

User Info: BackAlleyNeko

BackAlleyNeko
6 months ago#17
No. It's been a couple of years since I last played through SoM for what feels like the millionth time. (a lot of SNES RPGs are like that for me). I'm so familiar with it that I want to go straight into this remake and see how I feel about it as I play. My memory's good so if something is amiss, I'll definitely be able to tell.

I did enjoy the Final Fantasy Adventure/Seiken remake, and that was another game I played to death way back when. Considering how accurate that one was in the general gameplay feel, I'm honestly expecting about the same with this game, but maybe with some fixes for the issues like stunlocking, though it's hilarious and fun to do it to enemies with magic. Even FFA was a bit more forgiving in that regard since when you were hit, you just got knocked back; no extra animation where you temporarily have no control, yet the enemy could hit you again. Much easier to move out of the way of the next attack, heal, or retaliate.

It's a little more manageable in SoM once you have more than one character since when you get caught in something like that, you can switch to another and try to beat the monsters off them, or heal whoever is getting screwed over. Of course, if all the characters are stuck in it (and I've seen it happen before), well......that's some unfortunate s*** indeed.

Ivany2008
6 months ago#18
kbe2k2 posted...
I have the game complete in box and play through it almost every year, no interest in this remake though.

Ivany2008 posted...

Yea it's a shame, many ways to play it though these days or the reproductions for NTSC are fairly priced.

surprisingly they aren't. for a repo cart its usually around 50 bucks Canadian when they are in stock. The regular European version is about 180 dollars. I'll stick to the repo, or emulated, and its one of the few times I say emulation is worth it since there are so few copies around these days.

User Info: stav8

stav8
6 months ago#19
Gonna play the original on snesini after finishing earthbound
NZXT Stormforce 240:16GB DDR4 RAM:Core i5 6600k: GTX 1060 6 GB: 2TB SSHD:2TB HDD:128 GB SSD:AS ROCK Z170 EXTREME 4; CORSAIR 750W: THERMALTAKE 3.0 LIQUID COOLING

Ivany2008
6 months ago#20
probably not best to brag about that on here. Mods don't like people talking about roms or emulators on here for some reason.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Anyone else playing/recently played Secret of Mana in prep for the remake?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived