This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How Many People Would Be Interested in Watching Movies in Bigscreen Beta in VR?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How Many People Would Be Interested in Watching Movies in Bigscreen Beta in VR?

User Info: DarthBuzzer

DarthBuzzer
3 months ago#21
32x2z posted...
arleas posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
Also, can't tell if "lol this is wholesome" was being sarcastic and implying it's not actually wholesome (and what's unwholesome about it?), or if it was mocking the fact that it does seem wholesome (in which case, what's wrong with wholesome?). >_>

Either way, he probably doesn't even have VR. If you don't have a Vive, Rift or something compatible with those then you couldn't even show up to try to mock me online.

32x2z posted...
This is a cool concept. Posting to keep bumped.

Last month just before New Years Eve they had an official (as in movie theater sponsored) showing of Top Gun in 3D. I went to see it and it was kinda neat, but the 3D effect wasn't very special. I get the feeling they just sorta went in on certain scenes and tried to digitally make it 3D and so outside of the dogfight scenes it was just like watching it on a flat screen.

I'm thinking the movie industry is gonna try to make it so going to the virtual movie theater is definitely a thing...

I think the movie industry should be all VR with headphones. Enough with me hearing people react to movies so loudly I cannot hear what the movie is saying and miss out on elements of the plot. I don't like paying for VR movies from home, this is dumb. I understand it's a premium to enjoy movies from home and that's why blockbuster went out of business, but going to the movies means getting popcorn popped in front of you, candy, paying ridiculous prices, arcades, seeing people/families, getting together with friends in person, waiting in line for star wars, wearing nice clothes/shoes, avoiding creepers in the bathrooms, hearing that THX sound, ect. It's a ritual at least here in the USA, I don't ever see the movie industry going strictly to VR unless it's VR at a movie theatre. Movie industry will lose out on sales from food, advertising (I'm not talking just commercials), and all the investing they've done to keep up with the pace of technology.

I like this concept though, I like where this is going in the end.

You can simulate arcades, and still have that THX sound. You can also visit family and friends no matter the distance. As for popcorn and candy, you can get your own at home. In a few years, we'll have VR headsets that map out your hands and bring real world objects into VR using computer vision, so you would have no issue eating and keeping coordinated.

You can also experiment more with screen sizes and curvature, have virtual 4D effects for movies like bees coming out of the screen. You can end the movie with a fireworks display. Basically the possibilities are endless.

When VR headsets are at a retinal resolution, wireless and in a glasses form factor, I don't see why anyone would ever go to a real cinema if they had VR and all the content was available there. Especially since you'd be able to bring it with you wherever you want.

DarthBuzzer
3 months ago#22
KillerTruffle posted...
Physical theaters aren't going away in the immediate future - if ever. I mean, we all have TVs and computers, which give us the ability to watch movies in the comfort of our own home, and theaters still exist.

The thing is, something like VR is much better experienced in the comfort of your own home rather than plastering other people's sweat, saliva, and who knows what else all over your face by re-wearing a public VR headset. Proper sanitary measures can help alleviate that, but I don't even play the VR test sets in places like Best Buy. They do *have* some things in place to help with sanitizing, but that's basically a canister of wet wipes or whatever, and times I've watched, they don't use those frequently.

It's not necessarily the theaters' fault either, but they're just very dirty places. People spill crap all the time, and make messes, and leave trash, and wipe things on other things, and all kinds of stuff. I still enjoy going, but I think I'd draw the line at throwing something on my face that I can't guarantee has been fully and properly cleaned after Little Timmy Tuberculosis wore it prior.

The big difference is that TVs are inferior to a massive IMAX screen. VR can simulate an IMAX screen down to every detail including the resolution, once VR improves in that department. It would be absolutely no different, except that you could take it anywhere.

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
3 months ago#23
arleas posted...
32x2z posted...
I don't like paying for VR movies from home, this is dumb. I understand it's a premium to enjoy movies from home and that's why blockbuster went out of business, but going to the movies means getting popcorn popped in front of you, candy, paying ridiculous prices, arcades, seeing people/families, getting together with friends in person, waiting in line for star wars, wearing nice clothes/shoes, avoiding creepers in the bathrooms, hearing that THX sound, ect. It's a ritual at least here in the USA, I don't ever see the movie industry going strictly to VR unless it's VR at a movie theatre. Movie industry will lose out on sales from food, advertising (I'm not talking just commercials), and all the investing they've done to keep up with the pace of technology.

I don't know how they plan on making it work but like I said, the movie industry (aka the people who pay for movies to be made) were the ones who invested millions into Big Screen Beta specifically to make it into a home theater for movie watching.

I'm sure it won't be "strictly VR" since that would piss off the theater owners who would then be losing even more business, but I don't think the theaters are doing that well anyway. They're too old fashioned and set in their ways and when technology changes it'll move right past them leaving them behind.

The only way I've seen them try to keep up with technology is 3D movies with shutter glasses and that didn't go over that well. Maybe I'm wrong and there's a bunch of stuff behind the scenes. I personally haven't been to a movie theater since the early 2000's...2001 or 2002.

I like theaters now more then back then. They serve dinner at them now with your show and the seating is very nice and 3d glasses are easy to obtain. Public picture shows have always been a thing, I don't foresee it going away, but who knows I'm not a prophet.

KillerTruffle posted...
32x2z posted...
I don't ever see the movie industry going strictly to VR unless it's VR at a movie theatre.

I would hate VR at a movie theater, strictly because of hygiene. I'm not especially OCD, but theaters aren't clean. And when you take a VR headset and reuse it among thousands of different people, yeah, that's gonna get disgusting. They'd need to find some pretty amazing ways to keep it sanitary.

It better be cleaner then just wiping down with disinfectant. It'd be cool if they standardize a process of cleaning them.
OK so your saying it tried to use a blocked port, got blocked, and switched to an unblocked port while waiting for the user to respond? - Why I love Gfaqs.

User Info: rpgian

rpgian
3 months ago#24
You'd be in a mountain of trouble the moment money enters into it in anyway. You didn't license them for use. They'd slap at you if it got popular enough even w/o it.

I hope you are in China or some country where they tell the copyright cartel to shove off before providing any kind of streaming/download service to other peoples ip.

Seems innocent, but their copyright lawyers bathe their johnsons in the blood of the innocent.

Not a fire I'd play with, being a provider that is.

32x2z
3 months ago#25
DarthBuzzer posted...
32x2z posted...
arleas posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
Also, can't tell if "lol this is wholesome" was being sarcastic and implying it's not actually wholesome (and what's unwholesome about it?), or if it was mocking the fact that it does seem wholesome (in which case, what's wrong with wholesome?). >_>

Either way, he probably doesn't even have VR. If you don't have a Vive, Rift or something compatible with those then you couldn't even show up to try to mock me online.

32x2z posted...

Last month just before New Years Eve they had an official (as in movie theater sponsored) showing of Top Gun in 3D. I went to see it and it was kinda neat, but the 3D effect wasn't very special. I get the feeling they just sorta went in on certain scenes and tried to digitally make it 3D and so outside of the dogfight scenes it was just like watching it on a flat screen.

I'm thinking the movie industry is gonna try to make it so going to the virtual movie theater is definitely a thing...

I think the movie industry should be all VR with headphones. Enough with me hearing people react to movies so loudly I cannot hear what the movie is saying and miss out on elements of the plot. I don't like paying for VR movies from home, this is dumb. I understand it's a premium to enjoy movies from home and that's why blockbuster went out of business, but going to the movies means getting popcorn popped in front of you, candy, paying ridiculous prices, arcades, seeing people/families, getting together with friends in person, waiting in line for star wars, wearing nice clothes/shoes, avoiding creepers in the bathrooms, hearing that THX sound, ect. It's a ritual at least here in the USA, I don't ever see the movie industry going strictly to VR unless it's VR at a movie theatre. Movie industry will lose out on sales from food, advertising (I'm not talking just commercials), and all the investing they've done to keep up with the pace of technology.

You can simulate arcades, and still have that THX sound. You can also visit family and friends no matter the distance. As for popcorn and candy, you can get your own at home. In a few years, we'll have VR headsets that map out your hands and bring real world objects into VR using computer vision, so you would have no issue eating and keeping coordinated.

You can also experiment more with screen sizes and curvature, have virtual 4D effects for movies like bees coming out of the screen. You can end the movie with a fireworks display. Basically the possibilities are endless.

When VR headsets are at a retinal resolution, wireless and in a glasses form factor, I don't see why anyone would ever go to a real cinema if they had VR and all the content was available there. Especially since you'd be able to bring it with you wherever you want.

I don't think I would enjoy life behind a filter even with all those luxuries. How many people outside of the elderly would want VR instead of real life? Sure for video games it'd be cool, but for everything?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szzVlQ653as
OK so your saying it tried to use a blocked port, got blocked, and switched to an unblocked port while waiting for the user to respond? - Why I love Gfaqs.

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
3 months ago#26
32x2z posted...
It better be cleaner then just wiping down with disinfectant. It'd be cool if they standardize a process of cleaning them.

Think about how clean just the theater floor itself is on opening weekend for a major movie (Star Wars, etc.). Most theaters do a decent job, but there's always leftover stickiness, occasional trash, etc. left over. It's harder for them to do a great job when it's really busy/full. Now apply that level of detailed cleanliness to something you stick on your face. :P

Yeah, I'd be just fine with bringing the general big screen experience home in VR for new movies, if it was super high detail, etc. The popcorn I make is way healthier and tastes better than theater popcorn anyway
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

DarthBuzzer
3 months ago#27
32x2z posted...
DarthBuzzer posted...
32x2z posted...
arleas posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

32x2z posted...

I don't think I would enjoy life behind a filter even with all those luxuries. How many people outside of the elderly would want VR instead of real life? Sure for video games it'd be cool, but for everything?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szzVlQ653as

The idea is not necessarily that everyone has a VR headset. It's that everyone would have a pair of mixed reality glasses that do both AR and VR and act as a replacement for smartphones, TVs and monitors.

I don't need a massive TV just sitting there in one spot if I can have an equally good virtual screen on a wall, or take it with me. Or have several that curve.

User Info: arleas

arleas
3 months ago#28
rpgian posted...
You'd be in a mountain of trouble the moment money enters into it in anyway. You didn't license them for use. They'd slap at you if it got popular enough even w/o it.

I hope you are in China or some country where they tell the copyright cartel to shove off before providing any kind of streaming/download service to other peoples ip.

Seems innocent, but their copyright lawyers bathe their johnsons in the blood of the innocent.

Not a fire I'd play with, being a provider that is.

At the moment things are pretty much on the same level as if I asked some friends over to watch at my place.... the difference here is my place is in Bigscreen Beta on the internet.

I'm not "a provider" because I'm not charging money for the service and I'm only showing it to myself and a handful of friends, or as I've learned from this topic (and from discord) nobody but randos on the internet. You're assuming my topic is about running some kind of service except all I was thinking was, I'm gonna watch a movie, does anyone want to watch too?

As for "as soon as money gets into it", the money is already into it. As I said already, they had an official showing of Top Gun 3D back around the end of 2017 (like the 29th of December) so what they're probably planning on is having bigscreen beta be the official VR movie watching portal.

They've invested millions into this expressly for this purpose, so it's not going to be a problem, relax. If they were going to sue anyone, they'd sue the guy who made Bigscreen beta, except they wouldn't because they're giving them money to make it into the perfect VR theater...which it is.

https://blog.bigscreenvr.com/the-cinema-update-our-biggest-release-yet-f8cd96e4067c

They're not trying to hide it... it's not shady. If they wanted to sue they probably would have the C&D already sent to the developers and it would get pulled from steam until they could do something to prevent people from showing movies to other people.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
https://i.imgur.com/Po5TbWg.jpg

32x2z
3 months ago#29
I agree the cleanliness would never be up to the standards to be. VR hopefully will never happen in movie theaters. I can see it dying out considering it's just not healthy to share sweaty headsets with random strangers.

I would like glasses that replace smartphones, tv's, monitors and etc. I already replaced my phone with a watch. VR is definitely the way of the future that is for sure.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How Many People Would Be Interested in Watching Movies in Bigscreen Beta in VR?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived