This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So is AMD out of the GPU market?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So is AMD out of the GPU market?

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
3 months ago#11
AMD has honestly been out of the GPU game since the 200 series. 7970 was the last beast card they debuted imo. HBM is great but not enough vram.
OK so your saying it tried to use a blocked port, got blocked, and switched to an unblocked port while waiting for the user to respond? - Why I love Gfaqs.

User Info: Judgmenl

Judgmenl
3 months ago#12
32x2z posted...
AMD has honestly been out of the GPU game since the 200 series. 7970 was the last beast card they debuted imo. HBM is great but not enough vram.

16GB HBM2 not good enough for you?
Judge, Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
You're a regular Jack Kerouac

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 months ago#13
I don't think they are out of the market, just that they don't know what to do. They are stuck in r&d and have nothing to release, so they just put more cores and memory on existing designs each generation. Sacrificing profit margins each time. You can bet amd cards cost 2 to 3 times as much to make at this point.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: bikeblaster

bikeblaster
3 months ago#14
Looking past the mining fiasco, yeah they suck compared to Nvidia.

That's the truth.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
3 months ago#15
They do well with miners. At least their CPU's are pretty good.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

32x2z
3 months ago#16
Judgmenl posted...
32x2z posted...

16GB HBM2 not good enough for you?

Let me clarify my statement. When the 7970 and 7990 dropped, they legitimately threatened nvidia's hold on the gpu market. The GTX 680 had real competition and the 690 had an equivalent. Even when the 700 series dropped the 7970 still was on top save for nvidia's highest end 700 series cards. Even today the 7970 has performance equivalent to my current gpu which is a 1050ti. Flagship Vega does not do this to the 1080ti which is nvidias flagship which is my point.
OK so your saying it tried to use a blocked port, got blocked, and switched to an unblocked port while waiting for the user to respond? - Why I love Gfaqs.

User Info: Judgmenl

Judgmenl
3 months ago#17
Well if that's your point then you're right.
Judge, Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
You're a regular Jack Kerouac

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
3 months ago#18
What the hell are you guys even babbling about? A year ago you couldn’t sing the praises of the 480/580 loud enough. Now AMD is going under in the GPU department? Lol, what? Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t all the GPUs in the modern consoles AMD? Their cards are flying on the shelves. The 480 was selling out even before crypto-mining went crazy. I think AMD gonna be ok. Just my opinion.
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim

32x2z
3 months ago#19
Judgmenl posted...
Well if that's your point then you're right.

That's just how I remember AMD though. AMD used to be king and put nvidia to shame in games like tomb raider for example, now they compete for 2nd best every time. It sucks.

I've never praised AMD GPU's after the 300 series/fury series on this board and still haven't to this day. AMD is only in the console GPU's because Nvidia made a stupid move in my opinion and chose not to do business with them at the price they were requesting. AMD is losing 100 dollars on every vega card sold. That's not even remotely good no matter how you spin it.

User Info: GoddessPerry_08

GoddessPerry_08
3 months ago#20
ClunkerSlim posted...
What the hell are you guys even babbling about? A year ago you couldn’t sing the praises of the 480/580 loud enough. Now AMD is going under in the GPU department? Lol, what? Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t all the GPUs in the modern consoles AMD? Their cards are flying on the shelves. The 480 was selling out even before crypto-mining went crazy. I think AMD gonna be ok. Just my opinion.

Yeah they're being dumb.

AMD at every MSRP level they offer is at the least competitive with their Nvidia counterpart, and supports Freesync vs G-Sync which is cheaper. You could argue AMD in both the GPU and CPU market offers value over pure performance or power efficiency against their competitors. It's only due to the crypto boom that people are down on AMD cards, even though the 1070 is probably the king of cryptocards right now.
Goddess Perry has slain Demonburger!!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So is AMD out of the GPU market?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived