This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking for feedback on a TV

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Looking for feedback on a TV

User Info: Conker

Conker
3 months ago#1
Long-story short I had a Sony XBR930C that has a display defect at the end of warranty so Sony sent me a replacement. Got a 930D and the HDR does not work on it. At first they said they weren’t going to do anything but after escalating they are offering two options.

I can get a brand new 65X930E for $300 OR a refurbished 75X900E for even exchange.

After I thought I was getting the shaft I started looking at new 75” TVs so them offering the 900E was a surprise I figured I would take but getting the better quality picture and audio from the 930E and a brand new set is very appealing.

Problem is I’ve not seen either one of these sets to compare how much I’d care about the PQ, Dolby Vision, audio, and extra enhancements of the 930E.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff for the differences?

The few people I’ve talked to suggested going with the brand new 65” set. $300 doesn’t really matter so I’m leaning that way but damn I really want a 75” now...if they offered the 930E in 75” I’d pay whatever difference but that is unfortunately not an option.
If you don't want to argue about something, take the initiative and stfu.
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!

Conker
3 months ago#2
Btw, I know it’s a PC board but there doesn’t seem to be a good place to ask here. I’ve researched on AVS forums and such but people seem to be pretty torn and the price was the major factor in decisions. Obviously that doesn’t matter here since it’s not retail prices.

User Info: SkittyOnWailord

SkittyOnWailord
3 months ago#3
I'm using an XBR55X930E. I don't have much to compare it to in my apartment. Anything you want to know about it specifically?
I'm here! I'm furry! I'll try not to shed! =^_^=
i7 5820K|Rampage V Extreme|32GB DDR4 Ripjaws 4|2xSLI GTX 980ti Lightning LE|HAF 932|Sony 55inch 4K HDR|HTC Vive

User Info: blacklabelice

blacklabelice
3 months ago#4
SkittyOnWailord posted...
I'm using an XBR55X930E. I don't have much to compare it to in my apartment. Anything you want to know about it specifically?

i have the x930e as well. great set. works good for pc as well 4k 60hz or 1080p 120hz.

ive never had any models this good to compare it to either. i was buying cheap old junker hdtv's all my life so when i got my new set and got it dialed in i was rather blown away

apparently the x900e has a bit of upscaling issues if ur tryin to get a custom 1080p 120hz resolution or something. but its not an issue anywhere else i dont think. but the 900e and 930e models arent a whole world apart either. i guess it all comes down to whether or not youd rather have a bigger screen, or brighter hdr and a little more bells and whistles. i guess the input lag is a little worse on the x900e but youd probably never notice it, and its local dimming isnt quite as good either. but from everything ive seen from the x900e owners on avs its a pretty good set too

if it were me id go x930e. but what can i say? im biased. thats what im using and i love it.

and yeah the sound is good, but still nothing beats a good receiver and speaker setup. come to think about it thats the one part that got me, when i opened up the box and put it all together and hooked it up i had no sound from the speakers! tried from my desktop pc, cable box, my ps4, and my laptop it took me forever to figure it out but it turns out that by default if u have the headphone jack connected to your stereo, it wont play sound from the tv speakers until u go into sound and enable playback from both the tv and your stereo. i wasnt used to that at all.

also the weirdest thing, if u want 4k 60hz and 1080p 120hz with hdr from your pc u need to use either the 2nd or 3rd hdmi input, and enable full hdmi video range, as well as enable enhanced hdmi signal format. you also need to be using an hdmi high speed premium cable rated for 18 gbps. the old high speed cables rated for 10.2 gbps wont do 4k/60 and 1080p/120. some older may handle it, but others just wont give you signal and if it does it will flicker every second rendering the display pretty much unusable. u need the premium high speed for those resolutions and higher color settings

alot of people will struggle at first trying to get their resolutions and color formats to work properly until you actually go into settings and turn it on. for some strange reason sony left those options off by default and it puzzles me why.

those are my only quirks. it takes a bit of time to figure everything out and get it all set up properly.
I cant afford a good vacation, so i'm just going to drink until i dont know where i am.

Conker
3 months ago#5
Thx blacklabel, I do prefer brightness myself cuz my wife always likes the sunlight...whereas I close up the place like a vampire.

I am leaning 930E for that and the audio quality. I have the Sony wireless sub and the audio on the 930C was top-notch, and with toddlers I don’t really want to invest in a high-end audio system right now as something to get broken.

It’s probably hard to compare but the 930D was hollow and sucked for sound. It looks like they improved it on the 930E...any feedback on that for TV speakers?

SkittyOnWailord posted...

There are probably four things that have me going back and fourth:

1. Size and space. With my previous 930C it had great speakers so it took up a lot of space and was about 100lbs. Getting a 75” in the same space is nice and it’s light (77lbs with stand). How do the bezels and size seem for the 930E? It looks fairly slim profile but it has external parts/cables I believe. That could be a plus or negative depending.

2. Audio quality. I would setup a surround system but it’s not gonna happen right now. So if the 930E has decent sound I wouldn’t care to get a sound bar or anything additional from my Sony sub. The reviews look like the 900E has fairly mediocre audio.

3. Dolby Vision. Does it matter? Will this be a format wars type of thing I’ll be kicking myself for not having in the 900E and worth goin for the smaller screen size in the 930E?

4. Lastly, the picture quality obviously. The 900E from everything I’ve read has great picture and the things the 930E offers I probably wouldn’t miss coming from the older series. BUT I do like brightness and HDR which sounds like that’s an improvement in the 930E.

At the same time, some comparisons people said they couldn’t tell a different with most content.

I’ll mainly be streaming 4K content through Apple TV, Shield TV, and possibly the built-in apps. The important stuff we watch Netflix, movies with HDR, football and hockey and I have a PS4 Pro I do have a handful of 4K HDR enhanced games.

Input lag and such doesn’t really bother me, it’s not going to be drastically different regardless. So I guess the only thing that would really matter is the upscaling of the TV and built-in enhancing. Would that really matter on the 930E if the source is checkerboard or native 4K?

Or would a 10” bigger display be a significant difference in viewing experience vs a slightly better enhancement I wouldn’t notice unless I had them side-by-side?

blacklabelice
3 months ago#6
i never really have the tv speaker volume over 20 thats about as loud as i ever need it. it can go way higher i set a custom equalizer and a theme for it but havent really messed with it that much

i mean what can i say? theyre tv speakers. i dont know any tv that really puts out phenominal sound. most people just go with a soundbar or stereo. u can use bluetooth headsets with it too if you want

but yeah it does actually have a bit of bass to it and it sounds pretty clear. i cant really complain about the audio i can always hear everything just fine. its something ive completely overlooked i didnt exactly buy it for the sound. i bought it for the picture, and it makes a sweet pc display too.

apparently the dolby vision update just came out yesterday but they botched it. and apparently its only working with the built in netflix and amazon video apps for the moment. hdmi devices and usb still cant seem to get it to work. theres a bit of a backlash at sony right now at this very moment on it, because owners of the premium sony tv's have been waiting for this promised update for almost a whole year now, and sony finally pumped a firmware update out for it and its not what anybody really expected. quite disappointing actually. but it might have something to do with a bug on dolbys end that they are trying to fix for the new players, or just sony being incompetant and under delivering when they used dolby vision to market this set. i dont really know, i'd say sony kinda half assed it, but stay tuned and we'll see what kind of s*** show is going on and maybe they will clear things up.

the x900e wont be getting dolby vision reguardless. its only for the models with the x1 extreme processor. which includes the x930e.
I cant afford a good vacation, so i'm just going to drink until i dont know where i am.

blacklabelice
3 months ago#7
and the upscaling on the x930e is top notch the x1 extreme processor is the best out there from everything ive heard. and yeah it can get real f***ing bright especially with hdr but can get real nice and dark too and the blacks are great

if ur pc has a 970 or newer series maxwell card or any pascal card, u can hook it up to ur pc over hdmi 2.0 and get HDR to work with some games. im on windows 8.1 and i got Resident Evil 7 to work with it its pretty neat and at times can light up my whole damn room real nice. i wish i had more games on here that used it. something other than that game cause its gonna give me a f***ing heart attack one of these days

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
3 months ago#8
Feedback on TV?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD9rr0gTLSU

:P
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

Conker
3 months ago#9
@blacklabelice

Yeah, my 930C worked great for HDR with my PC. That’s all good.

It did have some really nice audio though, better than a lot of soundbars even. That’s one thing I’ll miss about my original set. I don’t care about volume but the virtual surround it could do at times felt like an object was flying at you from the screen. Pretty impressive. So if the 930E doesn’t stand out to you I’m guessing it’s probably the same as the 930D I’m exchanging for. That’s ok but makes me want to lean towards the 900E then in that regard.

The upscaling only really matters for lower res content though, right? If it’s 4K native it shouldn’t matter between the two?

If the Dolby Vision got botched, I’ll assume it’s never going to work perfectly, because the HDR on the 940D never worked properly and has had many complaints. Even my 930C I had to trick into working for specific sources. The built-in apps and certain devices never worked with HDR.

That’s disappointing but kinda makes me lean towards the 900E and just forget the DV. I didn’t have it on my other sets and the HDR from games is what I really care about...so I’m probably good without and then don’t have to hate Sony’s software team more.

Hmm...I keep going back and forth but the 75” just sounds appealing then!
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Looking for feedback on a TV

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived