This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Crypto mining is stupid and I hope miners all drop off the face of the planet

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Crypto mining is stupid and I hope miners all drop off the face of the planet

User Info: Conker

Conker
3 months ago#51
tearast posted...
I got a setup with 4 1060s. Easy $18 per day in profit. (net revenue - duh - inb4 some kid that doesn't understand basic economics like @Conker says "b-b-but what about da utilities hurrr").

@tearast

Does it make you feel special to call someone “kid?” My account is nearly 17years old.

What about anything I said indicates to you I’m the one not understanding economics?

The only reason I previously brought up utilities and the opportunity cost of selling the card is because Sandman said it was “free money.”

Why did you get worked up over that to feel the need to attempt petty insults?

Utilities for running mining setups to make $18 a day get expensive, that’s part of the reason the efficiency of cards is so important for mining. Not sure why you act like a dumbass towards that thinking because if it costs you $15 a day to run and you have thousands in equipment, your profit margin is almost nothing and could take years to make back.

That’s why people don’t open a business with a poor ROI. They actually want to make money, not have high revenue with little to no profit margin.

I can sell $10,000 a day in equipment that costs me $20,000! I’m tearast...don’t you dare question my business model kids!
If you don't want to argue about something, take the initiative and stfu.
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
3 months ago#52
lazycomplife posted...
I have a full time job but I don't think it's a reasonable use of my income to spend twice as much on the same product when the extra $500 or so could go toward paying off my car or making other improvements to my life.

im pretty sure Katarn thought you were the other guy who was saying he only knows ppl that make 10k/month
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: lazycomplife

lazycomplife
3 months ago#53
TimePharaoh posted...
Are you saying playing videogames, and also contributing to "global warming", is somehow more important?

f***ing nerd

Yeah I may be a nerd, because running a game on a standard gaming PC with 1 power supply and 1-2 GPU takes far less electricity than running a mining rig with 2+ power supplies and up to 19 video cards or so. Games provide enjoyment, while mining provides broken pipe dreams.

User Info: GeminiX7

GeminiX7
3 months ago#54
1337toothbrush posted...
GeminiX7 posted...
Wah wah wah, people are using parts I want to use to play my electronic toys to try and make money!

Entertainment is a far more useful contribution to society than a bunch of stupid f***s wasting electricity in the hopes of striking rich. Even if you think entertainment contributes nothing, that's better than the negative contribution of idiotic speculators. Speculators ruin everything.

Crypto-mining is an interesting idea that got co-opted by the same get-rich-quick morons that ruin just about every new enterprise/concept. Doesn't make the ad nauseum pissing and moaning any more justified/less annoying. Ironically, the way people have latched on to endlessly b****ing about something that really doesn't affect the vast majority of people making these topics is pretty similar to the people trying to latch onto crypto-mining itself.
MSI Z97| Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Cosair Vengence @ 1600 |Radeon R9 390 8GB
Who gave you permission to talk to me, mongrel?

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
3 months ago#55
I'm not a fan of it my self but there really isn't any thing you can do about it.

I have a family member who does it and he keeps trying to convince me to use my 980 TI to mine Zcash (what ever the hell that is) apparently its some thing that Nvidia GPU's do well at i guess.

If prices keep going up in the next few months i might just do it and just game on my secondary rig that has a I7 2600 and 1050 TI in the mean time.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: Sir_Haxor

Sir_Haxor
3 months ago#56
GeminiX7 posted...
Wah wah wah, people are using parts I want to use to play my electronic toys to try and make money!

Tell that to the game developers who depend on people buying those electronic toys in order to continue making money to support themselves.
Z97A | 4690k 4.6GHz | Hyper 212 Evo | EVGA GTX 1080ti | EVGA GS 650w | 16GB DDR3 | WDB 3TB |128GB SSD | Toshiba 500GB | Challenger S | Acer G257HU | LG 27UD68 |

User Info: GeminiX7

GeminiX7
3 months ago#57
Sir_Haxor posted...
GeminiX7 posted...

Tell that to the game developers who depend on people buying those electronic toys in order to continue making money to support themselves.

Game developers aren't relying on anywhere close to the majority of thier consumers buying the highest end graphics cards. People are complaining that the cream of the crop GPUs are getting impossible to find due to mining, which is definitely a valid complaint. But pretending that PC Gaming as a whole is in any trouble due to it is self-centered at best, Chicken Little bulls*** at worst.
MSI Z97| Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Cosair Vengence @ 1600 |Radeon R9 390 8GB
Who gave you permission to talk to me, mongrel?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Crypto mining is stupid and I hope miners all drop off the face of the planet

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived