This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Crypto mining is stupid and I hope miners all drop off the face of the planet

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Crypto mining is stupid and I hope miners all drop off the face of the planet

User Info: Conker

Conker
1 month ago#21
27_Sandman_40 posted...
Conker posted...
27_Sandman_40 posted...
Premium posted...
Only the gullible buy into the belief that actually mining these cryptos is how to profit from them.

I make $6 a day mining with my 1080. That's free money.

Not free in economical terms. The cost is the utilities you pay for and the offset cost you could get selling that card now.

That's my net profit.

How would you be able to calculate that since you don’t know how long you’d be mining for in the future to make up the difference in the card’s profit now?
If you don't want to argue about something, take the initiative and stfu.
Lets Go: Lions, Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons!

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
1 month ago#22
Conker posted...
27_Sandman_40 posted...
Conker posted...
27_Sandman_40 posted...
Premium posted...
Only the gullible buy into the belief that actually mining these cryptos is how to profit from them.

I make $6 a day mining with my 1080. That's free money.

Not free in economical terms. The cost is the utilities you pay for and the offset cost you could get selling that card now.

That's my net profit.

How would you be able to calculate that since you don’t know how long you’d be mining for in the future to make up the difference in the card’s profit now?

i think he basically just ignored your point and was saying that's the difference in what he mines and sells vs the increase in his power bill
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: Biceptual

Biceptual
1 month ago#23
Someone buy a bunch of cases of poker chips and spray paint them gold and silver

Get a stamp made that says "Bitcoin, TM"

Stamp them all

Sell them to 90 year olds watching infomericals on daytime TV. $25 for a 10 stack of gold. $10 for a stack of silver.

boom.
Steam: Biceptual | Bnet: Biceptual#1627 | FC: 3179-6963-0491
Origin: Biceptual0 | Twitch: Biceptual0

User Info: Premium

Premium
1 month ago#24
$6? Lol

I made about €600 buying and selling altcoins a few months back, which paid for my flight to a friend's wedding abroad with change. Probably would have been more if the transaction fees didn't eat up a big chunk of my profits.

That took up, what, a few hours at most of my time total? Minus the waiting.
How do you ejaculate from plane? I try to press the buttons but I do not find it. Sorry for my bad english - Bean0

User Info: Terribletruth69

Terribletruth69
1 month ago#25
SaiDucc posted...
I don't see the big issue, why aren't people complaining about sound systems?! I've just purchased a decent system which costs more than a 1080Ti and that doesn't include an amp...

You missed the point. You bought a 1,000$ sound system for $1,000. You paid msrp.

The GPUs are a $300-$400 card selling for $900-$1000.

Like I said earlier, it's not the amount, it's the fact that it's more than double it's listed price.

User Info: HOTHorneHeights

HOTHorneHeights
1 month ago#26
You don't need 4k.

User Info: LazyyAmerican

LazyyAmerican
1 month ago#27
But 4k shouldn't be held hostage because of a f***ing pipe dream for most.
You've got ten minutes. There's policies even your section have to follow
I'll be sure to forward your message to the president.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#28
lazycomplife posted...
reiko sawamura posted...
But couldn't the argument be made that if you became a miner yourself, that you could then afford a new card?

I have a full time job, and theoretically I COULD afford a new card, but I'm not willing to pay $1000 for something that should cost $500. I imagine most people won't, assuming they care about value for their investment.

Talking about the 1080s (non Ti)? Cause I think the Ti ones were like $650.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: lazycomplife

lazycomplife
1 month ago#29
captsplatter_1 posted...
lazycomplife posted...
reiko sawamura posted...
But couldn't the argument be made that if you became a miner yourself, that you could then afford a new card?

I have a full time job, and theoretically I COULD afford a new card, but I'm not willing to pay $1000 for something that should cost $500. I imagine most people won't, assuming they care about value for their investment.

Yeah they were $699 MSRP when they came out last March, and instead of dropping in price like they usually do over the course of a year (I estimated a drop from $699 to $500, which is probably too generous, even $600 would be reasonable after a year), they are over $1000.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#30
lazycomplife posted...
captsplatter_1 posted...
lazycomplife posted...
reiko sawamura posted...

Yeah they were $699 MSRP when they came out last March, and instead of dropping in price like they usually do over the course of a year (I estimated a drop from $699 to $500, which is probably too generous, even $600 would be reasonable after a year), they are over $1000.

They don't drop in price, they only go up.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Crypto mining is stupid and I hope miners all drop off the face of the planet

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived