This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

windows firewall is junk

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. windows firewall is junk

User Info: Renraku_San

Renraku_San
4 weeks ago#21
ITT: "I don't know how to use a firewall in Windows therefore it is s***".

Unf***ingbelievable.
I worship Jesus Christ and am 100% proud to be Christian!
I read the Bible every day, you should too!

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
4 weeks ago#22
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Jesus christ you're dense. The fact some traffic is allowed does not mean all traffic is. It's asking you about the traffic that's being blocked. You claim to be a software engineer for f***s sake, how do you not know this? It's sub basic. Yeah your program may be working but that doesn't mean that incoming traffic for that program isn't blocked on other ports it uses.

OK so your saying it tried to use a blocked port, got blocked, and switched to an unblocked port while waiting for the user to respond?

This conversation is 10/10 roflmao. This is hilarious. Windows firewall is junk, it's nice that it's included, but it's junk. It was junk in XP and it's junk windows 10.
AMD 8300 4.2ghz-8gb DDR3 1600-1050Ti 4GB-128gb SSD-2.5TB storage-40" 1080P 120hz.

User Info: Renraku_San

Renraku_San
4 weeks ago#23
32x2z posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...
Jesus christ you're dense. The fact some traffic is allowed does not mean all traffic is. It's asking you about the traffic that's being blocked. You claim to be a software engineer for f***s sake, how do you not know this? It's sub basic. Yeah your program may be working but that doesn't mean that incoming traffic for that program isn't blocked on other ports it uses.

OK so your saying it tried to use a blocked port, got blocked, and switched to an unblocked port while waiting for the user to respond?

This conversation is 10/10 roflmao. This is hilarious. Windows firewall is junk, it's nice that it's included, but it's junk. It was junk in XP and it's junk windows 10.

The firewall in XP greatly differs from the one in Windows 10.

Of course, coming from someone still gaming at 1080p, I wouldn't expect you to realize this.
I worship Jesus Christ and am 100% proud to be Christian!
I read the Bible every day, you should too!

User Info: gideond

gideond
4 weeks ago#24
32x2z posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...

Yeah it's really not. A firewall is not a complicated piece of software. Everyone saying it's junk probably doesn't realize the vast majority of aftermarket firewall programs are just UIs for the Windows Firewall. The thing WF is not good at is interfacing with the user. Like everything else Windows related, Microsoft assumes (often rightly so) that the user is an idiot and should not be relied on to make decisions about that is allowed in and out of the PC. Thus no interactive user interface. Install something like Windows Firewall Control and you've added the interactive component to it. Problem solved. Make your rules on the fly as needed.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

User Info: Ciera

Ciera
4 weeks ago#25
windows is junk

FTFY
I'll... shave that cat.

32x2z
4 weeks ago#26
gideond posted...
32x2z posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...

Yeah it's really not. A firewall is not a complicated piece of software. Everyone saying it's junk probably doesn't realize the vast majority of aftermarket firewall programs are just UIs for the Windows Firewall. The thing WF is not good at is interfacing with the user. Like everything else Windows related, Microsoft assumes (often rightly so) that the user is an idiot and should not be relied on to make decisions about that is allowed in and out of the PC. Thus no interactive user interface. Install something like Windows Firewall Control and you've added the interactive component to it. Problem solved. Make your rules on the fly as needed.

When you go from using a paid for firewall like bitdefender, to windows firewall, you notice a difference in quality. The firewalls I've used in the past asked me to turn off windows firewall because it would interfere. Windows firewall is good for free, but is junk compared to hardware firewalls or even bitdefender. A good router solves all of these issues, but the fact a hardware firewall from a router is needed in the first place, shows how piss poor windows firewall really is.
OK so your saying it tried to use a blocked port, got blocked, and switched to an unblocked port while waiting for the user to respond? - Why I love Gfaqs.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 weeks ago#27
32x2z posted...
gideond posted...
32x2z posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...

When you go from using a paid for firewall like bitdefender, to windows firewall, you notice a difference in quality. The firewalls I've used in the past asked me to turn off windows firewall because it would interfere. Windows firewall is good for free, but is junk compared to hardware firewalls or even bitdefender. A good router solves all of these issues, but the fact a hardware firewall from a router is needed in the first place, shows how piss poor windows firewall really is.

You seem to be mistaking the firewall for the firewall's configuration. There's nothing inherently wrong with Windows firewall aside from the ease of configuration.
Even I'm not crazy enough to believe that distortion of reality

32x2z
4 weeks ago#28
Orestes417 posted...
32x2z posted...
gideond posted...
32x2z posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...

You seem to be mistaking the firewall for the firewall's configuration. There's nothing inherently wrong with Windows firewall aside from the ease of configuration.

It is clear I am mistaking the firewall for the configuration which I appreciate you pointing that out. If the firewall is fine, but the configuration is not, does the firewall work well? (don't answer that yet) If I have a computer, and it works just fine but it takes 50 presses on the button to turn on, does it work well? If I have a car that will start, but it takes 30 seconds of turning over to turn on, does it work well? I certainly wouldn't want my car to stall in traffic. I think it's up to user interpretation at this point to be honest. Just because something is not wrong with the product itself, does not mean accessibility when controlling the product will not detract from the products ability to perform. What I mean when I say that, is if someone does not understand how to operate something, how well does that something actually perform? Windows firewall is not complicated to setup especially for those of us who dealt with it in XP, however it would be a bold statement to say ease of access does not determine product operations. A product that suffers from a lack of ease of operations is paperweight or close to it for anyone who is not versed in it.
OK so your saying it tried to use a blocked port, got blocked, and switched to an unblocked port while waiting for the user to respond? - Why I love Gfaqs.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 weeks ago#29
Ease of use is a feature yes and a valid reason for preferring other firewalls. Lack of desire to read the manual however is not a valid reason to consider a product crap.
Even I'm not crazy enough to believe that distortion of reality

User Info: MasteroftheArts

MasteroftheArts
4 weeks ago#30
Windows Firewall works fine.
"I refuse to prove that I exist" says God. "For proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing..."
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. windows firewall is junk

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived