This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

windows firewall is junk

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. windows firewall is junk

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
3 months ago#11
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Although yes, the firewall is literal garbage. How many times have you closed a game to see the "Continue blocking this application" message? Like wait, you were blocking? I just played 5 hours of multiplayer.

That's because by default it only blocks INCOMING packets.

Right so others can see you but you can't see them

What the hell are you on about? You can send any traffic out and receive traffic that's allowed in the default setup.

Right so by default it does nothing at all. What is it continuing to block then?

Learn to read maybe? It blocks inbound ports that don't already have exceptions. Some of those exceptions are created by default.
Even I'm not crazy enough to believe that distortion of reality

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 months ago#12
Orestes417 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Although yes, the firewall is literal garbage. How many times have you closed a game to see the "Continue blocking this application" message? Like wait, you were blocking? I just played 5 hours of multiplayer.

What the hell are you on about? You can send any traffic out and receive traffic that's allowed in the default setup.

Right so by default it does nothing at all. What is it continuing to block then?

Learn to read maybe? It blocks inbound ports that don't already have exceptions. Some of those exceptions are created by default.

So it asks you to unlock ports that are already unblocked?
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

Orestes417
3 months ago#13
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

So it asks you to unlock ports that are already unblocked?

So the communications that are getting through are probably going on those unblocked ports or a rule that allows solicited traffic replies. But hey, it's easier to assume s*** than actually open your specific configuration and read the defined rules right?

SinisterSlay
3 months ago#14
Orestes417 posted...

So the communications that are getting through are probably going on those unblocked ports or a rule that allows solicited traffic replies. But hey, it's easier to assume s*** than actually open your specific configuration and read the defined rules right?

If the rules are already set to allow communication. Then why ask the user to "unblock" or "continue blocking" it? The message is pointless, it wasn't blocking anything, and you can choose to keep blocking and it still won't block anything.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

Orestes417
3 months ago#15
Jesus christ you're dense. The fact some traffic is allowed does not mean all traffic is. It's asking you about the traffic that's being blocked. You claim to be a software engineer for f***s sake, how do you not know this? It's sub basic. Yeah your program may be working but that doesn't mean that incoming traffic for that program isn't blocked on other ports it uses.

User Info: gideond

gideond
3 months ago#16
The great majority of programs that need network access in Windows will add exceptions to the Windows Firewall during installation. Some tell you about it and some just do it without your input. The programs don't work otherwise so they assume if you want to use the program then you want the firewall rules.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

SinisterSlay
3 months ago#17
Orestes417 posted...
Jesus christ you're dense. The fact some traffic is allowed does not mean all traffic is. It's asking you about the traffic that's being blocked. You claim to be a software engineer for f***s sake, how do you not know this? It's sub basic. Yeah your program may be working but that doesn't mean that incoming traffic for that program isn't blocked on other ports it uses.

OK so your saying it tried to use a blocked port, got blocked, and switched to an unblocked port while waiting for the user to respond?
This feels unlikely. I get this prompt on Windows 95 games that can't even work without a dmz set, yet Windows firewall does nothing to them. Is it because they use the standard direct x 4 udp and tcp ports?

I tried it a long time ago by making my own chat program with hard coded ports. It worked fine even with the firewall supposedly blocking it. But that was xp.

Orestes417
3 months ago#18
Outbound traffic isn't blocked by default, inbound traffic that's replying to that outbound traffic won't be blocked as it's solicited. The traffic that is blocked is unsolicited inbound traffic which may or may not be critical to the program running. Unless of course the inbound traffic is using one of the ports explicitly allowed.

User Info: WalkingPlague

WalkingPlague
3 months ago#19
tfw people don't know how a firewall works.
#PCMR

User Info: xKynOx

xKynOx
3 months ago#20
it only ever has stopped things getting in not out
I'm cheap
I5-4460 16GB DDR 3 ASUS GTX1060 6GB
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. windows firewall is junk

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived