This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

windows firewall is junk

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. windows firewall is junk

User Info: Mushroom87

Mushroom87
4 months ago#1
i was bored so i started just messing around with things in my settings and i noticed that windows firewall doesnt do a damn thing, i tell it to block all connections, click ok. but im still allowed to surf the net, uttorent still connects.

it litterally does nothing.

so, i guess im on the market for a new firewall(windows 7) ive tried commodo and after installation i couldnt even connect to the internet, i tried avs and by default it blocks everything and i dont want to sit their and go through all of my programs and allow them one by one, and ive tried tiny wall, it had the same problem as windows firewall.

User Info: k debonair

k debonair
4 months ago#2
just get a router. a hardware firewall is better than any software solution.
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 months ago#3
Most likely user error.
Even I'm not crazy enough to believe that distortion of reality

User Info: fatali

fatali
4 months ago#4
Orestes417 posted...
Most likely user error.

This
Mystery is the source of all true science.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
4 months ago#5
Mushroom87 posted...
i tell it to block all connections, click ok. but im still allowed to surf the net, uttorent still connects.

Yeah, I'd expect that from a firewall, though. Unless you go to some uber lockdown mode, the applications that you already trust should still work. Nothing strange there. Do you REALLY expect to need to manually enable port 80 in your firewall every time you install it?

Mushroom87 posted...
ive tried commodo and after installation i couldnt even connect to the internet

Otherwise you get this.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
4 months ago#6
Although yes, the firewall is literal garbage. How many times have you closed a game to see the "Continue blocking this application" message? Like wait, you were blocking? I just played 5 hours of multiplayer.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

Orestes417
4 months ago#7
SinisterSlay posted...
Although yes, the firewall is literal garbage. How many times have you closed a game to see the "Continue blocking this application" message? Like wait, you were blocking? I just played 5 hours of multiplayer.

That's because by default it only blocks INCOMING packets.

SinisterSlay
4 months ago#8
Orestes417 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

Right so others can see you but you can't see them
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

Orestes417
4 months ago#9
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

What the hell are you on about? You can send any traffic out and receive traffic that's allowed in the default setup.

SinisterSlay
4 months ago#10
Orestes417 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

What the hell are you on about? You can send any traffic out and receive traffic that's allowed in the default setup.

Right so by default it does nothing at all. What is it continuing to block then?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. windows firewall is junk

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived