This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Cryptocurrency Mining Killing PC Gaming? No, But...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Cryptocurrency Mining Killing PC Gaming? No, But...

User Info: DarkKnight_sf

DarkKnight_sf
1 month ago#1
Mining crypto currency is not killing PC gaming, but certainly it is hurting PC gaming - and therefore as one of the greatest gamers here it is also hurting me.

Now personally I don't mind cryptocurrency. I studied the theory behind it in my education, it is subject within mathematics called cryptography and also I like the idea of decentralized currency, I believe it is fair for the poorest people in the world. And if cryptocurrency is to continue working, we need the network to remain fully powered by these GPUs to process transactions. I don't mine but I invested in a few currencies and I have happy about it.

The GPU market will stabilize eventually, as the mining difficulty increases the returns will be smaller for small time miners also GPU manufacturers will look at sales and adjust their production to meet the demand, but this will be over a longer time.

So is this killing PC Gaming? No, but it is hurting it. Consider where PC gaming was before mining got popular. Most multi platform titles were buggy or broken, some never get fixed. Let us not beat around the bush, no one wants to play world of war craft with PS1 level graphics. We want latest GPUs to play games with better graphics, and the multi platform titles generally always have the best graphics. Because the numbers are temporarily getting smaller, developers for the mean time will concentrate even less on PC version of games and this was already bad, and it will get even worse.

It is not the fault of the miners, it is supply and demand in this free capitalist economy, there are no bad guys - it's business. Consider PCs can be used for gaming, but also used in offices for work but the difference is there is enough supply to satisfy demand for office PCs so price remains competitive.

Also consider PC Gaming is becoming stupidly expensive not just GPUs. I have 4790 i7 and 16gb ddr3 currently. My next build I want to have 64gb ddr4, but the RAM itself costs twice as much as the latest i7. Even 16gb of DDR4 is expensive, and so are CPUs and hardrives - the whole thing is expensive.

And this isn't limited to GPUs, but also consoles like PS3 and PS4 at launch were selling on ebay for upto 5 times their rrp. Consider me, I would like to buy a Rolex this year, however the model which I want has a 3-12 month waiting list, so used models of the watch i want are selling for thousands above the rrp.

So no, this is not unique to PC Gamers and it is not killing PC Gaming, however it is making it worse for the entry level people. I will need to upgrade soon as I have a Youtube channel and run 4 monitors, I'm not happy with the prices but I don't really have a choice I need a powerful PC to game and video editing.
Dark Knight

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
1 month ago#2
DarkKnight_sf posted...
The GPU market will stabilize eventually,

Yes, but stabilize doesn't necessarily mean prices will go back down. It could mean the current higher prices are the new norm. At least for the foreseeable future.
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim

User Info: thelocalhentai

thelocalhentai
1 month ago#3
From what I can tell, it seems to be affecting home built computers much more than prebuilts. While cryptocurrency is a factor to blame, I personally think that RAM prices are much more of a problem since people are more likely to upgrade those during the midlife of a build for both home grown and prebuilts.

I may be too optimistic but hopefully, the GPU developers will make GPUs specifically for cryptomining (that are closer to prices to GPUs) and regular GPUs.

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
1 month ago#4
Hi don
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

DarkKnight_sf
1 month ago#5
thelocalhentai posted...
From what I can tell, it seems to be affecting home built computers much more than prebuilts. While cryptocurrency is a factor to blame, I personally think that RAM prices are much more of a problem since people are more likely to upgrade those during the midlife of a build for both home grown and prebuilts.

I may be too optimistic but hopefully, the GPU developers will make GPUs specifically for cryptomining (that are closer to prices to GPUs) and regular GPUs.

They've made them, and it makes no difference because GPUs that we have in our computer are very good at mining, regardless what they are used for.
Dark Knight

DarkKnight_sf
1 month ago#6
ClunkerSlim posted...
DarkKnight_sf posted...
The GPU market will stabilize eventually,

Yes, but stabilize doesn't necessarily mean prices will go back down. It could mean the current higher prices are the new norm. At least for the foreseeable future.

It has to go down if supply increases. Generally speaking mass produced semi conductor devices get very cheap as you scale up production. PS4 for example.

If you are in Intel or Nvidias shoes right now you have a problem. You can increase supply but then risk if the market for crypto mining goes down. So right now AMD and Nvidia are winning because they are doing very well. But the market will sort it out self out, but this will take time.

I have to upgrade to a new GPU for my new build. I have 4 monitors (but game on one), I don't want to pay double the price but I guess I have to. A 13 year old PC gamer however will not be able to afford the top specs which is a real shame at the moment.
Dark Knight

DarkKnight_sf
1 month ago#7
Fade2black001 posted...
Hi don

?
Dark Knight

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
1 month ago#8
How is it going Donny?
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
1 month ago#9
Fade2black001 posted...
Hi don

I was about to say this. It's like no one remembers.
AMD 8300 4.2ghz-8gb DDR3 1600-1050Ti 4GB-128gb SSD-2.5TB storage-40" 1080P 120hz.

DarkKnight_sf
1 month ago#10
Fade2black001 posted...
How is it going Donny?

I am The Dark Knight.
Dark Knight
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is Cryptocurrency Mining Killing PC Gaming? No, But...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived