This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So yea...cryptocurrency....

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So yea...cryptocurrency....

User Info: Ryzeki

Ryzeki
6 months ago#21
KillerTruffle posted...
Mining cards are typically pressed pretty hard, and for much longer periods with more consistency. Rather than variable stress over a few hours at a time, they're pretty much running full bore (or close to it) continuously. That's super hard on the card. Yours may not have been working that hard, but I don't know why - if it wasn't, you weren't really doing much... maybe you didn't have it configured well to handle mining, or who knows? But a properly configured card is going to pour all its processing power into mining, and that puts serious stress on it. I agree that I would never buy a used GPU, because there is absolutely no guarantee how much abuse it's been through, or whether it's been used for mining or not.

I think you believe that taxing a GPU or CPU to 100% is equal in all stress scenarios. My GPU was taxed to 100% during a continous full month, non stop. Same for my CPU. But taxing a CPU or GPU to 100% does not mean it is literally using its most taxing, super overheating type of load.

This is similar to how a load like Prime95 on the CPU is considerably more torturous than running a game at 200fps with a 100% CPU load. There are different resources to both a CPU and GPU that when used, they quickly get to 100% usage but not necessarily use the most current taxing loads.

My GPU when playing games unlocked fps, 4k res and demanding stuff including "gameworks" and stuff like that, really strain the GPU to over 80 celsius. But when mining, at 100% load most likely only doing calculations and not using several parts of the GPU, only got up to 62 celsius max temp, overclocked, for a full month.

As I said, my computer gets hotter running PUBG than mining. And if a laptop can handle this load, the desktop components can do better.

And I wasn't running in an underperforming manner. I had the hashrate expected from my GPU/CPU combo, in Ethereum and Monero.
MSI GT73VR - Core i7 6th gen @4.1Ghz | | 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4 || 128GB PCIe SSD + 1TB SATA SSD || GTX1080 || 1080P@120hz

User Info: rpgian

rpgian
6 months ago#22
The time to buy would've been back when it was $20 and no one was talking about it. You prob. have to had a bad cocaine/percocet problem or something to have a stash of it for silk road use. Even then you had stuff like mt gox to contend with if you kept your $ in any exchange.

Now that it's blown up and popular, I think you are a nut to buy at 10k+

User Info: KnucklesIX

KnucklesIX
6 months ago#23
rpgian posted...
The time to buy would've been back when it was $20 and no one was talking about it. You prob. have to had a bad cocaine/percocet problem or something to have a stash of it for silk road use. Even then you had stuff like mt gox to contend with if you kept your $ in any exchange.

Now that it's blown up and popular, I think you are a nut to buy at 10k+

Better to buy altcoins instead of bitcoin
Ginyu Gang

User Info: SilentHawk29

SilentHawk29
6 months ago#24
Yeah, ethereum and litecoin are the better buys for the big ones. Then there's Tron, Ripple, Iota, Stellaris, and so on.
Steam - SilentHawk29 || Z170-A, G1 GTX 1080, i5 6600K, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4
My car (on fire): http://i.imgur.com/ZoeZJ1b.jpg

User Info: aleksazen

aleksazen
6 months ago#25
buy VEN and XRB and thank me later.
Intel Core i5-6600K | Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4-2400 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Western Digital 1TB | MSI GeForce GTX | EVGA 750W Semi-Modular

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
6 months ago#26
LazyyAmerican posted...
It's quite obvious why we are hating on it...it makes building very much so cost prohibitive. Yea, yea entitled you have water and food therefore you are fine ect.

It makes PC gaming expensive in both the short term and long term. It used to be console had the advantage of more user friendly only, now its also cheaper. Even with the more expensive games and pay to play online.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: KnucklesIX

KnucklesIX
6 months ago#27
aleksazen posted...
buy VEN and XRB and thank me later.

Heard lots about those 2,was gonna pick them up.

So far I’m looking to invest in these

XRP
LTC
VEN
XRB

4 soild picks IMO
Ginyu Gang

User Info: Mozzezz

Mozzezz
6 months ago#28
I hate this whole digital currency trend.

Buying the coin itself is already basically a combination of a pyramid and ponzi scheme and it's having the side affect of driving up graphic card prices significantly.

It's one thing if the schemers and the people dumb enough to buy it kind of stuck to their own corners, but now if I buy a new graphic card it's going to cost me what seems to be at least like $200-$300 more then it should. This needs to end sooner rather then later and crash as soon as possible.
SSBB Friend Code: 3823-8247-5632 N3DS Friend Code: 0189-8871-1995

User Info: R_Jackal

R_Jackal
6 months ago#29
Bitcoin never made an average joe rich, unless you bought in when it was dirt cheap around its founding and sold recently. Which will likely be the theme for cryptocurrency in the future. Create currency, gain popularity, see price rise, price crash, "INVEST IN THIS ALL NEW ONE THAT ONE IS FOR SCRUBS LOL"

User Info: Monopoman

Monopoman
6 months ago#30
R_Jackal posted...
Bitcoin never made an average joe rich, unless you bought in when it was dirt cheap around its founding and sold recently. Which will likely be the theme for cryptocurrency in the future. Create currency, gain popularity, see price rise, price crash, "INVEST IN THIS ALL NEW ONE THAT ONE IS FOR SCRUBS LOL"

Well I saw a news ad about a kid that put a 1000 dollar gift from his grandma into bitcoin like 7 years ago or something like that and is now like 20 years old and a multi-millionaire. So yeah, those that got into bitcoin back into like 2010 and either mined it and kept it or bought a bunch when they were under 10 bucks made out like bandits.

if you bought in around 10 bucks a coin that is 1000 times increase on an investment in roughly 7 years those types of returns are insane.
BF ID: Birck #1559845599
Leads: Erza, Natsu, Lofia
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So yea...cryptocurrency....

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived