This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So yea...cryptocurrency....

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So yea...cryptocurrency....

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
4 months ago#11
Yeah, I don't know what's with people always jumping on the bandwagon to make a quick buck. Most of humanity's stupidity comes from this "need".
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: blacklabelice

blacklabelice
4 months ago#12
Ryzeki posted...
No, but the average joe wants to drive a benz in one month and be financially free, so they go around and buy 3-6 GPUs, set up their rigs and will slowly realize it will take considerably more power to earn a lot of money and that their coin of choice is probably gonna tank by the time they have enough.

Once this all crash, they will be selling it used so prices should drop considerably.

ill never buy a used card. just cause someone says it wasnt used for mining doesnt mean that it wasnt.
I cant afford a good vacation, so i'm just going to drink until i dont know where i am.

User Info: sylverlolol

sylverlolol
4 months ago#13
rildomein posted...
Yea, I have yet to hear about the Bitcoin "success stories".

MagicDonut, former poster on CE, made something like 30 million off it so far.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

User Info: Number11_1

Number11_1
4 months ago#14
rildomein posted...
Yea, I have yet to hear about the Bitcoin "success stories".

I can't tell if this topic is talking about mining or trading. Mining does sound kind of silly but trading is a whole different story. Plenty of success stories and i don't know why people in this thread are hating on it.

User Info: Ryzeki

Ryzeki
4 months ago#15
blacklabelice posted...
Ryzeki posted...
No, but the average joe wants to drive a benz in one month and be financially free, so they go around and buy 3-6 GPUs, set up their rigs and will slowly realize it will take considerably more power to earn a lot of money and that their coin of choice is probably gonna tank by the time they have enough.

Once this all crash, they will be selling it used so prices should drop considerably.

ill never buy a used card. just cause someone says it wasnt used for mining doesnt mean that it wasnt.

Ok? Like it matters. All the mining I've done on GPUs have shown it is less taxing than demanding games anyways. Hell, even when mining with my laptop, I barely broke a sweat with super good temps, over weeks of use.

I would prefer an ex-mining GPU than a heavily used one for gaming GPU. Consistent medium strain is less taxing on the life of a component than cyclical high strain-low strain use.

Hell in order to maximize profit, users tend to lower performance and voltage to have more performance per watt, so depending on who you buy from, probably has a GPU in excellent shape.
MSI GT73VR - Core i7 6th gen @4.1Ghz | | 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4 || 128GB PCIe SSD + 1TB SATA SSD || GTX1080 || 1080P@120hz

User Info: blacklabelice

blacklabelice
4 months ago#16
Ryzeki posted...
blacklabelice posted...
Ryzeki posted...

Ok? Like it matters. All the mining I've done on GPUs have shown it is less taxing than demanding games anyways. Hell, even when mining with my laptop, I barely broke a sweat with super good temps, over weeks of use.

I would prefer an ex-mining GPU than a heavily used one for gaming GPU. Consistent medium strain is less taxing on the life of a component than cyclical high strain-low strain use.

Hell in order to maximize profit, users tend to lower performance and voltage to have more performance per watt, so depending on who you buy from, probably has a GPU in excellent shape.

i like watching videos of youtube when they show all the mining farms inside warehouses and factories. huge f***ing racks of mining rigs. huge fans everywhere. paying over $300k a month for electricity where hes located in china and electricity isnt expensive there to begin with. hired a lot of people for maintenence and security.

those are the people who actually make money from this whole mining craze. and those who bought lots of it before it caught on. not the average joe with just a gaming rig who would makes just enough from it every month to not have to take in his empty beer cans, and hope that the value doesnt crash before he goes to cash out.

but people are getting into it because of the mass appeal and the way the value shot up. they think they can be a part of that too, and mine a little bit of it and hold onto it for a while and make a profit, but for that to happen the value would have to keep rising. sooner or later though its going to hit a wall.

but yeah the people with server farms theyve got a whole god damn room with just nothing but dead cards and parts though. kinda brings a tear to my heart when i see all these gaming cards that have became a casualty to the mining fad
I cant afford a good vacation, so i'm just going to drink until i dont know where i am.

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 months ago#17
Mining cards are typically pressed pretty hard, and for much longer periods with more consistency. Rather than variable stress over a few hours at a time, they're pretty much running full bore (or close to it) continuously. That's super hard on the card. Yours may not have been working that hard, but I don't know why - if it wasn't, you weren't really doing much... maybe you didn't have it configured well to handle mining, or who knows? But a properly configured card is going to pour all its processing power into mining, and that puts serious stress on it. I agree that I would never buy a used GPU, because there is absolutely no guarantee how much abuse it's been through, or whether it's been used for mining or not.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: LazyyAmerican

LazyyAmerican
4 months ago#18
It's quite obvious why we are hating on it...it makes building very much so cost prohibitive. Yea, yea entitled you have water and food therefore you are fine ect.
You've got ten minutes. There's policies even your section have to follow
I'll be sure to forward your message to the president.

User Info: Ryzeki

Ryzeki
4 months ago#19
blacklabelice posted...
Ryzeki posted...
blacklabelice posted...
Ryzeki posted...

i like watching videos of youtube when they show all the mining farms inside warehouses and factories. huge f***ing racks of mining rigs. huge fans everywhere. paying over $300k a month for electricity where hes located in china and electricity isnt expensive there to begin with. hired a lot of people for maintenence and security.

those are the people who actually make money from this whole mining craze. and those who bought lots of it before it caught on. not the average joe with just a gaming rig who would makes just enough from it every month to not have to take in his empty beer cans, and hope that the value doesnt crash before he goes to cash out.

but people are getting into it because of the mass appeal and the way the value shot up. they think they can be a part of that too, and mine a little bit of it and hold onto it for a while and make a profit, but for that to happen the value would have to keep rising. sooner or later though its going to hit a wall.

but yeah the people with server farms theyve got a whole god damn room with just nothing but dead cards and parts though. kinda brings a tear to my heart when i see all these gaming cards that have became a casualty to the mining fad

Yeah, I actually know some people, including friends, that fell prey to the craze of crypto currency. It's sad because some even bought GPUs at current crazy prices and are trying to mine somehow as best as they can.

I mined months ago, not anymore, because the craze also came with a substantial increase in network difficulty. My hashrate was no longer relevant in the grand scheme of things. I may get around 20dlrs a month if lucky, after considering utility costs. And this involves using my machine almost exclusively for mining, which means not playing etc.

So all in all, if you don't have a cool farm with enough GPUs, you won't do much at all. People that started early and mined the "winner" cryptos, actually made a lot of money. Some will have their wallets with 10k byte coins, dogges, random cryptos with 0.0001 usd value and hope for the best, which may not ever come.

I gave up on it because I don't have money to waste investing on a sizable rig, and with current prices even less. Plus this craze is bound to have extreme volatility and losses. I just hope my friends don't end up loosing too much over it.
MSI GT73VR - Core i7 6th gen @4.1Ghz | | 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4 || 128GB PCIe SSD + 1TB SATA SSD || GTX1080 || 1080P@120hz

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 months ago#20
LazyyAmerican posted...
It's quite obvious why we are hating on it...it makes building very much so cost prohibitive. Yea, yea entitled you have water and food therefore you are fine ect.

Dunno that anyone claimed otherwise - and there's nothing wrong with hating on it. It's taking cards made for our games, and using them for something else, boosting demand, which in turn makes our gaming cards more expensive for something that has nothing to do with gaming. Why should we be OK with that?

That doesn't mean miners "should" stop using our cards (it'd just be nice if they did), or anything like that... free market is free market, and it's basic supply and demand. That still doesn't mean we should just be OK with the fact the cost of our cards has skyrocketed because of it.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So yea...cryptocurrency....

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived