This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The dumbest complaints you've heard for disliking a game

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. The dumbest complaints you've heard for disliking a game

User Info: RainShower

RainShower
4 weeks ago#81
to many minorities or to many women.the typical complaints from basement dwellers.
1+1=89

User Info: Ciera

Ciera
4 weeks ago#82
It's a console exclusive.
I'll... shave that cat.

User Info: ChaoticKnuckles

ChaoticKnuckles
4 weeks ago#83
Orestes417 posted...
Dragon Nexus posted...
Orestes417 posted...
And it wouldn't be the game the designers wanted to make.

But...that game still exists. It just also has an easy mode.
Don't go waving "But mah artistis vishun!" around as an excuse for exclusionary thinking.

I'd rather play the game for the lore and the story, seeing what the world has in store and all the different environments there are. I imagine most developers would be happier knowing someone managed to see all the stuff they put hard work into than to know 50% of them never could because of a skill barrier.

Again, no-one is saying "Let's make Dark Souls easier and screw anyone who likes it how it currently is". You lose literally nothing by having an easier mode.

It's not an excuse. They're not obligated to cater to everyone. If you're not one of the people they choose to cater to then it truly sucks to be you. That's the way they built it and yes it is absolutely their prerogative to do so.

And yes, you do lose something by having easier mode. You cheapen the experience for everyone who chooses to run through it on that easier mode. You dull the impact. They might not realize it, they might not care. Doesn't matter. It's still there. You also expend resources on detuning the game to account for it.

Basically this. The developers have designed the game to be that difficult and balanced it around that. I look at it the same way I look at certain restaurants that won’t alter the meal even if you want them to. You want to eat there, you eat what they serve. You want to make substitutions or ask for a less spicy version of something, you eat elsewhere.

It’s not about cheapening the experience for other players (or diners in the restaurant example) obviously it has no impact on us. But the developers want the game to be experienced a certain way and want players to have a certain experience when playing it. Adding in an easy mode would get in the way of that.
You look EXTREMELY immature when you announce that you're about to ignore someone. No one cares, including the person about to be ignored. Just FYI.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
4 weeks ago#84
ChaoticKnuckles posted...
But the developers want the game to be experienced a certain way and want players to have a certain experience when playing it. Adding in an easy mode would get in the way of that.

Obviously if the developers add an easy difficulty to THEIR game, they intended it to be experienced by a wider audience. Why is this so hard to understand? The universe doesn't revolve around you/your gaming tastes, if somebody wants to play a game on an easier/harder mode that will in no way affect your experience, who gives a flying fig? The myopia around here is incredible at times.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
4 weeks ago#85
I look at it the same way I look at certain restaurants that won’t alter the meal even if you want them to. You want to eat there, you eat what they serve. You want to make substitutions or ask for a less spicy version of something, you eat elsewhere.

Yeah, and know what happens to those restaurants? They get a rep of being stubborn and not customer centric and they take less business.

Most restaurants will allow you to customise your meal in certain ways. Sure, they won't let you use different meats or make the portion bigger for the same size, but if you really hate, say, onions, they will gladly make you one without onions *if they're not douchebag chefs*.

The idea that you're perfectly okay with having literally no say in the thing you're paying for and consuming baffles me. The fact you think bad restaurants is a good example of why you're right baffles me more.

But the developers want the game to be experienced a certain way and want players to have a certain experience when playing it. Adding in an easy mode would get in the way of that.

Again...who cares? I don't give a crap what the developers envisioned for their game. I bought a product and I'll enjoy it the way I want to. If I buy GTAV and never touch the story that the developers wanted me to play, am I playing the game wrong somehow? Should I have mycopy taken away because I'm not adhering to the developers' wishes? Or maybe I should be left alone to play how I like.

"My artistic vision" is such a crap, cop out answer for why a game shouldn't have more features that benefit the end user. Maybe no game should have customisable controls either, because the developer wished you to play it a certain way, and if they want to make you press the triggers to jump who are you to argue?
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 weeks ago#86
JKatarn posted...

Obviously if the developers add an easy difficulty to THEIR game, they intended it to be experienced by a wider audience. Why is this so hard to understand? The universe doesn't revolve around you/your gaming tastes, if somebody wants to play a game on an easier/harder mode that will in no way affect your experience, who gives a flying fig? The myopia around here is incredible at times.

Clearly you missed the point. This isn't about developers choosing to add an extra difficulty. This is about consumers failing to accept that the developer is the one who gets to make that call and whining about the game when the devs choose not to. Case in point...

Dragon Nexus posted...
Again...who cares? I don't give a crap what the developers envisioned for their game.

The developers care. And their opinion is the only one that matters as they're producing the game. Unless of course you want to hack in your own modded difficulty level, in which case more power to you. It's still not your place to demand they bend to your whims.
Even I'm not crazy enough to believe that distortion of reality

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 weeks ago#87
JKatarn posted...

Your response seems to be arguing in opposite directions at the same time. First, you talk about developers wanting THEIR game to be experienced as THEY intended, and then you do a complete 180 and talk about "if somebody wants to experience a game on an easier/harder mode, who cares?"

The bottom line is it's the developers' call how they want their game to be experienced. Not yours. The developer is under absolutely zero obligation to cater their game to you, or even to cater to the widest possible audience, even if that does mean better chance of more money. Artistic vision is absolutely a valid argument (not an excuse) in the substance an art form - including game design.

It is also entirely valid to dislike a game because you find it too hard - or too easy. What's not quite so valid is claiming that game is "good" or "bad" simply because you found it too hard/easy. It may just not have been created with your specific demographic in mind. As an example already given, Dark Souls was not exactly created with the casual demographic in mind. And that is perfectly OK, just as it's perfectly OK for those in the casual demographic to dislike the game. Nothing wrong with any of that. That doesn't make it a "bad" game though.

You're right that nobody should object if the dev choses to add easier/harder modes to their game, since it doesn't affect the difficulty you'll play it at. You just have to remember that that is the developer's choice, not the gamers'.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: giglamesh99

giglamesh99
4 weeks ago#88
GoddessPerry_08 posted...
My friend said he thinks Fortnite is a fun game but can't play it because he hates the art style.

I've also heard someone saying they disliked Dark Souls because it's just hard to be hard

Considering you have to look at the game 100% of the time you play.... Something that isn't visually appealing can ruin the experience

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 weeks ago#89
Dragon Nexus posted...
"My artistic vision" is such a crap, cop out answer

No, it seriously is not. Video game creation is an art form, just like music, movies, painting, architecture, and all sorts of other things. Artistic vision is 100% a legitimate reason (not excuse, not cop-out) for making any particular design decision. Maybe you could grow up and recognize that nothing requires the developer to include YOU in their vision. YOU cannot, and should not, expect every game created to be built with your tastes in mind. ACDC does not appeal to everyone, just like Eminem doesn't, and Katy Perry doesn't, and Mozart doesn't, and so on. It's childish and silly to think that every game should be built to your personal tastes, and the developers are responsible to cater to you.

Yes, once you buy a game, you CAN play it however you like (unless it's MP and you play in ways that interfere with or ruin the game for the other players - in that case, they can and should kick your ass right out of there). That is not the same as you finding ways to adapt the game to how you want it AFTER you get it - and again, the devs aren't the ones catering to you there. Catering to the widest possible audience also means catering to the lowest common denominator. Not every dev wants to do that, and they are fully within their rights not to.

And yes, this extends even to specific, non-customizable controls. Typically, lack of control customization on PC is an oversight rather than an explicit design decision, usually a result of poor porting from a platform where it's not even really an issue. However, the devs might have a specific reason to want to force a specific control scheme that plays into the overall design of the game. You can still find ways to work around that restriction and customize it or whatever, and that's fine, but they aren't responsible to make it easy for you to do it.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
4 weeks ago#90
Games getting "downgraded".
It was so funny listening to people flip their s*** about Witcher 3 getting downgraded visually from it's E3 video. It was only a video.
MOD: Mindless, Oppressive, & Delusional
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. The dumbest complaints you've heard for disliking a game

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived