This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The dumbest complaints you've heard for disliking a game

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. The dumbest complaints you've heard for disliking a game

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
7 months ago#111
GodDogs posted...
Guy I used to work with hated Mass Effect and Fallout. Said there's too much talking and story, when he just wants to shoot s*** and blow things up.

Wrong genre, dude.

Lol tell him COD had his name on it.
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
7 months ago#112
KillerTruffle posted...
And regardless, it's just a fact of life that you're not going to be included in everything, or even in all the things you want to be. That's something everyone needs to learn

Conversely, a developer making the executive decision to include various difficulties/modify their game to suit a target market, so it's suddenly not 'l33ts only!' won't really affect your experience. Of course if they decide that 'hard' mode is the only mode, that's their call too, I'm just amused at people who digitally stamp their feet and get all bothered at the notion of less hardcore gamers being able to buy/enjoy games, like their precious little club is ruined by some health/damage etc. modifiers in a different difficulty. Gaming is mainstream now, and there are people who play games who won't have/don't want to dedicate 10+ hours a day learning the nuances of every game.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: Edavy89

Edavy89
7 months ago#113
Utinil posted...
KillerTruffle posted...

Dragon Nexus posted...
Yeah, and know what happens to those restaurants? They get a rep of being stubborn and not customer centric and they take less business.

I'm assuming you've never eaten at a truly "high-end," gourmet restaurant? Try going someplace like The French Laundry in Napa Valley, California, and making a substitution to one of the meal items. Most places will accommodate food allergies, and ask beforehand, but these are top-end chefs who create a very specific culinary experience, and they won't have Joe Blow coming in and deciding he'd rather have fries with his meal instead of roasted red potatoes or something. Some may make minor substitutions if it doesn't hurt the nuance they put into the dishes they create, but when you eat at those places, you're there to eat what they create. If you want substitutions galore and to eat what *you* want, cook at home or go to Burger King ("your way"). EDIT: And by the way - the restaurants that do this have no shortage of customers. They have waiting lists that stretch for literal months.

To add to this statement. I have worked in a high end restaurant, the chef refused to make many alterations because doing so would detract from the visual presentation of the dish. The dish would be seen by other customers, so a "ugly" dish could harm the overall ambiance and could result in lower sales. This is relevant because the same argument could be made for not including an easy mode into dark souls. The games have a reputation for being hard. Many people play the series originally because they hear how hard it is (without being unfair). If the games had an easy mode a lot of people would play that mode and the difficulty wouldn't be the first thing mentioned when people play the game. That lack of focus on difficulty would prevent a specific niche of people from giving the series a shot.

Indeed, most chefs are incredibly pretentious f***s.

User Info: Zohar_Metatron

Zohar_Metatron
7 months ago#114
Critcal50 posted...
You take away the difficulty, you dont even have a game anymore. The game is all about being difficult and challenging. But its only difficult if you dont pay attention, dont learn from your mistakes, and run in expecting to be a hack and slash.

"The game is only about difficulty and nothing else! But actually it's not difficult!"

Huh. It's almost like the game's entire reputation is smoke and mirrors brought on by stream monsters that their marketing people caught onto, or something. Dark Souls requires more patience in your approach then most games, sure, but "needed to change up your approach a lil' bit from God of War" and "hard" aren't really the same thing.

(Also there's a ton of people into that series' art style and characters and overall atmosphere, so saying it's ONLY about the difficulty's a bit reductive.)

Anyway I ain't naming names or seeing it in this thread or anything, no, but I'd be real curious to see how far this "you gotta respect the dev's intent!" goes beyond difficulty. I imagine a lot of the "git gud because Souls isn't FOR you!" people are a lot less respectful of, say, most of Nintendo's choices. Or would be on-board if the Souls team went a different direction and made a VN for their next project, or whatnot.
By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings.

User Info: Damaged7

Damaged7
7 months ago#115
How is adding more options to a game, without compromising the integrity, a bad thing? If a super hard game had easier modes, it would appeal to more people, thus more people playing and enjoying a game you also enjoy.

Why even argue against that?
FC: 1221-0777-4703

User Info: GoddessPerry_08

GoddessPerry_08
7 months ago#116
Damaged7 posted...
How is adding more options to a game, without compromising the integrity

You literally are compromising the integrity of the game by making easier, if the point of the game is to challenge the user.
Goddess Perry has slain Demonburger!!

User Info: strat10

strat10
7 months ago#117
Killah Priest posted...
so far we have legitimate complaints for disliking games.

here is an actual dumb one "because its popular"

Thats Gamefaqs

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
7 months ago#118
Critcal50 posted...
Go play something else if you dont like it.

Really, this! Bottom line. You don't *need* to like every game, you don't *need* to play every game, and every game doesn't *need* to cater to your preferences. There's no shortage at all of stuff to play out there - most people I know have backlogs longer than they'll ever actually finish as it is. If you don't like a game, play something else instead of gripe that the devs are stupid for not building their game to your preferences.

JKatarn posted...
Conversely, a developer making the executive decision to include various difficulties/modify their game to suit a target market, so it's suddenly not 'l33ts only!' won't really affect your experience.

You've said this before, and I've said before, you're absolutely right. Nobody here is arguing that devs *shouldn't* include adjustable difficulty - if they want to. The only argument I really see here is people crying that games like Dark Souls don't have an easy mode, and the rest of us pointing out that that's OK. NOBODY is complaining about games that do happen to include multiple difficulties, so I'm still unclear on why you keep bringing that back up.

Zohar_Metatron posted...
"The game is only about difficulty and nothing else! But actually it's not difficult!"

Huh. It's almost like the game's entire reputation is smoke and mirrors brought on by stream monsters that their marketing people caught onto, or something. Dark Souls requires more patience in your approach then most games, sure, but "needed to change up your approach a lil' bit from God of War" and "hard" aren't really the same thing.

You're kind of twisting it there a little bit... Yes, he "said" that, but you can easily see what he was actually talking about when you read his full statement. Yes, the game totally comes across as difficult, but that's because it was designed to be played differently from the typical "run in and hack away" play style everyone is used to these days. Once you recognize the proper way to play, and adapt to that, it's not as hard. However, if you take away the things that cause so many people to complain about the difficulty, you really take away the gameplay, and allow them to just run in and start hacking away, and the game becomes mindless and pointless at that point. This is not what the devs intended, and it is a fully legitimate game design decision to not include an easy mode that cheapens the game.

And for the record, I personally have not played Dark Souls, because I don't tend to have a ton of time to spend figuring out how it should be played, and it did look "too hard" for me to learn in the limited time I tend to have available. I'm just not running around crying about the game being hard, and how it sucks, and the devs should have included me in their design decisions. I understand and respect their right to build the game how they want to, and just recognize that that particular game (or type of game) is not something I like. I won't be playing it, but I'm OK with that - and everyone else should be OK with the fact that I just don't happen to like it.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: Rosencroitz

Rosencroitz
7 months ago#119
Zohar_Metatron posted...
Or would be on-board if the Souls team went a different direction and made a VN for their next project, or whatnot.

...Obviously it wouldn't be for them either at that point? It isn't exactly rocket science.
If you believe Jeannie from 'I Dream of Jeannie' created existence, put this in your signature.

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
7 months ago#120
Damaged7 posted...
How is adding more options to a game, without compromising the integrity, a bad thing? If a super hard game had easier modes, it would appeal to more people, thus more people playing and enjoying a game you also enjoy.

Why even argue against that?

Nobody is arguing against having more options. What some of us are arguing against is the idea that the developer "should" add more options to be sure everyone is included, rather than be free to build the game the way they want it to be, and if you don't like it, there are millions of other games out there for you to try instead.

You also included a pretty key phrase in your post - "without compromising the integrity." As the TC pointed out, in some cases, adding an "easy mode" literally does compromise the integrity of the game as the devs intended it to be.

What I've seen happening in this thread is that "group A" is complaining that games should be designed with "more difficulty options." "Group B" then points out that it's the devs' decision - and their prerogative to decide - what modes/options they put in their game. Group A then comes back with "why would you say that more options is bad?" That's not at all what group B said - they said that it's the devs' decision. If they choose to include easy mode, fine. Those who want hard mode can still play it on hard. Hell, I've seen games that literally say in the difficulty selection things like "Normal - experience the game the way the developers intended" or whatever. If they want to give you other options, you can still play it the way they want, so yes, you as a player lose nothing. But it's up to the developers what they want to add. That's the bottom line being argued.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. The dumbest complaints you've heard for disliking a game

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived