This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Intel Optane memory for secondary HDD?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Intel Optane memory for secondary HDD?

User Info: necrogodomega

necrogodomega
1 month ago#1
I'm about to upgrade my MoBo and I saw this is a thing now. I've never even heard of it before. I tried to do some searching but couldn't seem to find a definitive answer.

Is the boost to speed only for the OS primary drive or can any HDD be boosted?
"Azarath Metrion Zinthos!"

User Info: Ciera

Ciera
1 month ago#2
In it's current form (which is a test bed for future Optane based tech) it's not much better than a conventional SSHD. If you have enough money to burn on an Optane drive just buy a conventional SSD or better yet a NVMe SSD.
I'll... shave that cat.

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
1 month ago#3
Did higher capacity ones come out? They're good for a cache if you're using an hdd but at the available capacities not worth it over nvme. Their write speeds are comparable, optane wins in access times while nvme wins in capacity. Capacity is the most important thing to me in an ssd, even moreso than higher speeds.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: necrogodomega

necrogodomega
1 month ago#4
Yeah, I wasn't planning to use it over an SSD primary drive. What I was hoping was that it could help boost my 8TB HDD game and storage drive.

Thanks for the responses.
"Azarath Metrion Zinthos!"
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Intel Optane memory for secondary HDD?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived