This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have you updated yet? (for Meltdown/Spectre)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Have you updated yet? (for Meltdown/Spectre)

User Info: ghstbstr

ghstbstr
6 months ago#51
gideond posted...
ghstbstr posted...
I voted other, because I really don't know what Meltdown/Spectre is. Is it an os or a cpu?

Neither. They are flaws in the CPU design that results in a rather big security problem with just about all CPUs going back to about 1995. Meltdown only affects Intel. Spectre affects just about all brands of CPU. Some of it can be mitigated in software and some has to be done in hardware so this has an effect on both your hardware and software configurations.

So if I get this update my pc is screwed, or will there be a fix for it eventually?
My gaming consoles - PS4 Pro, Xbox One X.
My gaming PC - Alienware Alpha R2.

User Info: Born Lucky

Born Lucky
6 months ago#52
Got the update 2 weeks ago, automatically . I didn't have to "do" anything.

I get the same performance now that I had before the update.

WTH do you people do to your computers that constantly causes you all these problems?
Corsair 550D/ Gigabyte Z170X Gaming3 / Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2666 / i-5 6600k / MSI Twin Frozr VI GTX 1060 / Thermaltake NiC C5

User Info: SkittyOnWailord

SkittyOnWailord
6 months ago#53
Born Lucky posted...
WTH do you people do to your computers that constantly causes you all these problems?

One of my laptops has decided to never get new updates and just searches forever (most I've tried was 3 hours of searching). Microsoft's answer to me was they have no idea why. So... yeah. I guess I could manually install each update for the past year on it?
I'm here! I'm furry! I'll try not to shed! =^_^=
i7 5820K|Rampage V Extreme|32GB DDR4 Ripjaws 4|2xSLI GTX 980ti Lightning LE|HAF 932|Sony 55inch 4K HDR|HTC Vive

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
6 months ago#54
SkittyOnWailord posted...
Born Lucky posted...

One of my laptops has decided to never get new updates and just searches forever (most I've tried was 3 hours of searching). Microsoft's answer to me was they have no idea why. So... yeah. I guess I could manually install each update for the past year on it?

That sounds weird, but I've always just updated using the Windows 10 assistant tool when dealing with old not updated PCs.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: SkittyOnWailord

SkittyOnWailord
6 months ago#55
godplaysSNES posted...
SkittyOnWailord posted...
Born Lucky posted...

That sounds weird, but I've always just updated using the Windows 10 assistant tool when dealing with old not updated PCs.

I forgot to mention it's still on Windows 8. And it's only on that because Razer (who made it) said it isn't compatible with 10.
I'm here! I'm furry! I'll try not to shed! =^_^=
i7 5820K|Rampage V Extreme|32GB DDR4 Ripjaws 4|2xSLI GTX 980ti Lightning LE|HAF 932|Sony 55inch 4K HDR|HTC Vive

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
6 months ago#56
gideond posted...
ghstbstr posted...
I voted other, because I really don't know what Meltdown/Spectre is. Is it an os or a cpu?

Neither. They are flaws in the CPU design that results in a rather big security problem with just about all CPUs going back to about 1995. Meltdown only affects Intel. Spectre affects just about all brands of CPU. Some of it can be mitigated in software and some has to be done in hardware so this has an effect on both your hardware and software configurations.

If this s*** dates back from over 20 years ago, when how come 22 years later there is going to be a performance problem now and not a while back ago?
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: RyanEsau

RyanEsau
6 months ago#57
Rexdragon125 posted...
Don't actually apply the BIOS updates yet. Intel confirmed they're defective.

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/firmware-updates-and-initial-performance-data-for-data-center-systems/
Firmware Updates

We have now issued firmware updates for 90 percent of Intel CPUs introduced in the past five years, but we have more work to do. As I noted in my blog post last week, while the firmware updates are effective at mitigating exposure to the security issues, customers have reported more frequent reboots on firmware updated systems.

As part of this, we have determined that similar behavior occurs on other products in some configurations, including Ivy Bridge-, Sandy Bridge-, Skylake-, and Kaby Lake-based platforms. We have reproduced these issues internally and are making progress toward identifying the root cause. In parallel, we will be providing beta microcode to vendors for validation by next week.

For those customers looking for additional guidance, we have provided more information on this Intel.com Security Center site. I will also continue to provide regular updates on the status.

Whoops lol

😅

zhenghan posted...
you can disable windows update on 7, you can't on 10.

Don't plenty of people disable the Windows Update Service on 10?

Fade2black001 posted...
If this s*** dates back from over 20 years ago, when how come 22 years later there is going to be a performance problem now and not a while back ago?

Well, the problem is only getting resolved/patched now.... and unfortunately that patch makes some performance loss due to how it's works. Don't think the time span has anything to do with it, it's just something that hasn't surfaced for 20~ years. I'm guessing back then didn't exactly have these firms/companies and such that purposely look for these flaws so they can get reported to the respective company and get patched, preferably without making news headline but slips happen I guess...
PSN: RyanEsau | https://psnprofiles.com/RyanEsau
PC: i7-6700K @ 4.5 Ghz, Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 OC | https://www.steamcommunity.com/id/gamingtothemax

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
6 months ago#58
AndronicusZero posted...
The last BIOS update for my Z77 was back in 2013, so not much chance that'll happen. Windows is updated though.

Likewise, my board's last BIOS update was in May, 2014.

User Info: gideond

gideond
6 months ago#59
Born Lucky posted...
Got the update 2 weeks ago, automatically . I didn't have to "do" anything.

I get the same performance now that I had before the update.

I work on a lot of computers for people. A LOT of them have issues with Windows Update. It's not due to anything on their part either. Windows Update can just be a pain. Of all the computers I deal with on a frequent basis only the Windows 7 and 8 machines have consistently gotten the patches as it's part of the regular rollups. None of the Win10 computers I deal with have seen the patch automatically. They just say the system is up to date. Manual install works fine.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

User Info: gideond

gideond
6 months ago#60
RyanEsau posted...
Rexdragon125 posted...
Don't actually apply the BIOS updates yet. Intel confirmed they're defective.

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/firmware-updates-and-initial-performance-data-for-data-center-systems/
Firmware Updates

We have now issued firmware updates for 90 percent of Intel CPUs introduced in the past five years, but we have more work to do. As I noted in my blog post last week, while the firmware updates are effective at mitigating exposure to the security issues, customers have reported more frequent reboots on firmware updated systems.

As part of this, we have determined that similar behavior occurs on other products in some configurations, including Ivy Bridge-, Sandy Bridge-, Skylake-, and Kaby Lake-based platforms. We have reproduced these issues internally and are making progress toward identifying the root cause. In parallel, we will be providing beta microcode to vendors for validation by next week.

For those customers looking for additional guidance, we have provided more information on this Intel.com Security Center site. I will also continue to provide regular updates on the status.

Whoops lol

😅

zhenghan posted...
you can disable windows update on 7, you can't on 10.

Don't plenty of people disable the Windows Update Service on 10?

Fade2black001 posted...

Well, the problem is only getting resolved/patched now.... and unfortunately that patch makes some performance loss due to how it's works. Don't think the time span has anything to do with it, it's just something that hasn't surfaced for 20~ years. I'm guessing back then didn't exactly have these firms/companies and such that purposely look for these flaws so they can get reported to the respective company and get patched, preferably without making news headline but slips happen I guess...

Yep it isn't the flaw causing the performance hit. It's the way the OS and firmware has to be patched to protect against it.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Have you updated yet? (for Meltdown/Spectre)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived