This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have you updated yet? (for Meltdown/Spectre)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Have you updated yet? (for Meltdown/Spectre)

User Info: Sir_Haxor

Sir_Haxor
7 months ago#41
Not updating for this junk. 3 years from now we'll find out these patches are NSA spyware BS or something similar and I don't feel like wasting my time it.

My mobo isn't getting a bios update anyway and I'm not interested in SSD performance loss.
Z97A | 4690k 4.6GHz | Hyper 212 Evo | EVGA GTX 1080ti | EVGA GS 650w | 16GB DDR3 | WDB 3TB |128GB SSD | Toshiba 500GB | Challenger S | Acer G257HU | LG 27UD68 |

User Info: Supremo

Supremo
7 months ago#42
No I'm not getting it. I'm on Windows 8 anyway
Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are. - Ryu

User Info: Lonestar2000

Lonestar2000
7 months ago#43
There is a BIOS update for my Kaby Lake build. Nothing yet for my Skylake laptop or my Ivy Bridge build.
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room. Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#ImpeachTrump

User Info: Rexdragon125

Rexdragon125
7 months ago#44
Don't actually apply the BIOS updates yet. Intel confirmed they're defective.

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/firmware-updates-and-initial-performance-data-for-data-center-systems/
Firmware Updates

We have now issued firmware updates for 90 percent of Intel CPUs introduced in the past five years, but we have more work to do. As I noted in my blog post last week, while the firmware updates are effective at mitigating exposure to the security issues, customers have reported more frequent reboots on firmware updated systems.

As part of this, we have determined that similar behavior occurs on other products in some configurations, including Ivy Bridge-, Sandy Bridge-, Skylake-, and Kaby Lake-based platforms. We have reproduced these issues internally and are making progress toward identifying the root cause. In parallel, we will be providing beta microcode to vendors for validation by next week.

For those customers looking for additional guidance, we have provided more information on this Intel.com Security Center site. I will also continue to provide regular updates on the status.

Whoops lol

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
7 months ago#45
How does this s*** work? I have a 3570 and doubt it will get updated for anything and as of now everything is running fine and normally. Am I suddenly going to loose performance at some point?
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
7 months ago#46
Fade2black001 posted...
How does this s*** work? I have a 3570 and doubt it will get updated for anything and as of now everything is running fine and normally. Am I suddenly going to loose performance at some point?

if you're on windows 10 you will get it at some point.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: ghstbstr

ghstbstr
7 months ago#47
I voted other, because I really don't know what Meltdown/Spectre is. Is it an os or a cpu?
My gaming consoles - PS4 Pro, Xbox One X.
My gaming PC - Alienware Alpha R2.

User Info: gideond

gideond
7 months ago#48
zhenghan posted...
Fade2black001 posted...

If you are on 7, 8, or 10 you'll get it. So far results are showing Win10 is the least affected performancewise. Win7 is hit the hardest because a lot more has to change there. Win10 evidently already made changes to a lot of the software code that is going to result in performance hits long before this ever became known to the public. As for the firmware updates, that's up to the manufacturer of the hardware to issue a BIOS update. How fast and if they do it at all for your board is entirely up to them.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

User Info: gideond

gideond
7 months ago#49
ghstbstr posted...
I voted other, because I really don't know what Meltdown/Spectre is. Is it an os or a cpu?

Neither. They are flaws in the CPU design that results in a rather big security problem with just about all CPUs going back to about 1995. Meltdown only affects Intel. Spectre affects just about all brands of CPU. Some of it can be mitigated in software and some has to be done in hardware so this has an effect on both your hardware and software configurations.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
7 months ago#50
gideond posted...
zhenghan posted...
Fade2black001 posted...

If you are on 7, 8, or 10 you'll get it. So far results are showing Win10 is the least affected performancewise. Win7 is hit the hardest because a lot more has to change there. Win10 evidently already made changes to a lot of the software code that is going to result in performance hits long before this ever became known to the public. As for the firmware updates, that's up to the manufacturer of the hardware to issue a BIOS update. How fast and if they do it at all for your board is entirely up to them.

you can disable windows update on 7, you can't on 10.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Have you updated yet? (for Meltdown/Spectre)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived