This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New to Steam and want to like to know if there is a legit way to share Steam..

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. New to Steam and want to like to know if there is a legit way to share Steam..

User Info: WaffIeElite

WaffIeElite
1 month ago#11
Offline mode works. Also you can trick games (At least some) by copying the install directory, uninstalling off Steam and then putting the game in its own folder.

I've run Alien: Isolation online, Elite: Dangerous offline and Baldurs Gate redirected at the same time all on the same machine for the sake of experimenation. I'm sure if I screwed around I could do more, but I typically just run something on my desktop online and a game offline on my laptop.
I have a signature. Apparently this is important, but I still don't have my secret cool kid decoder ring yet.

User Info: stav8

stav8
1 month ago#12
Some misinformation here.

Steam family sharing
Allows you to share majority of your games to other selected accounts. Need to sign in on a machine with account sharing with and activate it on that machine. Any user that signs on to that machine will then be allowed to play majority of games installed and download others. Some games like csgo cannot be shared and need to buy a different license for other accounts. Also games that need 3rd party clients can't be shared (Eg Uplay games)

Family sharing will allow up to 5 users/machines to play 5 different games simultaneously, however you can't play the same game at the same time. Account holder has control and if they pick a game someone else is playing they will get kicked u less in offline mode
NZXT Stormforce 240:16GB DDR4 RAM:Core i5 6600k: GTX 1060 6 GB: 2TB SSHD:2TB HDD:128 GB SSD:AS ROCK Z170 EXTREME 4; CORSAIR 750W: THERMALTAKE 3.0 LIQUID COOLING

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
1 month ago#13
JoboHotep posted...
arleas posted...
or "Strip Action"

I need an action stripper. Just sounds like someone......motivated.

It sounds like getting Max Payne or something to strip for you while doing air acrobatics in slow motion.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: Jrambharose

Jrambharose
1 month ago#14
stav8 posted...
Some misinformation here.

Steam family sharing
Allows you to share majority of your games to other selected accounts...

This, don't need offline mode anymore.
i7-950@4.1GHz | STRIX GTX1070-O8G | 12GB RAM | 840 SSD 250GB | 2xWD Black 1TB

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
1 month ago#15
stav8 posted...
Family sharing will allow up to 5 users/machines to play 5 different games simultaneously, however you can't play the same game at the same time.

Unless they changed that recently, no it doesn't. If you're playing a shared game, and the person that shared it with you starts playing one of their games, you have 5 minutes to save and quit before you get booted out of the game.

http://store.steampowered.com/promotion/familysharing
Is there a limit to the number of devices or friends I can authorize to share my Library?
Yes. You may authorize Family Library Sharing on up to 10 devices at a given time, and for up to 5 accounts that may then use your game library on any of your authorized computers.

Can two users share a library and both play at the same time?
No, a shared library may only be accessed by one user at a time.

Love the "misinformation" here's an actual source...
MOD: Mindless, Oppressive, & Delusional

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
1 month ago#16
stav8 posted...
Family sharing will allow up to 5 users/machines to play 5 different games simultaneously

*citation needed

Yeah, that's bulls***. I have family share enabled, and my wife absolutely cannot keep playing if I log into my Steam account. It kicks her off.

You're right that there's a 5-user maximum for sharing period, but not one of them can be playing while you're playing through your own Steam account. The instant you fire up a game, if you're online, you kick them off whatever they're playing, even if it's an offline SP game. Additionally, Steam says very explicitly that only one user may access the shared library at a time.

Funny you should talk about misinformation, when you're the only one spreading it.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
1 month ago#17
KillerTruffle posted...
Funny you should talk about misinformation, when you're the only one spreading it.

I think you misunderstood his post, the first sentence wasn't meant to be interpreted as "There is some misinformation in this topic." and the rest of the post corrects it. Instead it should be read as as "Here is some misinformation" and then proceeds to add misinformation.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

KillerTruffle
1 month ago#18
vlado_e posted...
I think you misunderstood his post, the first sentence wasn't meant to be interpreted as "There is some misinformation in this topic." and the rest of the post corrects it. Instead it should be read as as "Here is some misinformation" and then proceeds to add misinformation.

That would make sense... heh

KillerTruffle
1 month ago#19
Jrambharose posted...
don't need offline mode anymore.

*citation needed

User Info: Boge

Boge
1 month ago#20
If he's using your account to play something, you can go into offline mode and play something as well. Of course you have the restrictions of being offline, thus no online games, and I think no achievements. If he goes into offline mode, your library will not show in his games list.

If he's in a game, you still have access to your games. If you choose to play something, it will give him 5 minutes, warning him every minute before kicking him out. If you're in a game and he wants to play something, the PLAY button will be BUY instead. Sometimes, for no reason that I can discern, he'll lose access to your account and you'll need to log in on his computer to activate it again. It's not hard, but a small inconvenience.
With deeper knowledge and experience, everything becomes more shallow.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. New to Steam and want to like to know if there is a legit way to share Steam..

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived