This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good time to upgrade my GPU?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Good time to upgrade my GPU?

User Info: Scorpion122178

Scorpion122178
8 months ago#1
I have a Geforce 680 right now, and recently got a 4K TV. I want to be able to play games at 4K, so to that end I want to get a Geforce 1080.

But I would like to wait a little for the price to go down. I've heard that the next series is coming out soon. Does anyone have a good idea how long it usually takes for previous gen GPU's to go down in price and by how much? Also would it be best to wait until black friday or something?
Currently playing: Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, Total War: Warhammer, Halo 3, Metroid: Return of Samus
FC: 2638 - 1204 - 7548

User Info: ritsuka66

ritsuka66
8 months ago#2
its one worst time for buy a gpu now . wait for the end of 2018 for buy or you will buy for a price of at least 3x more expensive for a gpu.
Life....Hope...Dreams, What are these things? And where are they going? These things... I will destroy! -KEFKA -

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
8 months ago#3
To do a solid 60fps you need a 1080ti

A 1080 will get you 4k but it will not be solid though. Maybe a solid 30fps.
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: Scorpion122178

Scorpion122178
8 months ago#4
ritsuka66 posted...
its one worst time for buy a gpu now . wait for the end of 2018 for buy or you will buy for a price of at least 3x more expensive for a gpu.

really? It'll get 3 times cheaper in 11 months?
Currently playing: Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, Total War: Warhammer, Halo 3, Metroid: Return of Samus
FC: 2638 - 1204 - 7548

User Info: xer2000

xer2000
8 months ago#5
Scorpion122178 posted...
It'll get 3 times cheaper in 11 months?

Not necessarily, the problem is that GPUs keep getting better, ie. the difference in power between a 980 and a 1080 is pretty significant, but the prices don't really drop in a way that would make sense.
To top that off with the fact that crypto-farming is becoming more mainstream people are grabbing every card they can get their hands on, the supply side cant keep up. The best deals you can find will be people upgrading their rigs to current gen, if that's a risk you want to take.

That said, if you are running a 680 you are probably getting close to it's limit if you want to run games at a consistent 60fps on ultra. Getting brand new card seems a little excessive, but really anything you throw in 9xx series and above would be a marked improvement imo. So long as you get it gaming grade (x60 and above)

Edit: sorry didnt notice you want to play at 4k. right now nothing can really pull that off consistently. 1080ti would be the best bet, but you'll have to wait if you want a true 4k 60fps experience.
i5-3570K @ 4.4Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X, 32 GB RAM, MSI GTX 980
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Good time to upgrade my GPU?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived