This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC will be stored in car during winter. Will hardware components get damaged?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC will be stored in car during winter. Will hardware components get damaged?

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
4 weeks ago#11
Harddrives may suffer data loss or damage depending on how cold it gets. Aside from that, as others have said, condensation is a much bigger concern than temperature for storage of electronics.
Putting it in a dry environment(I've heard some people saying to store it near an open bag of rice for a day) for an extended period before turning it on for the first time is a good idea.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: Fony

Fony
4 weeks ago#12
Dat sweet morning dew on your motherboard.
It's not the end of the world, but we can see it from here.

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
4 weeks ago#13
F or c? Makes a difference.
Running a computer at -40c like today is a little rough on the spinning components but that's about it.

Just make sure the system is defrosted and dry before starting it up again.
Also don't ask pch about winter. The majority here are Americans and they think winter means 30f. Go to the Canada board if you want winter advice.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: Voidgolem

Voidgolem
4 weeks ago#14
SinisterSlay posted...

Also don't ask pch about winter. The majority here are Americans and they think winter means 30f.

more like -4.
https://i.imgur.com/Uiyemc7.jpg

User Info: it_r_over9000

it_r_over9000
4 weeks ago#15
SinisterSlay posted...
The majority here are Americans and they think winter means 30f

I live in southwest Missouri and this morning the snow was blowing sideways and the air temperature was about 20 degrees. The wind chill was about -20F at the very least. Maybe not as cold as Canada but it was really cold.
i7 4770k @ 4.5 | H115i | Asus Hero VI | Asus Strix 1080 ti | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | XFX 850w Pro Black Full Modular | 850 EVO 1TB x2, 500GB | Seagate 1TB HDD

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
4 weeks ago#16
I'd store it in a tightly sealed bag, probably just a big garbage bag with a good tight knot should do it. A big bag of silica gel would be good to keep in there as well. Let it acclimate inside the bag for a few hours before setting it back up. This should alleviate any potential condensation.

Pretty much every part in your pc is designed to survive being stored in a non-climate controlled warehouse. This includes closed loop coolers which generally have antifreeze in the loop to combat freezing temperatures.

If you still have the box to your case that'd be ideal to store it in, inside the bag. The styrofoam packing material should insulate it fairly well and keep the temperature swings from being too rapid.

If you have an SSD I'd remove it and keep it somewhere warmer if at all possible, nand doesn't like getting too cold. This is a matter of data integrity and not permanent damage though as far as I know, so if you have backups of the important stuff and don't mind reinstalling it shouldn't be a problem.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: Villain

Villain
4 weeks ago#17
You don't have a friend or family member that can hold onto it for awhile?
http://i.imgur.com/ZWNgMXL.jpg
Formerly known as Will VIIII

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
4 weeks ago#18
it_r_over9000 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
The majority here are Americans and they think winter means 30f

I live in southwest Missouri and this morning the snow was blowing sideways and the air temperature was about 20 degrees. The wind chill was about -20F at the very least. Maybe not as cold as Canada but it was really cold.

Wow almost need a warm sweater to go outside.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 weeks ago#19
Hope you're not including your monitor in that storage, because cold WILL destroy those.
Even I'm not crazy enough to believe that distortion of reality

User Info: Renraku_San

Renraku_San
4 weeks ago#20
Nope - it'll be fine - PC's and computer components love cold, the colder the better.
I worship Jesus Christ and am 100% proud to be Christian!
I read the Bible every day, you should too!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC will be stored in car during winter. Will hardware components get damaged?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived