This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

how long does thermal paste stay good for

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. how long does thermal paste stay good for

User Info: SnipeStar

SnipeStar
6 months ago#1
i gotta replace the fans on my AIO cooler, so i'm gonna take it all apart, clean it out, and i figured i might as well give it a fresh application of thermal paste. I dug out my tube of artic silver ceramique, which i havent used in a few years now (the cap has been covering the end of the tube and all that) so i was wondering if it would still be good.
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | GTX 980Ti FTW | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro/2TB Seagate | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV05

User Info: hypnoticspector

hypnoticspector
6 months ago#2
push a lil bit out to see if there has been any separation or discoloration. it's probably still good.

worst case scenario it's what, $10 for another tube?

User Info: pyromania86

pyromania86
6 months ago#3
I have a tube of Artic Silver from 2010? Just used some on my current build about a year ago. Seems to work fine. I did waste the first little bit since it seemed hardened. But I've been using the same tube for years on mine, friends and families builds. No issues as long as you get a decent application of it.
i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz | CRYORIG H7 | XFX GTR RX-480 8GB | 16GB DDR4 @ 3200 | MSI Z270 | SSD x2 | SSHD 2TB | G910/G502
http://gamercards.exophase.com/128564.png

User Info: Pal 080

Pal 080
6 months ago#4
Pretty sure it can't go bad. Just do a little test squirt before you put it on, just to make sure a bit hasn't dried near the cap or something. Then go to town, I've used tubes several years old no issues.
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate"

SnipeStar
6 months ago#5
word. thanks for the responses
i7 3820 / Corsair H80i | Asus Sabertooth X79 | GTX 980Ti FTW | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro/2TB Seagate | Corsair HX1000w | Silverstone RV05

User Info: GeminiX7

GeminiX7
6 months ago#6
I never eat it if it's been outside the fridge more than a few days. If it spreads on toast, it should be fine though.
MSI Z97| Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Cosair Vengence @ 1600 |Radeon R9 390 8GB
Who gave you permission to talk to me, mongrel?

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
6 months ago#7
GeminiX7 posted...
I never eat it if it's been outside the fridge more than a few days. If it spreads on toast, it should be fine though.

Pretty much this.

Oldest I've used at the time of application was 8 years, I think. It worked great.

User Info: Voidgolem

Voidgolem
6 months ago#8
If you can squeeze it out of the tube it'll probably work just fine.
https://i.imgur.com/Uiyemc7.jpg

User Info: Renraku_San

Renraku_San
6 months ago#9
The paste merely holds the active ingredient that provides the thermal buffer between your CPU and heatsink. And guess what, the active ingredient expires after 1 year. Sure, the paste may look fine, but you're screwed if you try and use it.

Not sure why so many people in this thread think it didn't expire, lol.
I worship Jesus Christ and am 100% proud to be Christian!
I read the Bible every day, you should too!

SnipeStar
6 months ago#10
Renraku_San posted...
The paste merely holds the active ingredient that provides the thermal buffer between your CPU and heatsink. And guess what, the active ingredient expires after 1 year. Sure, the paste may look fine, but you're screwed if you try and use it.

Not sure why so many people in this thread think it didn't expire, lol.

oh well, i went ahead and finished with it since my computer has been offline this whole time.

the reason i asked was because the bearings on one of my AIO cooler fans had gone bad, causing the fan to wobble which, beyond affecting the temperature and airflow, was making a hideously loud noise.

while i had it taken apart i decided to go ahead and give the CPU a fresh coat of paste since there was no reason not to, and cleaned out the inside of the case by hand in places that the normal vacuuming/blowing out can't really clean.

for what its worth, it seems to be working- my temps have dropped from almost 45 degrees idle to about 22 now, although i would attribute most of that to the cleaning of the heatsink since it was filthy- i spent over an hour picking out dust from inbetween the radiator spacings. i suppose ill let you know if the "expired" paste blows up any time soon.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. how long does thermal paste stay good for

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived