This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So can most of you afford to continue being PC gamers?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So can most of you afford to continue being PC gamers?

User Info: Lee7

Lee7
4 months ago#81
Im still rocking my fx-6300 + gtx 660 combo ever since 2013.. And I wont be upgrading anytime soon, well I did OC my cpu but thats it.
-Sense, this makes none-
-AMD Duron 650 @ 400 MHz / NVIDIA TITAN Xp / 2TB ram / 8MB HDD / Windows ME/ Some random PSU / Sony FW-900 24" CRT monitor-

User Info: WalkingPlague

WalkingPlague
4 months ago#82
I'm good. 1080ti + Threadripper + 16GB RAM. All is good in the world.
#PCMR

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
4 months ago#83
Born Lucky posted...
rexbaner2 posted...
Money talks and I'm sure a lot of you didn't pick up the 1080s ... can you guys upgrade or will you settle for medium / low setting

I have a 1060 and I run everything in ultra.

Same I have a R9 390 and run everything on ultra
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: KCGemini

KCGemini
4 months ago#84
It's as if this topic implies that PCs don't regularly get newer/better parts that aren't marked up or something.
What's wrong with the world these days is people don't have any common sense.
http://i.imgur.com/4p4wGOs.png

User Info: lazycomplife

lazycomplife
4 months ago#85
My OC 970 should be fine for a while, realistically, but it would be nice to have the option to upgrade to 4k with a reasonably priced card. Maybe preordering a card will guarantee MSRP before miners mess it up.

User Info: rpgian

rpgian
4 months ago#86
I can make do with medium or low just fine for a long time. I upgrade my parts to the best-price point the market has when the part actually fails. I don't get a new car every few yrs either, I drive it until I find myself welding the rust off my ass to get off the seat.

It's only as expensive a hobby as you make it to be. The bulk of what I enjoy, wouldn't be taxing the ultra high end anyways. At least half of what I like, would run on a toaster, the rest, is just as fun, and slightly less pretty, but just as configurable/cheatable/modable and everything else I value far > ultra graphics.

User Info: JrTapia1991

JrTapia1991
4 months ago#87
rpgian posted...
I can make do with medium or low just fine for a long time. I upgrade my parts to the best-price point the market has when the part actually fails. I don't get a new car every few yrs either, I drive it until I find myself welding the rust off my ass to get off the seat.

It's only as expensive a hobby as you make it to be. The bulk of what I enjoy, wouldn't be taxing the ultra high end anyways. At least half of what I like, would run on a toaster, the rest, is just as fun, and slightly less pretty, but just as configurable/cheatable/modable and everything else I value far > ultra graphics.

my reply is basically this too...I'm currently on an "old" i7 2600k, 16gb "slow" 1333 ddr3 ram, and an 8gb rx 480 and can play anything pretty well at 1080, no intention on ever going above 1080 either, not everybody in the world is some bleeding edge enthusiast who has to constantly upgrade really expensive stuff every so many months/years. As I've gotten older I found myself gaming less and less honestly, and what games I do play, the rx 480 plays them well at 1080, and older stuff is obviously way less demanding than new titles.

I would have upgraded to ryzen awhile back but couldn't justify the price for expensive speed ddr4 it needs to not be crippled, I'd feel bad if I paired el cheapo 2133 or 2400 ram with ryzen and it would honestly eat at me, then at the time so many mobos weren't supporting certain speeds and it just seemed a mess....for what I do, sandy bridge ipc is still fine....contrary to all the online elitist benchmarks I've seen over the years, I don't need 9999 fps in starcraft 2 at 800x600 lol. I mostly play less demanding casual stuff co op with friends too, even my "old" pc is way better than many friends' pc's over the years I've played with. My desktop is mostly a media consumption machine these days with occasional gaming thrown in....thinking back on it, ryzen ipc isn't much better than my old sandy bridge tbh, I think ryzen is on haswell level. Years ago I was more of an enthusiast, even got an expensive 240gb ssd years ago, but as the years went on I started to care less and less....I still somewhat keep up with pc/tech news but not nearly as much as I did a couple of years ago, I pretty much only get games really cheap on steam sales too so I haven't had to worry about if the newest title out wouldn't run maxed out at 60+fps on my rig, or as stated earlier older or non demanding casual stuff is mostly played by me/friends

out of curiosity I looked up a gt 1030 vid and you'd be surprised how well that thing on 1080p can play esports and casual stuff, somebody could take an ebay used old i3/i5 pc, throw that low profile thing in, and still probably be better off than the consoles.... tl;dr it doesn't take as much to pc game as the elitists make it out to
i5 3570k|Z77 Asrock Extreme4m|MSI GTX 660 2gb SC|16gb ram 1600mhz|840 250gb SSD|1tb/2tb 7200 HDDs|Corsair HX750w|Asus 1080p 2ms|G400|CM Elite 430

User Info: gwizzler

gwizzler
4 months ago#88
If there's a deal, I buy. It's that simple. I waited until December of 2016 to upgrade my 780 Ti to a 1070 because the price was finally right. As for games new games requiring top hardware, Dark hit the nail right on the head. What are you getting that $1k+ GPU for, another s***ty Assassin's Creed, CoD or Far Cry? To look at the pretty visuals of the depressing Battlefront games? There are so few AAA games worth their asking price, let alone the consideration of a GPU upgrade.
"If the animals can find the strength, why can't we?" - Casey Foster

User Info: MasterFeeler

MasterFeeler
4 months ago#89
Still on my s***ty R9 270. HUHUHU! f*** U BITCOIN.

Waiting for next year to buy the Navi chips of AMD.
i5-3570k, 8gb, R9 270
i5-5200u, 8gb, 940m
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So can most of you afford to continue being PC gamers?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived