This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are you thoughts on Gsync/Freesync?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What are you thoughts on Gsync/Freesync?

User Info: Tony_Biggie_Pun

Tony_Biggie_Pun
3 months ago#41
Yeah its not just the screen tearing. The Gsync makes games feel butter smooth. No jitter or frame pacing issues whatsoever and no input lag

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
3 months ago#42
It's a gimmick

Source: I have a FreeSync monitor
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: Elephant Rider

Elephant Rider
3 months ago#43
therickmu25 posted...
I just got my G-Sync Monitor today and it's incredible. 27" 1440p 144hz for $460 on Amazon.
It took me like 5 minutes to calibrate it using some setting I found on a forum, but it has removed screen tearing in my games and everything just looks so crisp and smooth.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0149QBOF0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would you mind sharing that calibration? I have the same monitor. I changed a few things in the NVIDIA control panel, but maybe you found something better.
little grey men are coming our way
tastes just like chicken they say

User Info: Rraawwrr

Rraawwrr
3 months ago#44
Currently using GSync monitor, used to have a FreeSync one a year ago. The biggest change is not the lack of screen tearing, but the removal of stuttering. Problem with FreeSync is its implementation. Most of the monitors have terrible VRR range that you can't utilize it to the fullest. Well, can't complain if it doesn't add a price premium.

User Info: Garquill

Garquill
3 months ago#45
halomonkey1_3_5 posted...
Terantatek posted...
G-sync all the way. Freesync isn't as good in performance.

G-Sync is technically better but in practice they're the same. The only issue I ever had was Freesync in borderless windowed mode just plain didnt work sometimes for no logical reason. That's not the norm according to the internet but I never could get it to consistently work on either of my AMD GPUs(290, 480) or Freesync monitors(Nixeus Vue 24", Acer XG270HU). But on the rare occasion it did work, it was absolutely as good as my current G-sync monitor(ignoring the differences in image quality between the various monitors that wasnt related to the sync tech). Of course this was on monitors with wide freesync ranges(40-144Hz for both IIRC) too, and I've heard that narrower Freesync ranges tend to be worse but I havent had any experience with that.

And FWIW G-Sync isnt flawless for borderless windowed either, but it actually works consistently so I cant complain too much.

Unless you're using a classic windows theme in Windows 7, all borderless window gaming is done with vsync on because windows is vsynced by default

you need Fullscreen Mode to actually use gsync without vsync
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 months ago#46
Basic as well.
Also, I believe you can actually disable vsync with Aero.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: GamerQ_1986

GamerQ_1986
3 months ago#47
Gsync is my crack. I cant have a monitor without it now.

Wow i need to update my PC specs
Intel I7 7700k 4.8ghz 16gb RAM DDR4 3000mhz ,GTX 1080 ti, gigabyte z270 MOBO, Corsair 540. Gaming at 1440p 144hz is just amazing!!! PC MASTER RACE!

User Info: Ratchetrockon

Ratchetrockon
3 months ago#48
Tony_Biggie_Pun posted...
Ratchetrockon posted...
Overrated.

I play a lot of SLI supported games so I usually leave it off because g-sync seems to f*** with the SLI scaling for me. Whenever I go single card and put g-sync on I don't notice a difference.

SLI is overrated not Gsync

nah.

SLI may only work on like 1 out of 6 games but at least its pretty damn noticeable compared to g-sync which is not when you have a 144 hz monitor and regularly hit over the 100s.
i7 6900k | 2x GTX 1080ti FE SLI |MSI x99 Gaming PRO | 2 TB 850 EVO + 1tb 960 PRO EVO| DDR4 32 gig 3200 RAM | EVGA P2 1200W
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/21395525

User Info: wentzelot

wentzelot
3 months ago#49
i have a normal 75 hz monitor and never notice any screen tearing etc so i don't see a point in getting a freesync/g sync monitor

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
3 months ago#50
at 21:9/3440x1440, between vega 64 underperforming (and being overpriced due to scalpers) and the freesync range on monitors of that aspect ratio/resolution generally being your choice of 45-60 or 80-100 gsync was the choice for me, despite the monitor costing nearly twice as much as a freesync one of the same resolution. While the price was a lot higher, gsync just has a way better range than any freesync monitors I could find, 30-100 vs 80-100. Freesync is probably better supported than that in more mainstream resolutions but for me I couldn't find what I wanted.

as far as gsync itself goes, I love it. I can't stand screen tearing and frame drops bother me as well when I can't maintain 60+, I won't say I don't notice drops now since I definitely still can, but it's just that I notice it. It's not nearly as jarring as the drops to 30 with standard vsync and doesn't bother me nearly as much.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What are you thoughts on Gsync/Freesync?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived