This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are you thoughts on Gsync/Freesync?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What are you thoughts on Gsync/Freesync?

User Info: triple s

triple s
6 months ago#21
Overpriced. Granted, I had one that was 60hz/4k so it might be better at higher framerates but it barely did anything for me. My graphics card can do 60fps and 4K on most games with my 4k monitor and it can keep 144fps on most games on my 2560x1080 monitor. I'd rather just get the same quality monitor outside of Gsync for a couple hundred less.
GT:Triple S 06 PSN: TripleS24
Steam ID:triples22

User Info: Terantatek

Terantatek
6 months ago#22
G-sync all the way. Freesync isn't as good in performance.

And when talking about what's best, I don't consider price an issue. Just like I don't call a fast food burger "the best burger because price/taste ratio". I call a burger from my favorite restaurant the best burger even though it costs $6.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Xgsy6X
i7 7700k @ 4.6ghz | Asus ROG Strix 1080TI OC | Ripjaws 16GB 3000mhz | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Swift PG278QR

User Info: Tony_Biggie_Pun

Tony_Biggie_Pun
6 months ago#23
Terantatek posted...

Have you tried both firsthand?

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
6 months ago#24
weaselcannon posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
weaselcannon posted...
SD2417DG

Waiting on it to arrive. For the price it's going for, that monitor is a steal. Getting anything in that range seems to be either unwarranted freesync korean imports on Ebay, nasty VA panels, or a $100 premium for a worse warranty, uncalibrated TN.

Needs some love in the calibrations but once it's there, it's a solid panel. I've had no issues whatsoever.

I've heard it's quite good out of the box, and just needs a small tweak to contrast. Guess I'll find out.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: halomonkey1_3_5

halomonkey1_3_5
6 months ago#25
Terantatek posted...

G-Sync is technically better but in practice they're the same. The only issue I ever had was Freesync in borderless windowed mode just plain didnt work sometimes for no logical reason. That's not the norm according to the internet but I never could get it to consistently work on either of my AMD GPUs(290, 480) or Freesync monitors(Nixeus Vue 24", Acer XG270HU). But on the rare occasion it did work, it was absolutely as good as my current G-sync monitor(ignoring the differences in image quality between the various monitors that wasnt related to the sync tech). Of course this was on monitors with wide freesync ranges(40-144Hz for both IIRC) too, and I've heard that narrower Freesync ranges tend to be worse but I havent had any experience with that.

And FWIW G-Sync isnt flawless for borderless windowed either, but it actually works consistently so I cant complain too much.
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
6 months ago#26
Once you go G-SYNC, you won't go back ;)
Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI B350 Tomahawk | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11G | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-Sync
Nintendo Switch

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
6 months ago#27
halomonkey1_3_5 posted...
Terantatek posted...

G-Sync is technically better but in practice they're the same. The only issue I ever had was Freesync in borderless windowed mode just plain didnt work sometimes for no logical reason. That's not the norm according to the internet but I never could get it to consistently work on either of my AMD GPUs(290, 480) or Freesync monitors(Nixeus Vue 24", Acer XG270HU). But on the rare occasion it did work, it was absolutely as good as my current G-sync monitor(ignoring the differences in image quality between the various monitors that wasnt related to the sync tech). Of course this was on monitors with wide freesync ranges(40-144Hz for both IIRC) too, and I've heard that narrower Freesync ranges tend to be worse but I havent had any experience with that.

And FWIW G-Sync isnt flawless for borderless windowed either, but it actually works consistently so I cant complain too much.

Afaik, when they're actually working as-intended, Freesync and Gsync trade blows in terms of which provides a better experience, and which is best in a given situation is crazy inconsistent and largely negligible.
Everything between them can be written off as differences in the driver rather than the actual technology.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: triple s

triple s
6 months ago#28
BrokenMachine85 posted...

I didn't quite easily, lol.
GT:Triple S 06 PSN: TripleS24
Steam ID:triples22

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
6 months ago#29
triple s posted...
BrokenMachine85 posted...

I didn't quite easily, lol.

So much edge.
Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI B350 Tomahawk | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11G | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-Sync
Nintendo Switch

User Info: weaselcannon

weaselcannon
6 months ago#30
DarkZV2Beta posted...
weaselcannon posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
weaselcannon posted...
SD2417DG

Waiting on it to arrive. For the price it's going for, that monitor is a steal. Getting anything in that range seems to be either unwarranted freesync korean imports on Ebay, nasty VA panels, or a $100 premium for a worse warranty, uncalibrated TN.

Needs some love in the calibrations but once it's there, it's a solid panel. I've had no issues whatsoever.

I've heard it's quite good out of the box, and just needs a small tweak to contrast. Guess I'll find out.

Mine was set for shop floor viewing and was blinding as all hell. That's probably why I had to play with it so much but I'm really impressed with it now.
i5 7600k, GTX 1070, 16Gb DDR4-3200, 256Gb SSD, 4TB HDD, W10 Pro, VG248E 144Hz, SD2417DG 165Hz
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What are you thoughts on Gsync/Freesync?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived