This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are you thoughts on Gsync/Freesync?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What are you thoughts on Gsync/Freesync?

User Info: k debonair

k debonair
4 months ago#11
I never understood the whole need for syncing an image on an LCD screen. Can anybody explain it?
a tube screen has to raster each frame at a given time, but an lcd doesn't do that.

Couldn't today's screens simply hold a static image, without having to sync to some arbitrary refresh rate? Obviously the screen will have a maximum refresh rate from the limitations of the hardware, but below that, it should redraw the screen only when a new frame is provided, rather than every tick of the clock.

It seems to me like refresh rate is a carry over from the past, when a "variable" rate should have been the norm for new technology.
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.

User Info: lubmelubyou

lubmelubyou
4 months ago#12
k debonair posted...
I never understood the whole need for syncing an image on an LCD screen. Can anybody explain it?
a tube screen has to raster each frame at a given time, but an lcd doesn't do that.

Couldn't today's screens simply hold a static image, without having to sync to some arbitrary refresh rate? Obviously the screen will have a maximum refresh rate from the limitations of the hardware, but below that, it should redraw the screen only when a new frame is provided, rather than every tick of the clock.

It seems to me like refresh rate is a carry over from the past, when a "variable" rate should have been the norm for new technology.

G-Sync is pretty much as you describe, it varies the refresh rate to match the output FPS.
My Channel for full playthroughs and other things gaming:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgb5tra_kTAbVU_Mb4XeuxQ

User Info: Jonbazookaboz

Jonbazookaboz
4 months ago#13
Gsync has been a game changer for me. Literally best thing since sliced bread
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"

User Info: loader963

loader963
4 months ago#14
Jonbazookaboz posted...

Yep. I hate tearing with a passion and if vrr helps to curb those rare instances, then I’m down for it.
I can be patient, but I'm not waiting!

User Info: Tony_Biggie_Pun

Tony_Biggie_Pun
4 months ago#15
Its wonderful. I miss my Gsync monitor. Using a Freesync now, but I have an Nvidia GPU so I can't take advantage. It sucks that GSync is so much more expensive. Adaptive sync is wonderful though if you're able to utilize it. It really does make a big difference

User Info: Elephant Rider

Elephant Rider
4 months ago#16
Gsync is awesome. Best upgrade I've done in while.
little grey men are coming our way
tastes just like chicken they say

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#17
Its soooooooo goooood! Waited till a deal was going on, got a 1440p 144hz 24 inch (there was a 27 inch later at the same price, dammit!) Gsync for $350.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#18
loader963 posted...
Jonbazookaboz posted...

Yep. I hate tearing with a passion and if vrr helps to curb those rare instances, then I’m down for it.

I can't stand tearing, not even a little bit.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: Tony_Biggie_Pun

Tony_Biggie_Pun
4 months ago#19
captsplatter_1 posted...
Its soooooooo goooood! Waited till a deal was going on, got a 1440p 144hz 24 inch (there was a 27 inch later at the same price, dammit!) Gsync for $350.

Wow what was the monitor? I just bought a 27 inch 1440p 144hz Free sync for 399. It's an ips screen though

User Info: halomonkey1_3_5

halomonkey1_3_5
4 months ago#20
tbh I use ULMB mode more than G-Sync on my Dell S2716DGR

captsplatter_1 posted...

I paid like $450 at Best Buy for mine and like 2-3 weeks later it was on sale on Dell's website for $350 :(
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What are you thoughts on Gsync/Freesync?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived