This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about cpu and programming

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Question about cpu and programming

User Info: Loui5planks

Loui5planks
1 month ago#1
I've preordered a Eve V (https://eve-tech.com/products/eve-v#redir) with an i7-7Y75. I remember someone telling me an i5 or above is recommended for writing code ( C++, R Studio, Python, etc.)

After waiting for some time for the thing to arrive (lol in March) I decided to do more research since the thing is interesting to me. Anyways, what I found out was that an i7-Y is pretty different from a i7-U.

Processor Single core Dual core
Core m3-7Y30 . 3,069 . 5,810
Core i5-7Y54 3,729 6,810
Core i7-7Y75 3,652 7,058
Core i3-7100U 3,196 6,201
Core i5-7200U 3,804 7,508
Core i7-7500U 4,394 8,216

(https://www.windowscentral.com/intel-y-series-vs-u-series-cpus)

My question is, should I be worried my about my cpu throttling performance? The laptop seems good in all other regards. I just don't wanna have it and then regret not spending ~$300 more for a Surface Pro 2017 because I didn't do my research.

Edit: Just found out I could get a Surface Pro 2017 at a 10% discount but the cpu would be the U variant. What do I do ...? Objectively, the V is the better one (brighter screen, longer battery life, cheaper) but the Pro 2017 has things going for it too (cpu, I could get it in a matter of days not months lol).
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 | Core i7-6700k | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080 FE | NZXT. S340 Razer Edition
(message deleted)

Loui5planks
1 month ago#3
Sorry about the chart, gfaqs formatting lul
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 | Core i7-6700k | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080 FE | NZXT. S340 Razer Edition

User Info: betatech

betatech
1 month ago#4
What exactly do you plan on coding and what with?

The reason to get a more powerful system is if the software really demands.
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080ti, CM 690 II. Win 10/Win8.1 x64.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
1 month ago#5
Loui5planks posted...
My question is, should I be worried my about my cpu throttling performance?

What are you going to be programming? If you're just writing code (and compiling or whatever), then your CPU hardly matters - it depends on wherever you'd be deploying those applications. If you're going to be writing code and deploying it on your machine, then what tasks are you going to be doing? If it's going to be heavy on CPU then a better CPU would be more desirable (duh), if it's not something that's going to rely heavily on CPU then it doesn't matter as much.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

Loui5planks
1 month ago#6
vlado_e posted...
Loui5planks posted...
My question is, should I be worried my about my cpu throttling performance?

What are you going to be programming? If you're just writing code (and compiling or whatever), then your CPU hardly matters - it depends on wherever you'd be deploying those applications. If you're going to be writing code and deploying it on your machine, then what tasks are you going to be doing? If it's going to be heavy on CPU then a better CPU would be more desirable (duh), if it's not something that's going to rely heavily on CPU then it doesn't matter as much.

Let me put it this way, last week I learned to write Hello World! and I barely remember how. Thanks for the question, it's given me more perspective. I might have to consider for how long I use the laptop I choose to purchase.

I did some snooping on the Eve V forums and saw some user's saying it ran VS "very well". As for what they used VS for, I do not know.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
1 month ago#7
Loui5planks posted...
Let me put it this way, last week I learned to write Hello World!

OK, then the CPU would hardly matter.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

Loui5planks
1 month ago#8
vlado_e posted...
Loui5planks posted...
Let me put it this way, last week I learned to write Hello World!

OK, then the CPU would hardly matter.

Yes, I realise the pettiness of my question but I'm a perfectionist that is ok without being the best all the time lol. Thanks for the responses.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Question about cpu and programming

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived