This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The next steps

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. The next steps

User Info: Sephiroth311

Sephiroth311
3 months ago#1
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/JbC2gL

This was my system a couple of weeks ago, I've since added an EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 GAMING iCX Video Card which, despite some setbacks outlined in my last topic, is running great. It's now hooked up to an LG OLED55C7 4k TV via 2.0 HDMI running at 3840 x 2160 60Hz, Highest 32bit, 10bpc, YCbCr422 and limited with HDR Game Mode enabled on the TV.
I've spent a few solid days playing Fallout 4 on Ultra settings with no issues whatsoever. I've added two 120mm fans to the top of the case as the GPU fans were going into overdrive after 20 minutes of playing, the fans have now stopped this but the whole top of the case is still getting very warm. It seems the case I'm using isn't great for airflow so I'm looking to change it soon.

A lot of people in my last topic commented that my PSU is no where near good enough to run the 1080ti however as I said above I haven't had any issues so far. I did try to upgrade to an EVGA 750w G2 but it wouldn't fit in the case as the GPU is too long (for those unfamiliar with the BitFenix Phenom it has an inverted motherboard and the PSU goes at the bottom with all the cables going vertically).

I'm also down to my last 100MB of space on the HDD, I was planning to get a Samsung 1TB SDD ASAP but they are still quite pricey here in the UK so I may have to settle for another 1TB Seagate for now but thats obviously going to put further strain on the PSU.

So what would be the best corse of action going forward? I'm currently planning to leave things as they are for a few weeks as the 1080ti and the TV have almost cleared me out.

If airflow and strain on the fans is going to continue to be a problem I'd like to go for this case:

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r6-black-tg

I've watched numerous youtube videos recommending it and I like the look of it.

I can dump everything into the new case and upgrade the PSU then if it really is a concern? If so is the G2 the best one to stick with?

Finally I'm guessing I'll soon need to upgrade my CPU and RAM? Sadly again I'm restricted at the moment as my motherboard isn't compatible with new components (according to pcpartpicker). I'd like to get to a stage where I can restore my current PC to its original state and use it as a dogsbody PC for music, videos, photos, downloading and playing keyboard and mouse games and then build an entirely new one around the 1080ti using the above case and a 1TB SSD.

Any recommendations on what CPU, RAM and Motherboards I should be looking into this year?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

User Info: Terantatek

Terantatek
3 months ago#2
16gb Ram 3000-3200mhz
At Least a Gen 7 CPU
Z270 or z370 mobo
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Xgsy6X
i7 7700k @ 4.6ghz | Asus ROG Strix 1080TI OC | Ripjaws 16GB 3000mhz | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Swift PG278QR
(message deleted)

Sephiroth311
3 months ago#4
How does this look? Anything with £0 I already have

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/sZBWnn

I can keep that until its time to get the new CPU, RAM and MB then I can just throw the old stuff back into the old case and then I'll be left with a 4k gaming PC and a good media PC

Sephiroth311
3 months ago#5
BUMP

Sephiroth311
3 months ago#6
Good plan? I’m aiming for an i7 8700 after that (don’t think I’ll need the k as I won’t be overclocking)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. The next steps

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived