This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Playstation VR sold over 2 million units, market leader for VR- how many for PC?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Playstation VR sold over 2 million units, market leader for VR- how many for PC?

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
5 months ago#91
arleas posted...
Bleu_Skie posted...
I think it would be more accurate to compare the headset I mentioned to a later atari or gen 2 tbh

I was basing the comparison off the respective levels of technology. Also, the difference between the "Video game crash" and the release of the NES was only like 2 years. 1983 was the crash, the NES came out in 1985... it's not that big of a gap.

I know. My hypothetical was NES never happened and the crash lasted until now.... by now I mean the release of the recent stuff.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
5 months ago#92
arleas posted...
(someone else would probably show up to argue and even earlier point as well since I think there was an earlier steam powered car).

Well, 1881 had the first viable "electric car"... ;)

http://www.sciencephoto.com/media/539713/view

One thing I've learned about technology over the years is that there is not often a distinct "first." You can always trace the development of something back to something similar from earlier. Keeping with the car theme, you can go back from 1881's electric tricycle, to 1867 with an electric bicycle (didn't work well on heavily rutted roads though). And before that, electric carriages/locomotives (trains/trolleys). And before that, steam. And before that, horse-drawn carriages like stagecoaches. And so on, pretty much all the way back to cave men. Technology is little more than slow (sometimes slower than others) advancement, making one or two small changes at a time to existing technology to improve or advance it in some way.

With that, selecting what you'd call a "first generation" could even become harder still, because what criteria do you use? For VR, is it stereoscopic vision? That existed even before electronic computers. Stereoscopic animated vision? 1922 introduced stereoscopic animation. Interactive stereoscopic content? Head tracking without stereoscopic view? Head tracking with stereoscopic view? And so on and so forth.

Even with computers in general... x86 processors? Of course not. Commodore 64? That wasn't even the first personal computer - the MITS Altair 8800 was, back in 1975 or so I believe. And before that, there was ENIAC, which was practically just a glorified electric calculator (k, it did a little more than that)... but much of what it could do could also be done mechanically - in 1822 the Difference Engine was invented, which could perform some pretty complex calculations including polynomials. Before even that was the Jacquard Loom, which was a fully automated, programmable loom, programmed by punch cards (the same tech used as an input/output option for ENIAC, incidentally). Before that, way back in the 1600s, we had a mechanical calculator... and so on and so forth. At what point do we call any of those things a "computer?" What is the true first generation of computer? How far back do we trace the technology before we reach a point that says "OK, this advance was significant enough to call this the first generation of this new classification of thing?"
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: Premium

Premium
5 months ago#93
I guess this is one of those things where it's easy to move the goal posts.
How do you ejaculate from plane? I try to press the buttons but I do not find it. Sorry for my bad english - Bean0

Bleu_Skie
5 months ago#94
@KillerTruffle I think form and function is a good way to look at it. Like, when the form radically changes, I'd say that is a start of something new. With computers, the form change would be inside and out and a bit harder to determine, but for products like cars and the like should be easier. The form and function hasn't radically changed for VR, just improved infinitely in the tech and details.

This was less about what was actually first and more of saying the current stuff isn't first close to first. I am surprised by all the stuff that I had no idea about. Slightly blows my mind tbh. I guess with the combination of a high price, the fact gaming news was harder to find/niche, and gaming just not being as big then as it is now hurt it.
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
5 months ago#95
Yeh, the market - and existing tech at the time - just wasn't quite ready for VR to really take off in the 90s. I imagine if Nintendo had actually made their attempt with something more like the VFX1 instead of their crappy monochrome (RED no less!) Virtual Boy, it would have been a much bigger hit and possibly taken off back then. The relative quality of the VFX1 with a name like Nintendo behind it would definitely have had more acceptance than that Virtual Boy s***.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: arleas

arleas
5 months ago#96
KillerTruffle posted...
I imagine if Nintendo had actually made their attempt with something more like the VFX1 instead of their crappy monochrome (RED no less!) Virtual Boy, it would have been a much bigger hit and possibly taken off back then. The relative quality of the VFX1 with a name like Nintendo behind it would definitely have had more acceptance than that Virtual Boy s***.

PC gaming wasn't as big in the 90s as it is now, and combine that with an unknown company making the hardware and it's easy to see why it didn't change the world. I'm surprised they didn't hype it more but I had never heard of it. But yeah, if a big name got behind it back then it would have been bigger...Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony... Sega even.

Like I said earlier, someone has probably already built a flying car... so when we actually get flying cars 50 years from now, do we argue that the real first gen flying car was back in the 2000's?

https://www.terrafugia.com/about-terrafugia/
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
https://i.imgur.com/Po5TbWg.jpg

User Info: darktheron

darktheron
5 months ago#97
KillerTruffle posted...
DarthBuzzer posted...
You realize he was referring to me right, the one counteracting your point?

Huh? He quoted tzuyd, and said straight to him "NO ONE is agreeing with you." However, just 5 posts earlier, I literally agreed with tzuyd. How was he referring to you there? Yeah, if he was, I didn't realize it - totally looked from the post and context and the fact he's been arguing with tzuyd that he was, in fact, referring to tzuyd. If I was wrong, my bad.

Although if you're also agreeing with tzuyd, as I did, then wouldn't that by extension mean you and I agree too? >_>

Basically, the gist of my post you quoted was meant to be:

darktheron: "No one agrees with you."

Me: already agreed with him.

Me: blank stare like darktheron is totally clueless.

EDIT: I didn't even see you, or any mention of you, in darktheron's post that I quoted... how was he talking about you?

Sorry but nope Darthbuzzer has been trolling and flaming the Xbox one board about false sales numbers on VR.

That’s the issue and the same with tzuyd. He had his post removed from a moderator for trolling the Xbox one board.

Again no one is agreeing with the VR on that board and when I come here see two trolls falsifying information I’m going to call out on that s***.
"I was purged FOUR times since last August so I decided to ramp up the troll posts now." - Laylow12(Hornedlion)

Bleu_Skie
5 months ago#98
I don't think any name would have made VR viable back then. Just too soon.

And if flying cars after that use the same form and function that works, then yes. That is how inventions generally work.

User Info: DarthBuzzer

DarthBuzzer
5 months ago#99
darktheron posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
DarthBuzzer posted...

Huh? He quoted tzuyd, and said straight to him "NO ONE is agreeing with you." However, just 5 posts earlier, I literally agreed with tzuyd. How was he referring to you there? Yeah, if he was, I didn't realize it - totally looked from the post and context and the fact he's been arguing with tzuyd that he was, in fact, referring to tzuyd. If I was wrong, my bad.

Although if you're also agreeing with tzuyd, as I did, then wouldn't that by extension mean you and I agree too? >_>

EDIT: I didn't even see you, or any mention of you, in darktheron's post that I quoted... how was he talking about you?

Sorry but nope Darthbuzzer has been trolling and flaming the Xbox one board about false sales numbers on VR.

That’s the issue and the same with tzuyd. He had his post removed from a moderator for trolling the Xbox one board.

Again no one is agreeing with the VR on that board and when I come here see two trolls falsifying information I’m going to call out on that s***.

Falsifying information, huh. With all the links I give to prove my points. Everything I provide is factual.

You on the other hand have yet to provide anything to support your views, instead you make up numbers and reports that don't exist.

User Info: darktheron

darktheron
5 months ago#100
DarthBuzzer posted...
darktheron posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
DarthBuzzer posted...

Falsifying information, huh. With all the links I give to prove my points. Everything I provide is factual.

You on the other hand have yet to provide anything to support your views, instead you make up numbers and reports that don't exist.

You mean this that you are on?

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/76192024?page=7

Yeah.. which is why some of the posts were moderated for lying and taken off?

And than you claiming “first consumer gen” when it’s not a d I provided proof that VR has been around for decades?

The only thing that changed in the last 5 years is that VR made its way to a console for the first time in decades and that better frame rate and resolution and more developer game support.. other than that there have been shooting games from 2007 that have used VR style headsets on the PC...

So stop lying.
"I was purged FOUR times since last August so I decided to ramp up the troll posts now." - Laylow12(Hornedlion)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Playstation VR sold over 2 million units, market leader for VR- how many for PC?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived