This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Playstation VR sold over 2 million units, market leader for VR- how many for PC?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Playstation VR sold over 2 million units, market leader for VR- how many for PC?

User Info: DarthBuzzer

DarthBuzzer
5 months ago#81
arleas posted...
It would be nice if everyone could just ignore Dark since he's only here to derail the thread so every time you respond to it he's winning (in the same way Charlie Sheen and his STD's could be considered winning).

As for whether or not a single product means anything... I think in this case it doesn't because like I said, I had never heard of it, and you'd think actual VR in 1995 would have been super huge news only a couple of years after "The Lawnmower Man" came out.

It kinda reminds me of how there was this HMD technology that actually put a TV screen into a pair of glasses... like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-c9S3cdAe0

"Oddware" because it's old and forgotten...

I can't stand misinformation, so if I see it, I find myself having to correct it incase someone takes it as factual.

User Info: DarthBuzzer

DarthBuzzer
5 months ago#82
Bleu_Skie posted...
arleas posted...
Bleu_Skie posted...
It is not an opinion. Stop treating it as such.

You wanted to prove that someone made a VR headset before the current generation, and sure, you did that. It doesn't mean much since it was never big enough to get games made for it. It's a curiosity, and not much more.

You argued the current stuff was first. That is wrong. That is my only point. Look at the history of video game consoles and you could make similar cases. They would also be wrong.

EDIT: to be fair, I didn't know about any of this until a moment ago either. Still, not knowing isn't a debatable point.

It was the first consumer VR headset, but the existence of a hardware generation was simply not there at the time. A hardware generation requires competition, with companies pushing forward to improve the tech for consumers.

That's why we can call Oculus Rift / HTC Vive / PSVR / Windows MR and such consumer generation 1 devices.

I wouldn't say this is particularly important anyway. The past is the past at the end of the day and holds little relevance for current VR. People sometimes bring up how VR failed in the past, and history repeats itself. Well if that's the case, failure is surely permanent. I fail a test, I fail every test thereafter. That's the kind of logic those comments abide by.

User Info: lazycomplife

lazycomplife
5 months ago#83
Star Trek Bridge Crew is my personal favorite game in VR and I played with many people who had PS VR

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
5 months ago#84
I wasn't aware of all those other VR headset attempts either, and it kind of does look like it has enough candidates to go ahead and concede that they were the "first generation." However, there are a couple issues with that that don't necessarily track with the similar concept involving consoles.

The biggest one I see - which could support calling that generation a "prototype generation" or something - is that there was a massive gap between the generation including the VFX1 et al, and the current generation.

Even that, though, with consoles, generation 1 was not widely used or accepted, and generation 2 - with the Atari 2600 and other consoles from that time, was the longest-running. It lasted a good 15 years or so with few to no new entrants, up until the third gen that brought in the Famicom/NES. And it was really the Famicom/NES that blew the doors open on home game consoles to the point they became mainstream. And that is where, as you sort of implied, many people get the idea to call that generation "first generation." It's the point at which home consoles became widely adopted and easily commercially available.

I suppose with that, you could say that VFX1 and the others were first gen, and say that "lasted" 20 years or so until the Vive/Rift kicked off the second gen, and there appears to be good argument for that. However, from the perspective of familiarity and widespread adoption, you can still view the current gen as "first generation," much the way some people call NES "first gen" for consoles.

I suppose it boils down to whether you're looking at the literal technological availability, vs. actual commercial viability and adoption. It's certainly not wrong to call these first attempts - however obscure they may have been - as "first gen." However, I'm not convinced I'd go as far as to say that it's "wrong" to call the current gen "first gen," since they're really what's getting the tech off the ground. And hell, if it gets to where VR is totally commonplace, and as widely adopted as the NES was, it probably won't be this generation - it'll probably something much better, and at that point, *that* could potentially be considered first gen along that line of thinking, with the Vive and Rift being relegated to the "true" generation 2, similar to Atari - getting a solid foot in the door, but not necessarily widespread enough for mass adoption.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
5 months ago#85
KillerTruffle posted...
I wasn't aware of all those other VR headset attempts either, and it kind of does look like it has enough candidates to go ahead and concede that they were the "first generation." However, there are a couple issues with that that don't necessarily track with the similar concept involving consoles.

The biggest one I see - which could support calling that generation a "prototype generation" or something - is that there was a massive gap between the generation including the VFX1 et al, and the current generation.

Even that, though, with consoles, generation 1 was not widely used or accepted, and generation 2 - with the Atari 2600 and other consoles from that time, was the longest-running. It lasted a good 15 years or so with few to no new entrants, up until the third gen that brought in the Famicom/NES. And it was really the Famicom/NES that blew the doors open on home game consoles to the point they became mainstream. And that is where, as you sort of implied, many people get the idea to call that generation "first generation." It's the point at which home consoles became widely adopted and easily commercially available.

I suppose with that, you could say that VFX1 and the others were first gen, and say that "lasted" 20 years or so until the Vive/Rift kicked off the second gen, and there appears to be good argument for that. However, from the perspective of familiarity and widespread adoption, you can still view the current gen as "first generation," much the way some people call NES "first gen" for consoles.

I suppose it boils down to whether you're looking at the literal technological availability, vs. actual commercial viability and adoption. It's certainly not wrong to call these first attempts - however obscure they may have been - as "first gen." However, I'm not convinced I'd go as far as to say that it's "wrong" to call the current gen "first gen," since they're really what's getting the tech off the ground. And hell, if it gets to where VR is totally commonplace, and as widely adopted as the NES was, it probably won't be this generation - it'll probably something much better, and at that point, *that* could potentially be considered first gen along that line of thinking, with the Vive and Rift being relegated to the "true" generation 2, similar to Atari - getting a solid foot in the door, but not necessarily widespread enough for mass adoption.

Interesting take on it. Imagine if consoles died off after the gaming crash and 10+ years later started up again with new popularity. That is how I'm looking at VR atm. I'm not sure if I want to keep looking into it or not tbh, but I would also correct someone saying the NES was the first console... or the 360/ps3 was the first gen of online play (which I saw earlier today in a thread). When talking about history, it is important to be as accurate as possible for history's sake imo. I'm sure that stuff was dope as hell back in the day lol.

EDIT: You know I am not trying to be harsh with what I say. Reading it back it might be seen as such. You know I love you guys. I promise there is no hard feeling behind my debates :P
https://i.imgur.com/hhOeybY.gif
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

User Info: youngfossil

youngfossil
5 months ago#86
PS2 and Dreamcast and gamecube was the first gen of online game

Dont you downplay SOCOM
While I may not agree with your opinion, I will defend to the death your right to have it.

Bleu_Skie
5 months ago#87
Hahaha phantasy star online was good times... not so much for socom :P
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

User Info: arleas

arleas
5 months ago#88
It's like if you talked about the first car, most people would probably think of the Model T, but then some trivia buff would show up to mention that in 1886 was the Benz Patent Motorwagen.... that's cool and all, but how many people had them? Did they try to make roads especially for these cars? etc etc etc.

(someone else would probably show up to argue and even earlier point as well since I think there was an earlier steam powered car).

Bleu_Skie posted...
Imagine if consoles died off after the gaming crash and 10+ years later started up again with new popularity. That is how I'm looking at VR atm.

If we're talking about Consoles dying off with PONG and then coming back 10+ years later with the NES, that'd be about like what you're saying. Oh and then everyone saying "NES? Pfft, I remember pong and that s*** is boring and overrated".
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
https://i.imgur.com/Po5TbWg.jpg

Bleu_Skie
5 months ago#89
Well, to be fair, I have no clue what the first was. I didn't go that deep into researching it. The one I mentioned was the one of the first 4 I saw and picked at random. It would basically be closer to the model T in that scenario.

If someone said pong is boring and overrated, that would be perfectly fine. Opinion and all that. If someone said it didn't count because reasons, then that is a bit different to me.

I see your point tho. You are equating the NES to current VR and the older stuff to pong and the Odyssey. I think it would be more accurate to compare the headset I mentioned to a later atari or gen 2 tbh, but I see your point. NES was the second big boom of gaming and this current stuff could be in the same direction. Just nowhere close to being first is all. Now we know lol.

User Info: arleas

arleas
5 months ago#90
Bleu_Skie posted...
I think it would be more accurate to compare the headset I mentioned to a later atari or gen 2 tbh

I was basing the comparison off the respective levels of technology. Also, the difference between the "Video game crash" and the release of the NES was only like 2 years. 1983 was the crash, the NES came out in 1985... it's not that big of a gap.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
https://i.imgur.com/Po5TbWg.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Playstation VR sold over 2 million units, market leader for VR- how many for PC?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived