This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Playstation VR sold over 2 million units, market leader for VR- how many for PC?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Playstation VR sold over 2 million units, market leader for VR- how many for PC?

User Info: ArcadeGuy

ArcadeGuy
4 months ago#31
Fenriswolf posted...
LMAO, 2 million sales out of 70 million PS4s is pathetic. PSVR is the Kinect/Move of the current gen.

The VR headset released a year ago at $500.

User Info: DarthBuzzer

DarthBuzzer
4 months ago#32
Fenriswolf posted...
LMAO, 2 million sales out of 70 million PS4s is pathetic. PSVR is the Kinect/Move of the current gen.

I imagine you thought the same thing about PCs, Smartphones, Tablets, Consoles and every other form of new tech that came into existence in your life?

2 million sales for a 1st gen device means VR is doing just as good and in many cases better than even the best selling early smartphones.

User Info: darktheron

darktheron
4 months ago#33
DarthBuzzer posted...
Fenriswolf posted...

I imagine you thought the same thing about PCs, Smartphones, Tablets, Consoles and every other form of new tech that came into existence in your life?

2 million sales for a 1st gen device means VR is doing just as good and in many cases better than even the best selling early smartphones.

@DarthBuzzer Kinect 1.0 sold over 12 million in one year and a life time total of over 25 million on the 360 alone (not sure about PC).

So what’s your point?
"I was purged FOUR times since last August so I decided to ramp up the troll posts now." - Laylow12(Hornedlion)

User Info: spike_spiegel

spike_spiegel
4 months ago#34
My only issue with consoles ever trying stuff like VR (They did this with motion controls too) is that the tech is discarded the moment a new console comes out because of how consoles are designed. With a PC VR headset I feel more secure in my purchase because the damn thing won't quit working in 2 years.

User Info: lubmelubyou

lubmelubyou
4 months ago#35
I can't wait for the valve knuckles controllers to be released I think they are going to be a game changer.
My Channel for full playthroughs and other things gaming:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgb5tra_kTAbVU_Mb4XeuxQ

User Info: jimm120

jimm120
4 months ago#36
Somato posted...
It's VR, who cares

ArcadeGuy posted...
BaldursGate posted...
What are people even buying PS VR for? There's no good exclusives made for it.

Resident Evil 7
Doom VR
Skyrim VR
Gran Turismo Sport

Of all those games you listed, 1 is exclusive....

I'm no playstation fanboy, but if they already have the PS4, then getting the VR on that console will be better for them than getting it for PC, in which they might not have a strong enough pc
Perhaps a one sided CTF in Overwatch? 1 team captures the "flag" X times. Then flip roles
5820k @3.3hgz // 16gb ddr4 3000 // Radeon 390x 8gb DEVIL

User Info: DarthBuzzer

DarthBuzzer
4 months ago#37
darktheron posted...
DarthBuzzer posted...
Fenriswolf posted...

@DarthBuzzer Kinect 1.0 sold over 12 million in one year and a life time total of over 25 million on the 360 alone (not sure about PC).

So what’s your point?

You can't compare the two. Kinect was built on decades of existing motion sensor technology. It's just a motion sensing input device, and there have been many many consumer products like that in the past.

VR is a brand new medium in it's 1st consumer generation. Every form of tech in it's 1st generation takes more than 10 years to have mainstream appeal.

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 months ago#38
spike_spiegel posted...
My only issue with consoles ever trying stuff like VR (They did this with motion controls too) is that the tech is discarded the moment a new console comes out because of how consoles are designed. With a PC VR headset I feel more secure in my purchase because the damn thing won't quit working in 2 years.

The thing with the PSVR is that it's basically just a specialized monitor with head tracking. Someone has made it work even with an XBox I think (though without head tracking).

So worst case scenario with PSVR, someone will hack a way to make it work on PC.

Usually though you're right. Console manufactures are quick to jump on a bandwagon and then they forget about it as soon as the initial hype dies down. In this case I'm sure they're glad they found a way to salvage the PS Move technology from years ago since they no doubt had a ton of that s*** lying around.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
https://i.imgur.com/Po5TbWg.jpg

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 months ago#39
Premium posted...
Is "mixed reality" the AR/hololens stuff?

Microsoft is using the term incorrectly, but probably because they wanted to be searchable and right now if you search "Mixed Reality" their VR headsets pop right up at the top, where if you were to search for VR you'd get Rift, Vive, PS4 VR and THEN maybe Microsoft's stuff.

Really, their "mixed reality" headsets are not remotely mixed in any way shape or form. Maybe they'll work it that way in the future, but at the moment, they've just got two cameras on front to help tracking, and that's it.

I think they had a demo of a 3D VR movie of a kid knocking over some cups and you could sorta "project" that over your floor (not really projecting, just doing the "augmented reality" thing where you put video images over the live video in the background). I don't know if that shipped with the first gen headsets or if that was just something they showed to people who were testing it in the early phases.

At the moment though, Windows MR headsets are using Steam for games and nothing on steam uses a pass through camera.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
https://i.imgur.com/Po5TbWg.jpg

User Info: ArcadeGuy

ArcadeGuy
4 months ago#40
darktheron posted...
DarthBuzzer posted...
Fenriswolf posted...

So what’s your point?

12M forced with the console until MS removed and discontinued this waste of space.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Playstation VR sold over 2 million units, market leader for VR- how many for PC?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived