This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Benchmarks for Meltdown/Spectre Windows patches

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Benchmarks for Meltdown/Spectre Windows patches

User Info: Snuckie7

Snuckie7
1 month ago#1
https://goo.gl/nP1bJQ

Overall, average gaming performance isn't affected too much, but higher frame time variability might introduce some stuttering.

Although, the biggest takeaway from this article is to update to Windows 10 if you're still on Windows 7. You're giving up a large amount of performance by staying on Windows 7 and even more so if you decide to install the Windows 7 version of this patch. Surely that's worth sitting through a few forced updates.
i7 3820 @ 4.5GHz | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | 8GB Samsung DDR3 2133 | PCP&C 600W

User Info: brotrrwinner

brotrrwinner
1 month ago#2
You're gonna have to pry Windows 7 from my cold, dead hands
September 21st, 2008
Never forget

User Info: ArcadeGuy

ArcadeGuy
1 month ago#3
brotrrwinner posted...

One way or another Win 7 will update to Win 10 if you're connect online.

User Info: brotrrwinner

brotrrwinner
1 month ago#4
ArcadeGuy posted...
brotrrwinner posted...

One way or another Win 7 will update to Win 10 if you're connect online.

My copy won't, trust me
September 21st, 2008
Never forget

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
1 month ago#5
Snuckie7 posted...

Overall, average gaming performance isn't affected too much, but higher frame time variability might introduce some stuttering.

Although, the biggest takeaway from this article is to update to Windows 10 if you're still on Windows 7. You're giving up a large amount of performance by staying on Windows 7 and even more so if you decide to install the Windows 7 version of this patch. Surely that's worth sitting through a few forced updates.

The win7 install looks suspect.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
1 month ago#6
brotrrwinner posted...
My copy won't, trust me

Enjoy the gaping security issues that arise when support for 7 is finally ended and you're too stubborn to realize that your system is compromised.
Hell, enjoy the gaping security holes you already have if you don't update your OS.
MOD: Mindless, Oppressive, & Delusional

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#7
It's not worth "sitting through a few forced updates" when they interrupt/lose my work, costing me money, and then break the functionality of my PC preventing me from recouping that loss.
Plain and simple, Windows 10 is not acceptable for a reliable work machine. I count on my PC for my income, and cannot have it down and out on it's own terms whenever Microsoft feels like it.
I'd be more likely to uninstall these updates and offline the entire system than use Windows 10.

Imagine, if you will, that I had a Ryzen based PC when Microsoft pushed that out of band update. In the middle of a big project, and suddenly, my PC restarts. I can't contact my clients to tell them what's going on, my stream just goes dead. Right out the gate, hours of work lost, and hours of delays to my current work. And when it's finally "done"? The system is too unstable to get into Windows because Microsoft does not test their updates for W10. Rolling back takes another hour, and still doesn't work. Client is pissed because I can't meet the deadline and, understandably, refuses to pay for the work that was lost, or the time that was lost thereafter, possibly even for what work I managed to salvage.
Yeah, no, that is not f***ing acceptable. I used Win10 on my SP3, and I've had very similar incidents happen with that prior to fully disabling Windows Update. It cost me work, the updates took ages, and when I got back online, the client was gone and I had to delay everything. Never mind the jank with the broken updates causing stability issues.

I cannot overstate how much of a not-an-option Windows 10 is for any serious professional. If you're just another appleturd looking for the latest gadget and you don't actually do any productive PC work, sure. You can stand to lose some gaming uptime or whatever I guess. That's your deal, go for it. No real harm.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#8
Snuckie7 posted...

Sounds like its even more important than ever to have Gsync/freesync.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
1 month ago#9
captsplatter_1 posted...
Snuckie7 posted...

Sounds like its even more important than ever to have Gsync/freesync.

Actually, stutters like this show up with adaptive sync, sometimes even more than regular vsync, since it's an actual stutter in the frame pacing of the game rather than a desynchronization of the game's frame timing and the display's refresh timing.
With Vsync, some of these stutters may actually be buffered out at the cost of input latency.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: Snuckie7

Snuckie7
1 month ago#10
DarkZV2Beta posted...
It's not worth "sitting through a few forced updates" when they interrupt/lose my work, costing me money, and then break the functionality of my PC preventing me from recouping that loss.
Plain and simple, Windows 10 is not acceptable for a reliable work machine. I count on my PC for my income, and cannot have it down and out on it's own terms whenever Microsoft feels like it.
I'd be more likely to uninstall these updates and offline the entire system than use Windows 10.

Imagine, if you will, that I had a Ryzen based PC when Microsoft pushed that out of band update. In the middle of a big project, and suddenly, my PC restarts. I can't contact my clients to tell them what's going on, my stream just goes dead. Right out the gate, hours of work lost, and hours of delays to my current work. And when it's finally "done"? The system is too unstable to get into Windows because Microsoft does not test their updates for W10. Rolling back takes another hour, and still doesn't work. Client is pissed because I can't meet the deadline and, understandably, refuses to pay for the work that was lost, or the time that was lost thereafter, possibly even for what work I managed to salvage.
Yeah, no, that is not f***ing acceptable. I used Win10 on my SP3, and I've had very similar incidents happen with that prior to fully disabling Windows Update. It cost me work, the updates took ages, and when I got back online, the client was gone and I had to delay everything. Never mind the jank with the broken updates causing stability issues.

I cannot overstate how much of a not-an-option Windows 10 is for any serious professional. If you're just another appleturd looking for the latest gadget and you don't actually do any productive PC work, sure. You can stand to lose some gaming uptime or whatever I guess. That's your deal, go for it. No real harm.

I thought it was rather obvious that this entire discussion was in the context of gaming. Get a dedicated work computer and run whatever OS you want for serious work.
i7 3820 @ 4.5GHz | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | 8GB Samsung DDR3 2133 | PCP&C 600W
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Benchmarks for Meltdown/Spectre Windows patches

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived