This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"this game is too hard" a reasonable example of why you don't like it?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. "this game is too hard" a reasonable example of why you don't like it?

User Info: Shinkoden

Shinkoden
3 months ago#41
Not a huge fan of hard games, though some are OK but I still usually wish they were easier. I just ask for fun, that's pretty much it and if it's frustrating it's not fun.

User Info: Black_Assassin

Black_Assassin
3 months ago#42
There's the kind of hard where you can gradually improve in skill and eventually beat it, giving a great sense of accomplishment, and there's the kind of hard that feel cheap and frustrates you.
Want to cure diseases with your spare computing power?
http://folding.stanford.edu/

User Info: gideond

gideond
3 months ago#43
Black_Assassin posted...
There's the kind of hard where you can gradually improve in skill and eventually beat it, giving a great sense of accomplishment, and there's the kind of hard that feel cheap and frustrates you.

There are a lot of games that get their difficulty artificially. Dark Souls 2 is a good example of that for me. You can indeed get use to the play style of DS2 and improve your combat technique and strategy. However, you also see a lot of enemy cheese. Early game you'll get thrown into mobs of enemies that always seem to have huge attack power and endless stamina. 5 or 6 hits in a row from 4 or more random guard level enemies that crawled of the woodwork because they will aggro from screens they can't even see you from. I wouldn't mind this so much if it came later in the game, but it actually get's to be less of a thing as the game progresses. It's like they are trying to make you rage quit permanently early game. Stuff like that can be infuriating and is not fun to play. The sad part is that it can drive players away from an otherwise solid game. When it feels like the game is literally cheating just to make it seem harder, that's not a good implementation of difficulty.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

User Info: sherudons

sherudons
3 months ago#44
KillerTruffle posted...
sherudons posted...
This game is too hard is something thrown around by people who also say life is too hard.

Lazy, incompetent and entitled.

You have to work for that sense of pride and accomplishment (tm).

Really? I sure hope you don't actually believe that bulls***.

So in your opinion, a person who worked to put themselves through college without help, holds a 40 hour per week job, spends another 20-40 hours per week doing volunteer service work at any hour of the day or night, and just wants to come home now and then and unwind/de-stress by playing a game to provide distraction and entertainment without it being too difficult is lazy, incompetent, and entitled? You're full of s***. Not every gamer has the same goals for gaming you do, and there's absolutely no reason to demean anyone for that.

I could do it when I was an apprentice, then working 6 days a week cooking for 12+hour shifts over 8 years, your choice to volunteer, don't play a game that has a known difficulty and throw your tantrum when your 5 hour a day job is too hard.

I realised the math was wrong going over it, as I was working at times a full week over just 5 days... but it stands, do you even clue into the amount of games that actually ask you to think and get better at it to advance?, every game these days come with a giant arrow of you suck, follow the arrow because reading takes too much time and I just want to relax...

Watch a lets play or a movie if you want no challenge or less chances to fail than you already do, leave the hard games to people like myself who like to overcome obstacles and don't wave a white flag at others that love the thrill of clearing something that killed us a hundred times over.
Former Meepo Of Gfaq.
Official Techies of Gfaq, sometimes it is not enough to watch the world burn.

User Info: KCGemini

KCGemini
3 months ago#45
You also should separate a game's difficulty from it being fair or artificial.

Even with NES games, for example:

Battletoads and Zelda II are fair but extremely hard.
Silver Surfer / Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde throw all sorts of cheddar at you and are a good example of artificial difficulty.

Also, I more than understand that some people have an extremely limited amount of time to play video games and would probably not do very well if they don't play hard games to begin with. As much as I like Dark Souls, I can definitely see what would put others off on it. Since what one likes objectively about video games can vary greatly, what one guy may hate another will like and vice-versa.

Just play what you can enjoy.
What's wrong with the world these days is people don't have any common sense.
http://i.imgur.com/4p4wGOs.png
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. "this game is too hard" a reasonable example of why you don't like it?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived