This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"this game is too hard" a reasonable example of why you don't like it?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. "this game is too hard" a reasonable example of why you don't like it?

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
1 month ago#21
KillerTruffle posted...
I've played some games that were excessively hard, beat them, and not felt a sense of accomplishment - I felt more a sense of irritation at the game, even though I beat it. I play games for the experience and enjoyment throughout, not the end reward of beating it.

I've definitely played hard games that made me feel awesome after doing the hard thing.
but I've also played some where I just sigh and say "Thank God that's over with. Oh no, now I have to do more...?"

So I feel ya, homey.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: Spinder1

Spinder1
1 month ago#22
Of course it is. It's not a reasonable argument as to why a game is bad or flawed, in my opinion, but as to why you personally aren't liking it? Yeah.
Let him be king over charred bones and cooked meat. Let him be the king of ashes

User Info: LazyyAmerican

LazyyAmerican
1 month ago#23
Comparing leisure activities to life now huh
You've got ten minutes. There's policies even your section have to follow
I'll be sure to forward your message to the president.

User Info: Neo1661

Neo1661
1 month ago#24
Comparing life to a video game? Really? Some people like to game for fun and to relieve a stressful day. Coming home and then playing a game (which not meant to be tough) with huge difficulty spikes and just plain bad design is ridiculous.
https://goo.gl/vRAucu
http://i.imgur.com/51jBWDy.png

User Info: pothocket

pothocket
1 month ago#25
I had to think about it but I don't think I've enjoyed or hated a game based on it's difficulty. If a game is hard but I like it I will "git gud" and learn to play it better. If a game is hard and I don't like it I will just stop playing.
http://www.koalastothemax.com/?aHR0cDovL2kuaW1ndXIuY29tL3pnMGpYWDcuanBn

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
1 month ago#26
KillerTruffle posted...
Bleu_Skie posted...
The reward isn't the goal for me.

This is actually relevant for a *lot* of people. I've played some games that were excessively hard, beat them, and not felt a sense of accomplishment - I felt more a sense of irritation at the game, even though I beat it. I play games for the experience and enjoyment throughout, not the end reward of beating it.

I don't like games that are too easy either, but hard to the point of frustrating? Sure as hell I'll pass and do something else.

There is a reason why I added "for me" :P

So you felt irritation only after you beat it and and had fun while playing it? Sounds like an overall win to me tbh.

... wait, I'm actually a bit confused in your wording. "You've beat games and didn't feel accomplishment" and "you don't play games for the reward at the end." Is accomplishment and reward seperate for you? They fall under the same umbrella for me I think.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
1 month ago#27
loader963 posted...
but if/when you beat it and don’t feel that satisfaction or joy, just relief of aggravation, that doesn’t seem to fun to me

This.

I am apparently incapable of feeling this so-called "satisfaction" that hard-heads and Souls Trolls seem to live on. When I finally got 100 jumps in Super Mario Odyssey's jump rope mini-game after trying over and over for 2 hours, I didn't feel "satisfied," I felt relieved that I would never have to touch that s***ty mini-game again.

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
1 month ago#28
Bleu_Skie posted...
There is a reason why I added "for me" :P

So you felt irritation only after you beat it and and had fun while playing it? Sounds like an overall win to me tbh.

... wait, I'm actually a bit confused in your wording. "You've beat games and didn't feel accomplishment" and "you don't play games for the reward at the end." Is accomplishment and reward seperate for you? They fall under the same umbrella for me I think.

I think you misunderstood most of my post. I was agreeing with your comment that the reward (presumably at the end?) isn't the goal, and saying that that applies to a lot of people, not just you.

I then pointed out that one particular game I played through to the end, was frustratingly hard, to the point that even though I beat it, I did not feel a sense of accomplishment for winning - I was just irritated with the game - glad it was over. In general, I don't play games just for the reward/accomplishment of beating them. I play them for how much fun and entertainment they can give me.

And no, in this context, I was referring to "sense of accomplishment" and "reward" as the same thing. I don't play games with the exclusive goal of beating them. I play them for fun. One reason I never got into WoW, I suspect, is because so many people said "the game doesn't really start till level 60," and the early game just felt horribly dull and boring to me - more work and grind than I cared to do. Even if the post-60 game is fun, I was not going to subject myself to hours and hours of drudgery just to find out if I like the "real" game or not.

So the bottom line is that yes, if a game is *too* hard, to the point it's absolutely no fun, there's a solid chance I won't finish it, and won't like it.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: DivineWraith

DivineWraith
1 month ago#29
Why would you push throw right? That seems rude.

What the hell did Right do to you? Heathen.

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
1 month ago#30
KillerTruffle posted...
I think you misunderstood most of my post. I was agreeing with your comment that the reward (presumably at the end?) isn't the goal, and saying that that applies to a lot of people, not just you.

ah, the scales have fallen from my eyes. I read it from the wrong perspective. I got you now.

I do get frustrated with artificial difficulty at times, but that is more form the implementation standpoint. I'm trying to think of a game too tough I didn't beat or have fun with and I'm drawing a blank. Difficulty is a reason I might try a game, but it hasn't been a reason for me to drop one. That I can recall at least. I have dropped games for not being fun or interesting, but I'm sure most people do that as well. Most games I drop get dropped simply becasue I lose interest tbh.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. "this game is too hard" a reasonable example of why you don't like it?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived