This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"this game is too hard" a reasonable example of why you don't like it?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. "this game is too hard" a reasonable example of why you don't like it?

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
4 months ago#11
OrangeMustache posted...
WhyWontHeFall posted...
Hard or not, if you're not having fun, then you should stop.

Yeah, but when people play sports and they think it's too hard, and they don't spend countless hours training to be the best they missed an opportunity.

Or they gained one or more because they went and did something they enjoyed better.

I don't really know you understand that argument.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
4 months ago#12
OrangeMustache posted...
Yeah, but when people play sports and they think it's too hard, and they don't spend countless hours training to be the best they missed an opportunity.

There's a difference between "Hoo, this is hard, but I want to get better!" and "This is hard...and I'm not having fun..."

I think it boils down to how rewarding the activity is. If, for example, you spend two hours fighting a boss and finally beat him, if you just get 1EXP from it and a 5 stack of potions you'll feel like you wasted your time.

But if beating the boss gives you a rare or unique weapon that gives you an immediate skill boost it feels like it's worth it.

But then it's just as legit to say "I could spend hours trying to beat this boss...or I could play something more fun." Thing is TC, if you get your jollies from punishingly hard games, then more power to you. I mean that sincerely, too. I'd recommend Cuphead and Ruiner, I hear Ruiner is a really good hard game.

But it's generally not for me. I like challenge, I don't like difficulty.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
4 months ago#13
I generally like hard games more than easy games. The challenge is worth my time whereas a cake walk isn't. Lucky, most games fall somewhere in between. Just don't play something if you don't find it fun.... or let someone else tell you how to enjoy your games. It's really that simple.

EDIT: The reward isn't the goal for me. Like how I'd spend hours of playing rocket league in casual. There is no reward, just fun. If you have fun taking down a hard boss, the reward is just icing. Also cuphead is not something I'd consider punishing. You can make in punishing if you want to get perfect rankings, but the game itself is just harder than average. imo of course. Never heard of ruiner, but gonna check it out.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

User Info: dunkis

dunkis
4 months ago#14
This is another one of those areas where I wish people realized there are different kinds of personalities and some people simply don't find joy in doing something difficult. Personally, I fall somewhere in between. I enjoy a challenge that is "fair" but also interesting, though both those things are fairly subjective and difficult to describe. Basically, I hate when it amounts to something tedious, mechanical skill alone, perfect execution of input, or at its worst luck. I like when I have to think quick and hard, and though I dislike trial and error, it feels satisfying when you figure it out through reasoning and not purely through brute force.
NNID: TheDunc | Steam: Sir Soyeldimzelf

User Info: jake-sf

jake-sf
4 months ago#15
Of course it is a reasonable example. Thats why you put in difficulty settings.

I actually enjoy "genuinly difficult" things though, generally my complaint is more "my name is Dark Souls and I use the word difficulty in place of pain, making my games for masochistic f***s who like to be punished and have to redo things over and over with clunky mechanics".

In either case, it is entirely the game's fault for not including basic difficulty options to appeal for different level of skills. Games being too easy or too difficult is almost always the killing point for me, so the fact that many games don't include (proper) difficulty levels baffles me.
SFJake Website - http://sfjake.byethost7.com

User Info: Rai_Jin

Rai_Jin
4 months ago#16
Super meat boy, while hard, felt rewarding and fun. Iwbtg just felt hard, and the trial and error is real.

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
4 months ago#17
Cuphead really did the difficulty justice. Adding new attacks and harder patterns to expert. I wish more games took the time to make a real difficulty curve.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

User Info: pipebomb_phil

pipebomb_phil
4 months ago#18
Yes, it's a legitimate reason.

There are people who aren't skilled or don't have the time to improve their skills to beat a very difficult game. There are people who just want to sit back and relax. Nothing wrong with that. And people who get really frustrated at the game's difficulty.

I enjoy challenging games, but I have the time for it and if the game is fun, I'll keep playing it.

What I do not enjoy is "cheap" difficulty in games. Basically when the difficulty in the game isn't balanced or fair. I end up getting frustrated and stop playing because if I'm not having some enjoyment out of it, there's no point in playing.
#pipebomb_phil
http://i.imgur.com/atWQoAs.gif

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 months ago#19
OrangeMustache posted...

Not if they were totally miserable the entire time and not enjoying themselves.

As was already pretty clearly stated - if a game/hobby is not enjoyable, there is no reason to do it. If you're looking at it as a "missed opportunity," well, then it's more than just a game/hobby at that point, and is a potential source of income or something. That is an entirely different topic.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 months ago#20
Bleu_Skie posted...
The reward isn't the goal for me.

This is actually relevant for a *lot* of people. I've played some games that were excessively hard, beat them, and not felt a sense of accomplishment - I felt more a sense of irritation at the game, even though I beat it. I play games for the experience and enjoyment throughout, not the end reward of beating it.

I don't like games that are too easy either, but hard to the point of frustrating? Sure as hell I'll pass and do something else.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. "this game is too hard" a reasonable example of why you don't like it?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived