This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"this game is too hard" a reasonable example of why you don't like it?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. "this game is too hard" a reasonable example of why you don't like it?

User Info: OrangeMustache

OrangeMustache
3 months ago#1
Because I mean life is hard, but you just gotta push threw right?

User Info: GundamMonX

GundamMonX
3 months ago#2
It depends on what we mean when we're talking about "too hard". "Too hard" is, ironically, too vague.

Is it "too hard" because the whole game is designed to be difficult from start to finish? Or is it a case of the difficulty ramping up considerably, without much warning or ability to prepare for it? Do bad and/or frustrating controls make it difficult? Or specifically awkward sections of a game that are poorly-designed and don't fit in well? Bad game design (in whole or in part) can make something difficult.

There's a big difference between a lack of player skill or focus making a game difficult, and parts of games that make you feel like you're beating your head against a brick wall.
"If Keanu Reeves didn't look so non-Asian, he would never have made it into Hollywood."--LuminescentRule

User Info: gideond

gideond
3 months ago#3
Yes. I don't hold it against anyone that doesn't like a game because they find it to be too difficult. Not everyone plays for a challenge or to torture themselves. That said, know what you are getting into when you buy it. If you read reviews you should know better than to buy a game like Dark Souls or Cuphead and expect it to be a relaxing way to unwind. These games are designed to challenge.

I do feel that some games are legitimately difficult and some have a lot of artificial difficulty created by annoying methods like spamming you with hordes of enemies that you can't even see coming, or by having crap mechanics. Saying those are too hard for those reasons is perfectly acceptable IMO. Some games cheat or are programmed poorly.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
3 months ago#4
I'd say so, yeah. I mean if you don't have the skills to get through a section and you just feel like you're bashing your head on a wall and aren't having fun, that's a pretty legit reason to dislike a game.

The idea of "Things are hard, you you need to push through" does not apply to a hobby. If my hobby isn't fulfilling me then I have to find other ways for it to do so. This isn't like "Ugh, budgeting money every month is hard. I quit."
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: loader963

loader963
3 months ago#5
Dragon Nexus posted...
I'd say so, yeah. I mean if you don't have the skills to get through a section and you just feel like you're bashing your head on a wall and aren't having fun, that's a pretty legit reason to dislike a game.

The idea of "Things are hard, you you need to push through" does not apply to a hobby. If my hobby isn't fulfilling me then I have to find other ways for it to do so. This isn't like "Ugh, budgeting money every month is hard. I quit."

Well spoken.
I can be patient, but I'm not waiting!

User Info: arleas

arleas
3 months ago#6
Some people get off on beating themselves up. That doesn't mean that I'm somehow wrong because I'm not one of those people.

I mean, I get it...when you really have to work to achieve something, the sense of satisfaction when you finally make it is (sometimes) special enough to make the effort feel like it was worth it. I've also seen games that are so punishing that you'd have to be one of the aforementioned masochists to find it enjoyable during the game to get to the end to feel satisfied.

For me I'd say it depends greatly on what kind of game it is and how long I have to endure the 'pain' before I am given the reward.

A fighting game that's really tough would be an example of one I'm more likely to keep working to finish. Each match may be tough but it's probably only a couple of minutes of punishment at a time. Imagine a game that is super tough and resets all your progress when you die so each time you play it it's from the beginning, and the end of the game takes hours to get to... that would probably be too much for me.

I play games to relax and have fun. I have a job and don't need a 2nd one, thanks... Especially not one that I don't even get paid to do.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
https://i.imgur.com/Po5TbWg.jpg

User Info: WhyWontHeFall

WhyWontHeFall
3 months ago#7
Hard or not, if you're not having fun, then you should stop.

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
3 months ago#8
Yeah, if you aren't having fun because the game is too hard, why suffer?

I put Valdis Story down for a long time because of its difficulty. And it's a good game, but I was just fed up with losing. I ended up playing through it much later on a lower difficulty setting, and I'm not ashamed of the fact that I'll never play through it on God Slayer.

User Info: OrangeMustache

OrangeMustache
3 months ago#9
WhyWontHeFall posted...
Hard or not, if you're not having fun, then you should stop.

Yeah, but when people play sports and they think it's too hard, and they don't spend countless hours training to be the best they missed an opportunity.

User Info: loader963

loader963
3 months ago#10
Yes there’s a big sense of satisfaction when you accomplish a challenge, but if/when you beat it and don’t feel that satisfaction or joy, just relief of aggravation, that doesn’t seem to fun to me. Kind of reminds me of people who force themselves to play games they don’t enjoy just to say they beat it
I can be patient, but I'm not waiting!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. "this game is too hard" a reasonable example of why you don't like it?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived