This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

MSI laptop fan died. Do those external coolers help at all?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. MSI laptop fan died. Do those external coolers help at all?

User Info: Sub Tank

Sub Tank
1 month ago#1
It started with fluctuating speeds a couple days ago, then today the CPU fan stopped working completely. The secondary fan for the GPU is still fine, however. If anyone cares for the model, it's a GT62VR 7RE.

Basically, I just want to know if there's something that will hold me over until I can get the replacement part from the manufacturer (it's still covered under warranty). I've never experienced a dead CPU fan before, so I've been closely watching the temperature. It's not skyrocketing to gaming temps or anything, but it will steadily climb if I leave it on. Will an external fan be sufficient for a week or two? Just for regular use (and maybe some programs like Photoshop), I'm obviously not planning on gaming on it.
"...on a ps3 a realalistic looking megaman with a huge universe to explore rag dog physics." - Djmidnight1

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
1 month ago#2
Search on eBay for your laptop and the CPU fan part. You can also match any fan to replace it as long as it is compatible.
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: Playsaver

Playsaver
1 month ago#3
Are you sure it didn't just stop because the temps are just very low and that your cpu just needs to be a bit hotter for the fan to bother to go on? A laptop fan could go off if the laptop isn't hot enough, because nothing is running. I'd say it would be more likely to happen in the winter when indoor temps could be helping the laptop stay cool.

User Info: Sub Tank

Sub Tank
1 month ago#4
Playsaver posted...
Are you sure it didn't just stop because the temps are just very low and that your cpu just needs to be a bit hotter for the fan to bother to go on? A laptop fan could go off if the laptop isn't hot enough, because nothing is running. I'd say it would be more likely to happen in the winter when indoor temps could be helping the laptop stay cool.

I don't think so. I've got a program that lets me adjust the fan speeds, and I couldn't get it to budge. It's never done this before.

After fiddling with the fan for a while, I actually managed to get it working again, but there's definitely some sort of issue with the motor. I seems to have a little trouble starting up, but then it stays on once it's running. Now I'm scared to touch anything.
"...on a ps3 a realalistic looking megaman with a huge universe to explore rag dog physics." - Djmidnight1

User Info: SilentHawk29

SilentHawk29
1 month ago#5
Replace the fan. Redo thermal paste while it's open. Laptop coolers are fairly useless outside of ergonomics and USB ports.
Steam - SilentHawk29 || Z170-A, G1 GTX 1080, i5 6600K, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4
My car (on fire): http://i.imgur.com/ZoeZJ1b.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. MSI laptop fan died. Do those external coolers help at all?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived