This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

i7 6700k was damaged. Replace with i7 8700k and upgrade motherboard?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. i7 6700k was damaged. Replace with i7 8700k and upgrade motherboard?

User Info: draxenz

draxenz
3 months ago#1
Hello, recently my cooling pump failed and damaged my i7 6700k. The manufacturer agreed to replace the pump and cut me a check for the CPU. So my question is, should I use this opportunity to upgrade the CPU to say an i7 8700k? The thing is though, my motherboard is a ROG Maximus VIII Hero, and from my understanding is not compatible. I no longer have access to the Skylake processor, so I wouldn't be able to flash the bios.

Is it worth it to take this chance and upgrade the motherboard, and if so would the ROG Maximus X Hero be my best bet? Would I need to worry about any other compatibility issues, or would all of my other components work just fine? Ram (DDR4 3000), GTX 1080, etc. I built the PC 1 1/2 years ago, so I assume everything should work.

With the whole meltdown and spectre debacle, is now a horrible time to buy? I do need this soon so I can get my PC up and running again.

I'm open to any suggestions.

User Info: Superemppu

Superemppu
3 months ago#2
Money/performance wose it would be best to just get the strongest cpu that your mobo supports.

Although selling the mobo and getting newer stuff might not be that much more expensive.
If brute force doesn't fix the problem, you're not using enough of it.

User Info: saltedham

saltedham
3 months ago#3
how long did you use a water cooler before it failed.
(X)_(X)
SUSANO'O!!!!!

draxenz
3 months ago#4
saltedham posted...

The pump failed a little over 1 year of use. There were no warning signs and no leaks. Temps were always rock solid, and then one day it just stopped and CPU temps reached 100c.

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
3 months ago#5
draxenz posted...
saltedham posted...

The pump failed a little over 1 year of use. There were no warning signs and no leaks. Temps were always rock solid, and then one day it just stopped and CPU temps reached 100c.

this is why i prefer to stick with air cooler.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: Superemppu

Superemppu
3 months ago#6
zhenghan posted...
draxenz posted...
saltedham posted...

this is why i prefer to stick with air cooler.

Me too. High end aircooler achieve fairly similar performance than the all-in-ones in the same price range while being more reliable, less risky even in the case of failure and having less noise due to less moving parts.
If brute force doesn't fix the problem, you're not using enough of it.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
3 months ago#7
Ya I would go for the upgrade TC. And pay the difference for the mobo. Those 2 extra cores will be nice.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: snkboi

snkboi
3 months ago#8
Hello, recently my cooling pump failed and damaged my i7 6700k

lmfao those closed looped coolers are all garbage

draxenz
3 months ago#9
They're replacing the pump, but you guys are making me not want to use it :( I hope it doesn't damage my next processor.

User Info: loader963

loader963
3 months ago#10
You could q flash the hero to update bios for kabylake couldn’t you? I’d upgrade myself but I admit the difference from sky/Kaby and coffeelake ain’t huge for gaming.

Edit: how to update bios without cpu https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?94042-M8H-Maximus-VIII-Hero-with-i7-7700k-Where-to-start

Either way do what you will.
I can be patient, but I'm not waiting!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. i7 6700k was damaged. Replace with i7 8700k and upgrade motherboard?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived