This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do I get my computer to idle as low of a cpu temperature as I can?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How do I get my computer to idle as low of a cpu temperature as I can?

User Info: speedforce131

speedforce131
3 months ago#11
Under balanced performance profile (under Windows Power Management) it should keep your CPU downclocked when it's idle.

User Info: Bikozi

Bikozi
3 months ago#12
It was a physical cleaning. I took just the laptop in without the power supply nor did I give them a password. Told them to open it up as much as they could and clean it as much as possible in regards to helping the cooling performance of the laptop.

And the temperature difference I've monitored for years on this laptop and the average prior to this was a good five Celsius cooler.

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
3 months ago#13
A 2013 laptop or any laptop is designed to operate at that temps do not modify the laptop or put a cooler fan under the laptop.

Your temps are fine leave it alone.
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: Playsaver

Playsaver
3 months ago#14
You may need to check your advance power options settings and then check under Processor power management and then Minimum processor state while using battery and plugged in are set to something like 5%. When your pc is idle it should reduce the cpu to that lower state. (If your pc ever does idle.) That should get the pc to cool off when not being used. (If you have a power icon on the start bar you can get to the setting by right clicking it, then pick power options, then pick change plan settings on the plan that is active, pick change advanced power settings. A new window will pop up, locate Processor power management on it and hit the plus symbol. Do the same on Minimum processor state. If the values there aren't low change them to 5% or so.)

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 months ago#15
arleas posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
It's possible the thermal adhesive was damaged and isn't transferring the heat properly now.
If you can, take it to the place that cleaned it and explain the situation. They may bear some responsibility depending on their terms.

If the difference is only a couple of degrees they're probably just gonna roll their eyes and tell him to get bent, or they'll take it out back and do the hokey pokey with it for a few minutes to make him believe they did something (like they did last time).

Now if he was seeing idle temps in the 70°C range after cleaning then he might have a case there. For all we know, TC saw his temps on a good day and his current situation is actually normal.

It's evidence of damage to the thermal solution, which would be their responsibility. If they value repeat customers and their terms include warranting the work they do, it's not unthinkable they could take a look and confirm if the thermal solution is damaged or just misaligned, and possibly fix it.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: jhood

jhood
3 months ago#16
you can try undervolting. that should drop your cpu temps drastically.
6700k @4.6ghz | Corsair H105 | Gigbayte Z170 HDP3 | 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming Z | Evga 1000w G2 |
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How do I get my computer to idle as low of a cpu temperature as I can?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived