This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So does EVGA GTX660 just not support DP1.2 like it says?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So does EVGA GTX660 just not support DP1.2 like it says?

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
4 months ago#1
Got a new DP1.2 display coming in the mail, so since my 1060 only has 1 DP port, I decided to slot in my old 660 for my 60hz 4k cintiq only to find that it simply won't do 4k at all, much less at 60hz. I've gotten it to try a couple times, but it just gives a black screen and eventually locks up the display driver completely.
Works fine at DP1.1/1440p spec, and the display works fine on my 1060 at DP1.2 spec, but 660 just won't do dp1.2 speeds at all it seems.

Is this just a thing with EVGA's super trashy cheapo videocards?
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
4 months ago#2
nvidia, the way it's meant to be played.
The Infamous...
If you're one of us then roll with us.

DarkZV2Beta
4 months ago#3
idk, I bet this is a EVGA problem, seeing as how this POS didn't even run factory settings stable, just like the other 6.

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
4 months ago#4
I just posted that so your topic had a post in it and might catch more attention if I'm being honest.

more posts more attention.
The Infamous...
If you're one of us then roll with us.

DarkZV2Beta
4 months ago#5
I guess that's probably true.
And yeah after like an hour of testing, it's definitely locking up trying to do DP1.2. I'll test it out with a 1440p/144hz display when that arrives, but I already ordered a 1030 for the cintiq.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
4 months ago#6
Weird, did you try HDMI as well?

The official specs say it shall do 4k 60 hz over Displayport. HDMI shall do either 24 hz or 30 hz at 4k, and Nvidia did a driver hack a few years ago so it will do 60 hz.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

DarkZV2Beta
4 months ago#7
No, I don't have a HDMI to DP/miniDP adapter handy, and the only input on the Link is miniDP.
Which is stupid yeah, it only accepts USB-C for input because raisins, but what can you do?

Also, lossy compression for a pen and touch display is not really an acceptable compromise.

DarkZV2Beta
4 months ago#8
So to follow up on this, the 144hz Dell 1440p monitor I just got runs 120hz, 1440p, but the overclock mode through the monitor menu crashes the display similar to the Cintiq. Seems that the DP1.2 port isn't fully DP1.2 compliant, but is technically attempting to be a DP1.2 port with DP1.2-like bandwidth?

By default, the display won't even allow 144hz in the GeForce control panel, either. Only up to 120. I did overclock it to 165 via custom resolution and it seemed to work? But I didn't test that long enough to say.
However, when plugged into the DP1.4 on my 1060, it displays all the way up to 165hz.

So in other words, confirmed that this 660 does not have a fully compliant DP1.2 port, possibly a Kepler issue, possibly a nVidia DP1.2 issue, possibly just a EVGA issue.

Also, when I plugged it into the 1060, I got some hilarious tiling artifacts on the DVI-D display that was already plugged in. Super broken. Shoulda took a picture but I didn't.

User Info: Shebeskii

Shebeskii
4 months ago#9
DarkZV2Beta posted...
So to follow up on this, the 144hz Dell 1440p monitor I just got runs 120hz, 1440p, but the overclock mode through the monitor menu crashes the display similar to the Cintiq. Seems that the DP1.2 port isn't fully DP1.2 compliant, but is technically attempting to be a DP1.2 port with DP1.2-like bandwidth?

By default, the display won't even allow 144hz in the GeForce control panel, either. Only up to 120. I did overclock it to 165 via custom resolution and it seemed to work? But I didn't test that long enough to say.
However, when plugged into the DP1.4 on my 1060, it displays all the way up to 165hz.

So in other words, confirmed that this 660 does not have a fully compliant DP1.2 port, possibly a Kepler issue, possibly a nVidia DP1.2 issue, possibly just a EVGA issue.

Also, when I plugged it into the 1060, I got some hilarious tiling artifacts on the DVI-D display that was already plugged in. Super broken. Shoulda took a picture but I didn't.

Not sure it's not supported, but more the card can't actually output those refresh rates. The GTX660 is pretty old, and looking into my PG279Q, even cards like the GTX 960 can't pull off 165Hz for this monitor IIRC.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens

DarkZV2Beta
4 months ago#10
The display only has a DP1.2, though, and in terms of pushing pixels, the card is certainly more than capable of it. I know it supports above 120hz, too. Even 460 could get past 120hz.
It's just not up to spec.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. So does EVGA GTX660 just not support DP1.2 like it says?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived