This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

In search of new AV + firewall

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. In search of new AV + firewall

User Info: Black_Assassin

Black_Assassin
3 months ago#1
COMODO firewall recently managed to f*** up my networking for several hours, before I figured out that it seemed to get somehow corrupted for god knows what reason. Anything simple and lightweight, that isn't a lovecraftian nightmare to uninstall?

For anti-viruses:
- Been using Avast for several years, it had gradually gotten more and more bloated with some false positives along the way
- Tried Avira for a while, even more false positives plus advertising popups
- Bitdefender free version is way too barebones with it's settings.
Want to cure diseases with your spare computing power?
http://folding.stanford.edu/

User Info: ThePCElitist

ThePCElitist
3 months ago#2
Kaspersky if you want to open your heart to Putin

User Info: Black_Assassin

Black_Assassin
3 months ago#3
That doesn't sound so bad as long as it works.
Want to cure diseases with your spare computing power?
http://folding.stanford.edu/

User Info: ThePCElitist

ThePCElitist
3 months ago#4
It's actually one of the best AV's out there and I'd actually call it the best based on personal use.

User Info: iemerg_

iemerg_
3 months ago#5
AVG Antivirus + Firewall
MalwareBytes
7700K@5.0 - 1080 - EVGA 750 - 16GB DDR4 - Z270 ASUS
H100v2 - Evolv ATX - 500GB SAMSUNG SSD - 1TB WD BLACK

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 months ago#6
I know it's not popular around here, but I've been using the Norton Security suite with Backup for quite a while now and it's worked well for me.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: PhazonReborn

PhazonReborn
3 months ago#7
Malware Bytes and Windows Defender
The Phazon you know and trust since 2004 Steam ID: AncientToaster / PSN ID: LiteralToaster

User Info: OUberLord

OUberLord
3 months ago#8
I don't really see the point of a software firewall other than Windows firewall. It seems to cover most use cases, unless I'm missing something.

User Info: WalkingPlague

WalkingPlague
3 months ago#9
I was using Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. Currently using Avira. So far so good. The adverts are annoying though. May have to switch to BitDefender or something. Any recommendations?
#PCMR

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 months ago#10
If your Windows 10 I actually recommend dropping the virus scanner entirely.

I've discovered a hilarious new bug in Avira and Avast, both got silently hosed by Creators update for the former, and fall creaters for the latter. Both appeared to be running, but couldn't actually scan and needed a reinstall. On both machines I hadn't noticed. Viruses just aren't really something that is preventable by antivirus anymore. All virus scanners really do anymore is slow down your disk access, and Intel is already seeing to that, so why have an additional virus scanner?
Even better, you can just reset Windows 10 and keep all your programs and settings and files, but dump the virus.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. In search of new AV + firewall

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived