This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Performance loss after Meltdown patch

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Performance loss after Meltdown patch

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
3 months ago#21
Digitalfoundry finally has their benchmarks up, A slight performance hit in most games, the most notable one being The Witcher 3, tested on i5 8400.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-does-patching-cpu-security-flaws-impact-gaming-performance

They mentioned i7 4790k (no BIOS update) had a 3% performance hit, and expresses concern regarding how the Sandy Bridge CPUs will be hit
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: Tropicalwood

Tropicalwood
3 months ago#22
MasteroftheArts posted...
AMD's stock slightly, slightly rose. Intel's stock is exactly where it was a month ago. They went from $45 to $43. Nobody gives a s***.

That's a pretty big hit when you're a big investor.
ayy lmao ayy lmao || oaml oaml yya yya
ayy lmao ayy lmao || oaml oaml yya yya

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
3 months ago#23
I haven't noticed any performance loss, everything benched is within margin of error.
The Infamous...
If you're one of us then roll with us.

User Info: Pengu1n

Pengu1n
3 months ago#24
I installed the Win 10 update and haven't noticed anything different. TBH the whole thing has been blown right out of proportion with tech sites using buzzwords like 'could', 'maybe' and 'upto' The exploit has been around for years and no-one has reported anything until now. I think that what they are doing is they fakes the exploit in order to swerve people's attention from the apple incident where they are slowing down peoples iphones with the iOS updates.

https://youtu.be/4hphXA-Ehuw

I watched this video and it explained it without trying to use scare tactics.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 months ago#25
Pengu1n posted...

He doesn't tell you anything we don't already know, he's just regurgitating bullet points from countless articles without the clickbait headlines.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: Pengu1n

Pengu1n
3 months ago#26
JKatarn posted...
Pengu1n posted...

He doesn't tell you anything we don't already know, he's just regurgitating bullet points from countless articles without the clickbait headlines.

Point is though that it shows that people shouldn't start panicking. Tech sites are just using scare tactics and buzzwords to freak people out and like i said it diverts people's attention from other tech news stories such as apple slowing your iphone down or net neutrality. But i myself have installed the windows patch and aren't about to stop using my PC in anyway shape or form. Neither am i going to run out and sell my 4790k for an AMD Ryzen CPU. There will always be security flaws in computer hardware/software but tech sites need to stop trying to spread fear and instead reassure people there is nothing to worry about. Remember the GTX 960 3.5gb of VRAM issue??? It happened, people freaked out and now no-one cares.

User Info: maybecalls

maybecalls
3 months ago#27
I'm in the supposed hardest hit group (Sandy Bridge + W7). Be interesting to see if it makes practical difference. Most demanding game I play regularly is M & B Warband.

JKatarn
3 months ago#28
Pengu1n posted...
Point is though that it shows that people shouldn't start panicking

No, people shouldn't panic, but I don't think anybody is, they're justifiably angry that Intel knew of this issue, and kept it under wraps for so many years. They could have easily addressed this in the design phase of their chips, but they sacrificed data security for more performance, and now everybody is paying for it. Also, whether or not this effects most end user machines, it will likely have a larger effect on the servers that run the Internet at large (Xeon CPUs are incredibly popular in servers), which will lead to longer load times/possibly higher pings etc. no matter what CPU you run in your personal machine. It may not be as catastrophic as the predicted Y2K crash, but it's still going to have some effect, we just don't know the full extent yet as the software/firmware patches haven't been distributed far enough at the moment.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

JKatarn
3 months ago#29
godplaysSNES posted...
Digitalfoundry finally has their benchmarks up, A slight performance hit in most games, the most notable one being The Witcher 3, tested on i5 8400.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-does-patching-cpu-security-flaws-impact-gaming-performance

They mentioned i7 4790k (no BIOS update) had a 3% performance hit, and expresses concern regarding how the Sandy Bridge CPUs will be hit

Though admittedly they didn't test on older Sandy Bridge etc. CPUs which are still very popular in gaming PCs, but I personally haven't noticed any noticeable FPS drops in the games I play (of course I only have the Windows software fix as Asus has yet to release a BIOS patch for my motherboard).

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 months ago#30
godplaysSNES posted...

What I find more interesting is that 8400 saw a 9% drop in performance on the 8400 just from the Windows patch, a more recent Intel CPU that should be less affected by this, but 4790k didn't see any significant drop in performance at all in that test.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Performance loss after Meltdown patch

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived