This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

If I left my monitor on desktop for about 10 hrs is burn in possible?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. If I left my monitor on desktop for about 10 hrs is burn in possible?

User Info: FelineCyborg

FelineCyborg
4 months ago#1
Thought I had it set to turn off automatically, apparently not, went to sleep and it was on all night. Any risk of burn out? new monitor so kind of paranoid
"well, yeah, and a lot of minorities go to see minstrel shows, too." - PyroSpoon

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
4 months ago#2
Is it a CRT? After 1000 hours you might have a problem. If it's not a CRT, then no.

FelineCyborg
4 months ago#3
nah its dell s2417dg
"well, yeah, and a lot of minorities go to see minstrel shows, too." - PyroSpoon

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#4
FelineCyborg posted...
dell s2417dg

Got the same exact model. G-sync is very nice. Got it on sale for $350. I don't notice burn in and ya burn in I only noticed happening on CRT's. Only issue is the bezel/case is kind of giving way. Could probably just super glue it, but I'll only do that if it gets worse.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
4 months ago#5
Burn in is super rare on everything now.

What you get is image retention which is temporary but could last months to years if bad enough.
The Infamous...
If you're one of us then roll with us.

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
4 months ago#6
Killah Priest posted...
Burn in is super rare on everything now.

What you get is image retention which is temporary but could last months to years if bad enough.

I've seen it repeated here and there that LCDs can get long-term image retention but I've never actually heard of a time when it's happened. If it does happen, it must be really, really, really rare. Lots of businesses and even some home users keep the same thing on their screen for months at a time with no image retention to speak of.

Real burn-in was a CRT thing (and something similar happened on early plasmas, think pre-2006). It was common on screens that would show the same thing for a long time, like arcade machines that didn't have a lot of people playing them. It was actually kinda rad. It looked like this:
https://i.redd.it/gtgs8h67m4sy.jpg

FelineCyborg
4 months ago#7
captsplatter_1 posted...
FelineCyborg posted...
dell s2417dg

Got the same exact model. G-sync is very nice. Got it on sale for $350. I don't notice burn in and ya burn in I only noticed happening on CRT's. Only issue is the bezel/case is kind of giving way. Could probably just super glue it, but I'll only do that if it gets worse.

nice price man. i got it around $400 with 4 year warranty because i worry too much <_>
dude the gysnc is changing my life. playing games from 10 years ago just to re-experience them.

ok its not just the gysnc i got a completely new pc too but still.

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
4 months ago#8
I've seen it repeated here and there that LCDs can get long-term image retention but I've never actually heard of a time when it's happened. If it does happen, it must be really, really, really rare. Lots of businesses and even some home users keep the same thing on their screen for months at a time with no image retention to speak of.

I haven't seen it in a very long time, probably more due to the fact that they are cheap as f*** and get replaced faster, but I remember early on I couldn't go a day without seeing an LCD used for business information/advert display purposes with some sort of burn in.
The Infamous...
If you're one of us then roll with us.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#9
FelineCyborg posted...
captsplatter_1 posted...
FelineCyborg posted...
dell s2417dg

nice price man. i got it around $400 with 4 year warranty because i worry too much <_>
dude the gysnc is changing my life. playing games from 10 years ago just to re-experience them.

ok its not just the gysnc i got a completely new pc too but still.

I noticed the monitor comes with a standard 3 year without buying anything more. Because of that I skipped on the extra warranty.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. If I left my monitor on desktop for about 10 hrs is burn in possible?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived