This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it still safe to use 2007 Microsoft Office Suite?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is it still safe to use 2007 Microsoft Office Suite?

User Info: FireDrakeZ

FireDrakeZ
4 months ago#1
Is it still safe to use 2007 Microsoft Office Suite even though Microsoft ended official support and stopped sending security updates last October, especially if I used it mostly offline to print documents?

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 months ago#2
No. If you use old Office Steve Ballmer will personally come to your house and throw chairs around while doing the monkey dance. Either that or it's perfectly fine.
Even I'm not crazy enough to believe that distortion of reality

FireDrakeZ
4 months ago#3
So it sounds like you are saying it is really a yes that you can keep on using 2007 even without security updates.

User Info: pyromania86

pyromania86
4 months ago#4
I still use the whole 2007 suite I got when I was in college. What has really change since?
i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz | CRYORIG H7 | XFX GTR RX-480 8GB | 16GB DDR4 @ 3200 | MSI Z270 | SSD x2 | SSHD 2TB | G910/G502
http://gamercards.exophase.com/128564.png

FireDrakeZ
4 months ago#5
pyromania86 posted...
I still use the whole 2007 suite I got when I was in college. What has really change since?

Same here. It is all I really need and don't see any advantage on getting the latest one.

However, Microsoft stopped supporting the 2007 suite last October and no longer sends updates(including security updates for it) since then. I am just concerned about it being vulnerable to exploits now that it is no longer updated.

User Info: Kokuei05

Kokuei05
4 months ago#6
Mostly interface and integration with web based office. I personally use 2016 because I was provided it for free. I do however make use of the Office 365 suite online as I'm often using shared documents so modifying an excel sheet and the other person seeing the change almost immediately is a plus.
i7-6700K @ Stock | Team Vulcan 16GB 3000Mhz | Zotac 8GB GTX 1080 Mini | EA232WMI 79hz
e7470 | i5-6300U || Surface Pro 2 i5 || OnePlus 5t || iPad Air 2 9.0

User Info: pyromania86

pyromania86
4 months ago#7
Kokuei05 posted...
Mostly interface and integration with web based office. I personally use 2016 because I was provided it for free. I do however make use of the Office 365 suite online as I'm often using shared documents so modifying an excel sheet and the other person seeing the change almost immediately is a plus.

Yeah I would use those features if my company wasn't still using open office. 2007 is still better than the free apps. I'm not too worried about the security updates..
i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz | CRYORIG H7 | XFX GTR RX-480 8GB | 16GB DDR4 @ 3200 | MSI Z270 | SSD x2 | SSHD 2TB | G910/G502
http://gamercards.exophase.com/128564.png

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 months ago#8
It's an office suite man. Just be careful about opening weird macros or documents and you should be fine. But if Ballmer shows up at your door, run.
Even I'm not crazy enough to believe that distortion of reality

FireDrakeZ
4 months ago#9
Ok. I will stick to 2007 for now.

Here is an article on potential security issues:

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/software/is-it-safe-to-use-an-old-version-of-microsoft-office-11364006850132

" Is an obsolete Office still safe?

Even though you might not miss or want the new features found in later (and still supported) versions of Microsoft Office, and your version of Office 2000 (or whatever) still works perfectly well, you’re putting your PC at risk by using it.

Security weaknesses and bugs in Office, just like in Windows, can be exploited by hackers in a wide range of ways. A modern web browser and up-to-date anti-malware software might be able to intercept many kinds of attacks, but they can still miss one that’s delivered via an infected Word document attached to an email. Word 2016 may stop it in its tracks, but Word 2000, which hasn’t been updated in anyway since 2009? Probably not.

In fact Microsoft only fixed a serious security hole in Office 2007, 2010, 2013 in August, where “An attacker who successfully exploited the vulnerabilities could run arbitrary code in the context of the current user.”

In other words, someone could run a program on your PC without your permission, or knowledge — and that’s a very bad thing."

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
4 months ago#10
pyromania86 posted...

Microsoft has a "reinvent the wheel" complex when it comes to Office UI components. Personally, the UI has degraded since 2007, but I've seen a few "Oh, once you adapt it'll be better/faster/easier" type comments, so... /shrugs.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is it still safe to use 2007 Microsoft Office Suite?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived