This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

SB Allen's new official post is why you should always use an adblocker.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. SB Allen's new official post is why you should always use an adblocker.

User Info: JoboHotep

JoboHotep
3 months ago#101
SythisTaru posted...
Using AdBlocker is stealing; it's that simple. It's for the parasite.

Well I guess it's good I don't use an ad blocker then. I use security software that just happens to block ads.

Cool_Dude667 posted...
Im surprised these jabronies haven't tried the "disable adblock to use this website" tactic that other scummy sites use.

If that ever happens, Gamefaqs will get the same answer I give any other site that attempts that, "No thanks, I'll take my browsing somewhere else".

Knighted Dragon posted...

The FAQs are good, but the forums are a wasteland because of trolls

Really the FAQs are going downhill fast as well. I've noticed the available FAQs/walkthroughs for the last few games I've looked up have been slim to nonexistent.

Sure there's still some good stuff for a lot of older, or very popular games, but for nearly everything else a wiki page has a far greater chance of having the info you need.
i5 7600k / Hyper 212 / GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H / 8GB 17000 DDR4 / Radeon R9 280x 3GB / SanDisk Z400s 240GB SSD / EVGA 600W ATX / Windows 10 Home 64 bit

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
3 months ago#102
Yeah I haven't actually read a FAQ in years, I just use a wiki or quick google search to get a relevant forum post
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: BeyondWalls

BeyondWalls
3 months ago#103
Yeah I haven't actually read a FAQ in years

Yeah, neither has the rest of the modern world.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
3 months ago#104
BeyondWalls posted...
Yeah I haven't actually read a FAQ in years

Yeah, neither has the rest of the modern world.

Well, I would but then fewer and fewer get to be posted. It also doesn't help that some games have a lot of information, so you need a wiki for them. Also, another problem is that there are games that change a lot with DLC and/or patches, so keeping a single reference can get outdated very quickly, so it becomes hard to manage and will require a lot of maintenance.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
3 months ago#105
Honestly, wikis are pretty much just the evolution of FAQs. FAQs are largely obsolete, because they're usually just a single large document, and finding the same information you want on wikis is just much easier. Plus, a FAQ is usually written by one person, who may or may not update it with new information. Wikis can be updated by a lot of different people, and are dynamic, include MUCH more complete information and detail, and are just... superior.

Between the lack of need for FAQs these days, and the utter s*** moderation on the boards here, I honestly have a hard time seeing this site lasting another 10 years.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: shiro ashta

shiro ashta
3 months ago#106
Surprisingly no modding or topic locking/deletion yet
Currently playing: Nioh (PC), Overwatch (PC), Starcraft II campaign

User Info: TomorrowDog

TomorrowDog
3 months ago#107
KillerTruffle posted...
Honestly, wikis are pretty much just the evolution of FAQs. FAQs are largely obsolete, because they're usually just a single large document, and finding the same information you want on wikis is just much easier. Plus, a FAQ is usually written by one person, who may or may not update it with new information. Wikis can be updated by a lot of different people, and are dynamic, include MUCH more complete information and detail, and are just... superior.

Between the lack of need for FAQs these days, and the utter s*** moderation on the boards here, I honestly have a hard time seeing this site lasting another 10 years.

FAQs are basically defunct when it comes to multiplayer/grind games.

For a story-based walkthrough I haven't really seen a wiki built that streamlilnes the information you'd want... but for that matter most FAQs on this site are horrifically written as well. I just want bullet point lists and sequential instructions. Easily 3/4 of FAQs here are these paragraph monstrosities that are like text-based "Let's Play" predecessors. Speaking of "Let's Play" and tutorial/information videos, those are taking a bite out of GameFAQs too.
sub.bitballoon.com
Some browser games in various stages of completion.

User Info: Edavy89

Edavy89
3 months ago#108
@SBAllen Say something for yourself and your poorly handled s***hole of a website. We all know you see it when you are tagged, grow a pair and back up your s***ball practices please. We are *all* waiting.

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
3 months ago#109
Edavy sure is campaigning hard to get this topic locked/moderated the way he's repeatedly tagging SBAllen. Once a troll, always a troll I suppose.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
3 months ago#110
KillerTruffle posted...
Edavy sure is campaigning hard to get this topic locked/moderated the way he's repeatedly tagging SBAllen. Once a troll, always a troll I suppose.

Yeah seriously. He's just flaming and being a jerk. Constructive criticism is actually useful, and if it's ignored, you can use that as a reason to argue about the sites direction.

Just insulting and being obnoxious is just an example of the boards being super toxic
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. SB Allen's new official post is why you should always use an adblocker.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived