This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Waterfox > Firefox, Pale Moon, Chrome, and every other browser.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Waterfox > Firefox, Pale Moon, Chrome, and every other browser.

User Info: mastergamer0001

mastergamer0001
4 months ago#31
Kokuei05 posted...
Prefer Chrome on everything. Mainly because so I can share bookmarks with all of my devices which is convenient.

Firefox can do that too; you can even sync whatever tabs you have open on one device and continue your browsing on another.
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."

User Info: Hexenherz

Hexenherz
4 months ago#32
arleas posted...
I decided to try waterfox and really notice no difference from the version of Firefox I was using. Like if I didn't see the waterfox logo and nobody told me I wouldn't know this from Folgers crystals if you're old enough to remember those old commercials

So far the biggest difference I noticed was that the default search engine was Ecosia which is pretty much "use this and we donate money to save trees". 🙇🤷‍♂

It was a pretty nice alternative when Firefox didn't offer a 64-bit alternative. And now that Firefox has gone Quantum the author of Waterfox says he's going to implement certain security improvements and whatnot but otherwise it is going to become more like Pale Moon, a more independent branch.
i dont like signatures

User Info: Drifboom

Drifboom
4 months ago#33
Though the problem with Pale Moon is that they branched off to completely different code and made a bunch of addons not work themselves. They're trying to recreate the wheel and the result is a debilitated browser. They're still struggling with HTML5 video when every other browser jumped that hump a year or two ago. In a return to the mid-2000s, they removed the PDF viewer. The PM dev seems to think the web should cater to every browser there is, no matter how unpopular they are. I like how they maintain the old school pre-Australis UI, but beyond that their development attitudes are just as annoying as the Firefox team's.

Waterfox meanwhile is both backporting code from Firefox as well as re-adapting deprecated code from old versions to provide a combination of modern security and addon choice. They're basically Firefox without the obnoxious "not enough people use this, let's remove it" sentiments that have guided Firefox development for the past half a decade or so.
- DB

User Info: Hexenherz

Hexenherz
4 months ago#34
I'm kind of curious what sort of HTML5 problems you're referring to.
i dont like signatures

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 months ago#35
Drifboom posted...
the problem with Pale Moon is that they branched off to completely different code and made a bunch of addons not work themselves

Yeah, they forked the original firefox before it basically became "Chrome lite" or whatever.

Pale Moon was great initially though as a pure 64 bit browser without a lot of the fluff that bloated firefox.

One addon in particular I remember them having problems with was Adblock. The Adblock people basically said "screw you, we're not making our s*** compatible with your browser" so pale moon had to fork that too and make their own which became "Adblock Latitude".

I had to stop using Pale Moon because every site I went to recognized the browser as ancient firefox and complained that I needed to upgrade or would flat out refuse to work. If I faked the browser information it might actually still work, or it might not.

I hated not knowing if the site was going to work or not so I just gave up on it and went back to normal firefox. Hopefully waterfox doesn't go down the same path.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
https://i.imgur.com/Po5TbWg.jpg

User Info: Nixemo

Nixemo
4 months ago#36
arleas posted...
Drifboom posted...
the problem with Pale Moon is that they branched off to completely different code and made a bunch of addons not work themselves

Yeah, they forked the original firefox before it basically became "Chrome lite" or whatever.

Pale Moon was great initially though as a pure 64 bit browser without a lot of the fluff that bloated firefox.

One addon in particular I remember them having problems with was Adblock. The Adblock people basically said "screw you, we're not making our s*** compatible with your browser" so pale moon had to fork that too and make their own which became "Adblock Latitude".

I had to stop using Pale Moon because every site I went to recognized the browser as ancient firefox and complained that I needed to upgrade or would flat out refuse to work. If I faked the browser information it might actually still work, or it might not.

I hated not knowing if the site was going to work or not so I just gave up on it and went back to normal firefox. Hopefully waterfox doesn't go down the same path.

I use uBlock and NoScript together on Pale Moon and have no issues, I recommend it. Adblock stopped functioning as advertised some time ago.
"Staying in the same place, just staying out the time,
touching from a distance, further all the time."

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 months ago#37
Nixemo posted...
Adblock stopped functioning as advertised some time ago.

I didn't ever have a problem with adblock latitude, but I also used noscript so maybe that helped. It doesn't change the fact that a lot of important websites (like my bank) would flat out refuse to work on Pale Moon just because it wasn't the newest Firefox or Chrome.

I still have pale moon installed and I can use it, but there's no benefit to me to switch browsers. Like most people, all I give a s*** about is "does it work?" and it became more and more often that Pale Moon (for whatever reason) just didn't work.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
https://i.imgur.com/Po5TbWg.jpg

User Info: Drifboom

Drifboom
4 months ago#38
Yeah important sites just can't trust any random browser that isn't confirmed to have the latest security updates.

What Waterfox does is IIRC use the user agent of the latest Firefox business release (ESR) while similarly backporting the security updates from the standard user version of Firefox. Professional sites typically support the ESR releases because they're the most stable.

As for the PM HTML5 video problem, an example is how it still can't play all video qualities on YouTube due to imperfections with WebM format/VP9. They had to do a big late overhaul just to fully support H. 264. No other browser has these problems because they didn't spinoff to the most obscure codebase ever. PM is literally more obscure relative to other browsers than the Wii U is to the other consoles at this point.
- DB

User Info: zeek778

zeek778
4 months ago#39
so what is acctually the best or most secure browser? chrome, or firefox quantum?

fire fox quantum is new to me, im just hearing about it now from this thread

im currentlly using chrome with ublock and https everywere and tampermonkey

please and thanks

User Info: gamerfps

gamerfps
4 months ago#40
I'm using Firefox Quantum with Nano Adblocker and Nano Defender. Works great and gets around any sort of anti-adblock walls. I also disabled their data collection and "studies" options in the settings. I really like the UI customization options, too.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Waterfox > Firefox, Pale Moon, Chrome, and every other browser.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived