This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Waterfox > Firefox, Pale Moon, Chrome, and every other browser.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Waterfox > Firefox, Pale Moon, Chrome, and every other browser.

User Info: JoboHotep

JoboHotep
3 months ago#21
Drifboom posted...
For what it's worth NoScript for Firefox Quantum has its XSS filter back, so it's usable again as a secondary security addon, despite being a weaker content blocker than uMatrix overall.

Ah, right on, thanks for the info. Really, since I've gotten used to using uMatrix, I really like it now, but I'll keep the info about NoScript in mind in case anything ever happens to make uMatrix undesirable (programs and add-ons do that sometimes).
i5 7600k / Hyper 212 / GIGABYTE GA-Z170M-D3H / 8GB 17000 DDR4 / Radeon R9 280x 3GB / SanDisk Z400s 240GB SSD / EVGA 600W ATX / Windows 10 Home 64 bit

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
3 months ago#22
Fade2black001 posted...
Firefox has massive internal memory leak problems unless they fixed that by now....

You sound like the console peasants who still drag out old, dead arguments about why PC gaming sucks that haven't been true for over a decade.

Quantum fixed all the memory leak stuff. That was kind of the whole point. (Also, many of the leaks blamed on Firefox itself in the past seem to have been due to poorly coded extensions.)

User Info: Kokuei05

Kokuei05
3 months ago#23
Prefer Chrome on everything. Mainly because so I can share bookmarks with all of my devices which is convenient.

However, I use Firefox on Android because that's the only browser I can use ublock origin on. I also use Safari on iPad with Adguard to block ads because Firefox on iPad doesn't support plugins, wtf?
i7-6700K @ Stock | Team Vulcan 16GB 3000Mhz | Zotac 8GB GTX 1080 Mini | EA232WMI 79hz
e7470 | i5-6300U || Surface Pro 2 i5 || OnePlus 5t || iPad Air 2 9.0

User Info: Hexenherz

Hexenherz
3 months ago#24
Imagine recommending / using Ghostery, which is a company that makes money from selling analytic data to marketers/advertisers...
i dont like signatures

User Info: Hexenherz

Hexenherz
3 months ago#25
Fade2black001 posted...
Drifboom posted...
Waterfox just got updated to 56.0.2! Though I'm wary of them planning to allow addon authors to charge for addons lmao.

JoboHotep posted...
I'm just fortunate that the only two add-ons I really use were uBlock Origin and NoScript.

NoScript wasn't available for a short while in Quantum, but I got more comfortable using uMatrix, and now like it much better than I do the new NoScript, so I'm fine with using Quantum now.

For what it's worth NoScript for Firefox Quantum has its XSS filter back, so it's usable again as a secondary security addon, despite being a weaker content blocker than uMatrix overall.

PhazonReborn posted..
Using Firefox Quantum with Ghostery, Ublock and Adblock.

I don't see how you would need anything else.

If I was just blocking ads only uBlock Origin would be needed. It makes those others redundant.

Though to really lock down security/privacy many more addons would be needed.

KainFourteh posted...
Chrome is better.

Waterfox has:

- More customization.
- Stronger addons.
- Greater privacy. (pretty sure there's no way to completely turn off Google spying on your some of your activity in Chrome)

The only reason to use Chrome is speed (and the fact that it has an actual download statusbar, I guess). But Firefox Quantum is just as fast and can be tweaked more, despite being limited compared to Waterfox.

Firefox has massive internal memory leak problems unless they fixed that by now....

Pretty sure that's been fixed for like... a good half a decade now at least.

Quantum is actually really impressive. They just have a really weird way of trying to raise awareness of corporate surveillance...
i dont like signatures

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
3 months ago#26
kobalobasileus posted...
Fade2black001 posted...

You sound like the console peasants who still drag out old, dead arguments about why PC gaming sucks that haven't been true for over a decade.

Quantum fixed all the memory leak stuff. That was kind of the whole point. (Also, many of the leaks blamed on Firefox itself in the past seem to have been due to poorly coded extensions.)

Just my experience man. If I were to leave FF running for days on end and have the browser window opened everything in it, mouse cursor etc would move at like 2-3FPS. It was impossible to do anything in it and even completely closing out of it and reopening it didn't even fix the problem.
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: Voxwik

Voxwik
3 months ago#27
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Voxwik posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...
I found waterfox to be slower and more prone to crashes than firefox.

Yes, but it still supports extensions that offer real robust capabilities rather than the gutted functionality of web extensions or whatever

Losing the download status bar alone annoyed me. People are trying to bring that back last I looked, but I just hate everything about the trend in modern UI design to reduce or eliminate user choice and functionality. Mozilla outright ignored the concerns of extension developers. Things like Session Manager and many other things aren't possible with their new system.

I've tried using Chrome (considering the gutted Firefox loses its extension advantage over Chrome that was the only reason I even used Firefox) but I despise the way Chrome handles large amounts of tabs.

Oh I mean right from the start. I used waterfox before all this quantum nonsense.

Oh I have no argument there. The only reason I stayed using any form of Firefox for several years was Chrome's restrictive extension system (and my absolutely despising how it shrinks tabs, including pinned ones, rather than the more usable in my opinion way Firefox handles it).

It's surreal how lacking web extensions is. There's no reason for a download statusbar extension to have a message that it's not possible to implement it properly in the latest Firefox. Some arrogant UI team decided status bars are old news, so now simple functionality like that is impossible/difficult to achieve. I didn't realize Windows 8 was just one warning sign among many of the ongoing UI catastrophe.

User Info: arleas

arleas
3 months ago#28
I decided to try waterfox and really notice no difference from the version of Firefox I was using. Like if I didn't see the waterfox logo and nobody told me I wouldn't know this from Folgers crystals if you're old enough to remember those old commercials

So far the biggest difference I noticed was that the default search engine was Ecosia which is pretty much "use this and we donate money to save trees". 🙇🤷‍♂
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
https://i.imgur.com/Po5TbWg.jpg

User Info: helldew

helldew
3 months ago#29
yeah i just use quantum i have no real issues with it the random ram leak problems seam entirely gone now.
Competitive smash Player , random gaming news, + game dev stuff. Follow me on twitter @helldew93 #shamelessselfpromotion

User Info: Jimmys

Jimmys
3 months ago#30
I use anything that has adblocking and no script. I literally dont care about anything other than reading a web page and blocking everything possible
What Doth Life
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Waterfox > Firefox, Pale Moon, Chrome, and every other browser.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived